Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for all the tests. Just download VLC nighty build. It can play this video smoothly on the PULSE RX580 (but GPU usage 100%, not as easy as Radeon VII's 20% loading).

So, IINA isn't that good for playing extreme high bitrate video.

Last edited:

MacManu77

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2018
sorry how do you reset the procedure ... I must have done something in the terminal. the mac starts up but goes slow.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for all the tests. Just download VLC nighty build. It can play this video smoothly on the PULSE RX580 (but GPU usage 100%, not as easy as Radeon VII's 20% loading).

So, IINA isn't that good for playing extreme high bitrate video.

Are you using invisible ink for this post? My old eyes can’t handle it ;)

MacManu77

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2018
sorry how do you reset the procedure ... I must have done something in the terminal. the mac starts up but goes slow.

I understand the Mac is without Gpu acceleration.

Thank you for helping us get back into the original situation.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

NVRAM reset, then you can remove the kext
[doublepost=1558120790][/doublepost]
Are you using invisible ink for this post? My old eyes can’t handle it ;)

Sorry, my browser's dark mode extension occasionally did that :p

Reactions: crjackson2134

MacManu77

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2018
NVRAM reset, then you can remove the kext
[doublepost=1558120790][/doublepost]

Thank you very much ... I did the reset and deleted the .kext file
Now retrying the procedure from the beginning it tells me "Kext with invalid signatured" when I run sudo kextcache -update-volume /
Do I need to delete other files?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
First off, this is AWESOME! I tried Jellyfish. Before was unplayable. Here's after - smooth as butter and not much CPU or GPU load.

A question: Can I re-enable SIP without affecting this? Security is more of a thing these days.
: Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 6.25.29 PM.png

danlivas

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
Got it to work with an RX 590. However it becomes very unstable in Final Cut X when the timeline gets processor heavy. Freezes the entire system. Can someone with an RX 580 or Vega 56 please confirm flawless Final Cut performance?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
And a sort of related question - /Library/Extensions several kexts already in there. All from OWC: Promise, SoftRAID, etc. I use none of this. May I safely delete them?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
First off, this is AWESOME! I tried Jellyfish. Before was unplayable. Here's after - smooth as butter and not much CPU or GPU load.

A question: Can I re-enable SIP without affecting this? Security is more of a thing these days.
: View attachment 837660

Cannot.

Re-enable SIP will block the kext we installed. And disable GPU hwaccel.
[doublepost=1558144621][/doublepost]
And a sort of related question - /Library/Extensions several kexts already in there. All from OWC: Promise, SoftRAID, etc. I use none of this. May I safely delete them?

Better leave them there, don't touch them if you are not 100% sure what's their function
[doublepost=1558144823][/doublepost]
Got it to work with an RX 590. However it becomes very unstable in Final Cut X when the timeline gets processor heavy. Freezes the entire system. Can someone with an RX 580 or Vega 56 please confirm flawless Final Cut performance?

My FCPX is very flawless. As you can see in my demo video in the OP.

I haven't done any heavy video editing yet (with hwaccel), but I did some quick tests by adding a lot of filters / effetcs, apply optical flow, etc. No problem at all.

So, not sure if there is anything wrong in your system, or RX590 support, or hwaccel. Hopefully more RX590 users can tell you their experience.

Anyway, I assume your card is with the original ROM, and powered correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eschers and kohlson

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011

Cannot.

How is it then that we are able to install cdf's lilu kext "Innie" (to make NVMe drives appear as internal) and then re-enable SIP? (Thread here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rives-seen-as-external.2136229/#post-26433989).

Maybe cdf signed innie.kext but ForeverGreen.kext has no signature? Is that the difference?

If that's the case I wonder whether someone would be willing to sign ForeverGreen so we don't have to keep SIP disabled.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Cannot.

[doublepost=1558144621][/doublepost]

Better leave them there, don't touch them if you are not 100% sure what's their function
[doublepost=1558144823][/doublepost]

My FCPX is very flawless. As you can see in my demo video in the OP.

I haven't done any heavy video editing yet (with hwaccel), but I did some quick tests by adding a lot of filters / effetcs, apply optical flow, etc. No problem at all.

So, not sure if there is anything wrong in your system, or RX590 support, or hwaccel. Hopefully more RX590 users can tell you their experience.

Anyway, I assume your card is with the original ROM, and powered correctly.

Thanks for the update. FYI - You are posting with invisible ink again. I have to drag my mouse cursor over all of your text to get a negative highlight in order to read your posts...

Never mind, I see you were busy fixing this as I was posting... ;)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for the update. FYI - You are posting with invisible ink again. I have to drag my mouse cursor over all of your text to get a negative highlight in order to read your posts...

Never mind, I see you were busy fixing this as I was posting... ;)

Yeah, I just changed to use the Brave browser (Chrome base), it works really well for me, just looking for the best dark mode plug-in now. I am now as beta tester for one of this dark mode plugin writer. His plugin seems work well in Windows, but not that good in macOS. Causing quite a few web page display issues. Most of them are just visible on my computer. But this “invisible ink” bug is the other way around. Affect everyone else but can’t be seen on my computer (as long as dark mode still active). Until someone tell me, or when I will my post on iPhone again, then I can see the problem, and fix it accordingly.

Riot Nrrrd

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Lost Androideles
So far, no graphic card that can show boot screen and provide hwaccel in MacOS at the same time on cMP.

This is such a bummer. Given how many firmware update changes Apple has made in recent OS releases, it's a drag that they have not added any support for newer cards to the EFI.

And I read elsewhere on this Mac Pro forum that Apple no longer supports mixing cards from different manufacturers in Mojave? So I can't take out my Sapphire RADEON HD 7950 Mac Edition and put my GT 120 back in and hook it up to a small 7" monitor (for boot screen support) and slap in a nice, recent model AMD card alongside? And, conversely, I can't put the GT 120 back in and slap in a nice recent model nVIDIA card (because no Web drivers in Mojave)? Thanks a lot Apple, thanks a lot ... :rolleyes:

bazza5938

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2018
United Kingdom
This is such a bummer. Given how many firmware update changes Apple has made in recent OS releases, it's a drag that they have not added any support for newer cards to the EFI.

And I read elsewhere on this Mac Pro forum that Apple no longer supports mixing cards from different manufacturers in Mojave? So I can't take out my Sapphire RADEON HD 7950 Mac Edition and put my GT 120 back in and hook it up to a small 7" monitor (for boot screen support) and slap in a nice, recent model AMD card alongside? And, conversely, I can't put the GT 120 back in and slap in a nice recent model nVIDIA card (because no Web drivers in Mojave)? Thanks a lot Apple, thanks a lot ... :rolleyes:

As far as I'm aware (hopefully someone else can confirm) Mojave won't boot with the GT120 in there, I've no spare slots to easily check, and have been putting my flashed 7950 back in for boot screen support at the moment

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

As far as I'm aware (hopefully someone else can confirm) Mojave won't boot with the GT120 in there, I've no spare slots to easily check, and have been putting my flashed 7950 back in for boot screen support at the moment
GT120 can boot Mojave, but not GT120 + another supported GPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.