Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
I bought an iPhone X as a Christmas gift. I did not add Applecare Plus with my purchase. Obviously the iPhone will not be opened until Dec 25 at which point AppleCare Plus will most likely be added.

My question is would the AC+ start on the activation date (Dec 25) or the date I purchased the X (Dec 11)? Since the X won't be opened for another 2 weeks it would kind of suck to have AC+ being burned up.

Thanks!

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I have read that it’s the activation/setup date. Purchase date would just be silly, since you could still be waiting for shipping and not even have the phone in your possession yet.

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
I have read that it’s the activation/setup date. Purchase date would just be silly, since you could still be waiting for shipping and not even have the phone in your possession yet.

Don’t believe everything you read comes to mind.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
You have 60 days to add it

Yes I realize that. But the phone won't be activated for 2 weeks so it's kind pointless to buy the phone ahead of time. I should have bought it Dec 24. I was just at the mall last night getting my shopping done.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Apple Care and/or Apple Care Plus always starts on the date of the purchase. Otherwise you could prolong when buying it. If you don't believe what you've been told, I suggest calling Apple Customer Service and ask them.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
You lose about $4 of your $199 AppleCare, but got the phone you wanted to have come Christmas Day. If you’d have waited it might have not been available.

It's $10 out of the $249 I have to pay in Canada. $249/52 weeks X 2.

However not concerned about the money, I would rather have it start from the day of activation. I can't imagine I'm the only one who thinks this and will be going through this during Christmas. Seems illogical that AppleCare Plus time is running while the Phone is under the tree.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It's $10 out of the $249 I have to pay in Canada. $249/52 weeks X 2.

However not concerned about the money, I would rather have it start from the day of activation. I can't imagine I'm the only one who thinks this and will be going through this during Christmas. Seems illogical that AppleCare Plus time is running while the Phone is under the tree.

I hear you, but even if you don't buy AC+, the regular warranty would be running while it's in the box in any event.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Nope. The regular warranty starts from the day of activation. Not purchase date.

Where did you hear that from? Apple warranties start on the date of purchase regardless of how long it remains in the box before it's opened. You may be thinking of return date which Apple extends during the Xmas season, but the warranty date always has been and still is the date of purchase. Again, ask Apple Customer Support. :apple:

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Where did you hear that from? Apple warranties start on the date of purchase regardless of how long it remains in the box before it's opened. You may be thinking of return date which Apple extends during the Xmas season, but the warranty date always has been and still is the date of purchase. Again, ask Apple Customer Support. :apple:

Go buy an iPhone today. Activate it next week. Plug your serial number in here:

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/ca/en/

Tell me what date you get.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
So there is no warranty until it's activated?? Say you are beyond the return period and it won't activate. Then what? No warranty...

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
So there is no warranty until it's activated?? Say you are beyond the return period and it won't activate. Then what? No warranty...

There is warranty but the hardware warranty won't begin until you plug your SIM in and start using the phone.

Why wouldn't it activate? I'm sure special circumstances would be made in that case.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Yes I realize that. But the phone won't be activated for 2 weeks so it's kind pointless to buy the phone ahead of time. I should have bought it Dec 24.

You should've bought it a year from now so you could have AC+ until 2020!

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
You should've bought it a year from now so you could have AC+ until 2020!
Not sure what you're alluding to by that statement. And I don't think my inquiry is out of line at all. The phone is going to be wrapped under a tree for 2 weeks and AppleCare plus will be running down on it. I don't think that makes sense is all I'm saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.