Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blondie&Dagwood

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
1) A highly unusual situation, but it's not hard to have the policy defined so if AC+ was already purchased prior to activation and there was an accident the date should be adjusted to the date of purchase.

Oh, so now you want to bake your own cake and eat it too. No insurance company in the world would allow the policy to be backdated only if an incident takes place before the policy start date. It can only be one or the other, and I dont think the risk is that low either. That phone could still be at risk sitting under the x-mas tree still in the box. Your scenario is the same as me paying an insurance company for life insurance with my policy coverage effective only from when I start my job for a security firm in Syria, yet then dying on the plane to Syria and then asking the Insurance Company to backdate the policy as I died after I purchased the policy but before it became effective.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Your scenario is the same as me paying an insurance company for life insurance with my policy coverage effective only from when I start my job for a security firm in Syria, yet then dying on the plane to Syria and then asking the Insurance Company to backdate the policy as I died after I purchased the policy but before it became effective.

Oh come on, this is not at all the same thing. Apple is the insurer - they are not an insurance company by function - and this is a value add they offer. Their brand is built off being consumer friendly. This accommodation should be put more in the basket of them striking the 10% restocking fee years ago. How much does it cost them vs. how much goodwill does it bring by making insurance coverage less wonky? Seriously, it's a super edge case that would have virtually no impact to their bottom line.

Blondie&Dagwood

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Oh come on, this is not at all the same thing. Apple is the insurer - they are not an insurance company by function - and this is a value add they offer. Their brand is built off being consumer friendly. This accommodation should be put more in the basket of them striking the 10% restocking fee years ago. How much does it cost them vs. how much goodwill does it bring by making insurance coverage less wonky? Seriously, it's a super edge case that would have virtually no impact to their bottom line.

Value add? At $200 a pop, I am pretty sure Apple makes a helluva profit from the AppleCare+ add on. HardLy a value add, they are just trying to make more money by also selling in-house Insurance. I agree it doesn’t even begin to touch the bottom line, but I am pretty confident Apple won’t get much additional goodwill from adding a few weeks to AppleCare customers who waited a few weeks between purchasing the phone and activating it. In fact I betcha more than 99% of customers activate their phones upon receipt or within a day or two, so moot point to be quite honest. I can think of quite a few other areas where Apple can get more goodwill instead of extending their insurance plan to a very small minority of customers who are going ape sh@t over it - the first one being to allow customers to voluntarily downgrade to a previous IOS version if they so choose - now that’s where Apple can truly ean some goodwill

Reactions: haruhiko

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Value add? At $200 a pop, I am pretty sure Apple makes a helluva profit from the AppleCare+ add on. HardLy a value add, they are just trying to make more money by also selling in-house Insurance.

Of course they make profit, they're a business. But they're a consumer products company and it's going to be structured entirely different than how an actual insurance company works. Keep in mind AC+ was introduced after the iPhone 4 came out, being the fragile thing it was, pretty much due to customer demand for accidental insurance - so yes, it is absolutely a value add, because once again, they're a consumer products company responding to demand, not an insurance agency.

In fact I betcha more than 99% of customers activate their phones upon receipt or within a day or two, so moot point to be quite honest.

So you're arguing my point then? Cheers to that.

Seriously speaking though, a customer for Apple is extremely valuable. They tend to be loyal for years, some for life, on high margin products. So losing just a small handful for some very infrequent edge case is very costly vs. the what it would cost them to take a more consumer friendly policy. This is the reason why Apple gives their AC reps agency to go outside written policy to make an irate customer happy.

I can think of quite a few other areas where Apple can get more goodwill instead of extending their insurance plan to a very small minority of customers who are going ape sh@t over it - the first one being to allow customers to voluntarily downgrade to a previous IOS version if they so choose - now that’s where Apple can truly ean some goodwill

These concepts have absolutely no relation. Yes, they can do all sorts of consumer friendly things. This is not a zero sum game for goodwill where you have to take from one basket and put it into another because it puts too much strain on resources within the company.

Reactions: KrisLord

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Don’t believe everything you read comes to mind.

See below ;)

From the confirmation email I got from Apple:

"Thank you for purchasing AppleCare+.

This certificate confirms AppleCare+ coverage for your iPhone listed below. Your Coverage End Date will automatically adjust to two years from the date you first activate your iPhone."

My email says the same thing. I have no idea why people are still arguing this. Does no one read their emails??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.