Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Nice :D Can't wait to check it out :)

Edit: Ok, I like. Buddy icons in contact list was one of the few things I missed and now it's there. I haven't checked out anything else, but it was enough for me to send a little donation :)

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
Australia
if for some reason someone who is still using msn chat is reading this, please, for your own sake, upgrade to Adium!

I just changed the other day and now I can chat to my aim and msn friends on the one program. I can't believe I waited this long.

I used to enjoy iChat for its simplicity, but there's no doubt it lacks half the features or customization of Adium. Msn chat for Mac doesn't even get close to Adium either.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
upgraded last night. on the first launch everything worked well. on the second, well, it didn't start up anymore :p ..so I had to downgrade back to 0.63. I have to see what I can do about this. I wouldn't like to delete all my prefs and such.

anyways the 0.7 seemed nice. I don't really care that much about the icons next to the names because I don't want clutter on my desktop. luckily there still are themes for my needs. actually the only thing that was missing is translucency. That was one of the best things about the interface on 0.63.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Windowlicker said:
actually the only thing that was missing is translucency. That was one of the best things about the interface on 0.63.
It's still there in 0.7, sorry, not at my Mac to tell you where though, perhaps someone else can help?

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Yep, this is awesome. It's the first version that I actually really like the contact list. With all the features that they'll be adding still till version 1.0 comes out it'll be one awesome client.
Btw, for those that didn't know... in version 0.8 they'll be adding the available messages support.
Unfortunately audio/video chat is still a good while away and when it arrives it's not known whether it'll reach the quality of ichat.
There's just something about it that doesn't make me like having two clients open...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Diatribe said:
Unfortunately audio/video chat is still a good while away and when it arrives it's not known whether it'll reach the quality of ichat.
There's just something about it that doesn't make me like having two clients open...

Totally agree...and wish there was some good way to get MSN webcamming on my Mac. :( I also can't wait to try initiating a multi-person chat from Adium. That's another feature I used that drove me to MSN msngr or iChat periodically....

But the contact list is very nice, although I had to spend about 10-15 minutes massaging it to get it back on the screen at once. Some of the size adjustment sliders seem kind of goofy -- I find them very hard to control, and the size limitations are strange. So I wanted my contact list in a single full screen height column, with everyone showing, with no scroll bar. I had that fine in 0.63, and I got in 0.7, but I had to go to an 8 point font and get rid of the avatars / status icons to make it fit, because they couldn't size down beyond 12x12. Which admittedly is just a slightly cuter looking version of what I had with 0.63. But still nice.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
mkrishnan said:
Totally agree...and wish there was some good way to get MSN webcamming on my Mac. :( I also can't wait to try initiating a multi-person chat from Adium. That's another feature I used that drove me to MSN msngr or iChat periodically....

But the contact list is very nice, although I had to spend about 10-15 minutes massaging it to get it back on the screen at once. Some of the size adjustment sliders seem kind of goofy -- I find them very hard to control, and the size limitations are strange. So I wanted my contact list in a single full screen height column, with everyone showing, with no scroll bar. I had that fine in 0.63, and I got in 0.7, but I had to go to an 8 point font and get rid of the avatars / status icons to make it fit, because they couldn't size down beyond 12x12. Which admittedly is just a slightly cuter looking version of what I had with 0.63. But still nice.

We'll see when iChat 3.0 is out with Jabber support if there'd be a possibility for a plugin that could enable msn or yahoo.
For now I will stay with iChat and just ignore everyone on msn because I know quite some people that I do video/audio-chatting with but I do have to agree that Adium is very nice.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
...I'll just be happy if it manages to fix my screwed up ICQ lists. I can tell when people come online, and they can chat with me, but I cannot initiate a chat with them.

I'd be ecstatic if I could paste in screenshots. I use that in iChat every day.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Diatribe said:
We'll see when iChat 3.0 is out with Jabber support if there'd be a possibility for a plugin that could enable msn or yahoo.
For now I will stay with iChat and just ignore everyone on msn because I know quite some people that I do video/audio-chatting with but I do have to agree that Adium is very nice.

Hmmm...interesting...so Jabber can gateway to an MSN chat server?

Yeah, I use Adium primarily because I have too many friends on MSN....But I don't really do video / audio chatting...I'd like to though.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
I love almost everything about Adium. It's a great client with great features. However, I cannot seem to direct connect with it. Because of that, I unfortunately have to use the default AIM client.

Has anyone managed to get it to work?

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
don't leave out proteus... its like adium, but more things are customizable... which is why I use it, I can't make the contact list look the way I want it to in Adium. Also, the main reason for me Proteus is superior, IM windows have the tabs on the side, so you can see what the tab says if you are talking to more then 3 people.

Proteus 4.0b8 Released
http://www.proteusx.com/

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
It's quite ridiculous that a software company keeps releasing a title in beta, time after time, again. It's stupid that they can't even commit to a solid 1.0 build. Until they have something concrete, and besides that, something special and really unique, iChat is the only way to go for me...Especially the new iChat in Tiger...

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
The 0.7 isn't really a beta. It's a solid release that has had many betas and several release candidates before it. I've been watching the development and can say the developers are doing a great job, and this is a major release for Adium, with many new features, not just further bug fixes.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
mms said:
The 0.7 isn't really a beta. It's a solid release that has had many betas and several release candidates before it. I've been watching the development and can say the developers are doing a great job, and this is a major release for Adium, with many new features, not just further bug fixes.

If it's not 1.0 or higher...It's beta. No matter how many new features it has, if they can't release a set build at 1.0, then SOMETHING is wrong. What are they waiting for? The new iChat in Tiger to blow them out of the water?

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
jet3004 said:
If it's not 1.0 or higher...It's beta. No matter how many new features it has, if they can't release a set build at 1.0, then SOMETHING is wrong. What are they waiting for? The new iChat in Tiger to blow them out of the water?

Its just a naming convention. Normally, you're right, less than 1 is beta, over 1 is finished products. Apple has a different naming convention too. Normally, you wouldn't see 10.3 '.5'

also, Adium isn't made by a company, its an open-source program that has a few key developers and a larger group of testers. It kind of resembles MacRumors, with Arn and the mods and then the users.

As for iChat Tiger, Adium is a different kind of client, its not going to compete with iChat since it doesn't have any form of AV capabilities.

(Not out yet) In iChat Tiger, you can talk to 3 different people in a video conference

(Out already) In Adium, you can talk to people who use a wide variety of chat clients: MSN, icq, and quite a few of the other ones like 'Gadu-Gadu', Yahoo, Lotus and Novell, Napster and Zephyr.

So as you can probably tell, these are quite different.

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
mms said:

I agree. Adium is a wonderful client, and is still under development. I've been using it since the beginning - and I would never look back. The developers are doing superb work - roll on v1.0.

Make the switch, AdiumX! Theres a marketing campaign in there somewhere.

Andy.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
mkrishnan said:
Hmmm...interesting...so Jabber can gateway to an MSN chat server?

Yeah, I use Adium primarily because I have too many friends on MSN....But I don't really do video / audio chatting...I'd like to though.

See, the thing is jabber can but I am not sure if the jabber support in Tiger actually means that there could be a plugin... wait and see I guess but I am sure hoping.
20%-30% of the people I know use msn and I just choose to ignore them. Why do I have to be the one with two clients open? ;)

And yes, it is really nice to video-chat, especially when you're in a different country and can do it with friends and family.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
jet3004 said:
It's quite ridiculous that a software company keeps releasing a title in beta, time after time, again. It's stupid that they can't even commit to a solid 1.0 build. Until they have something concrete, and besides that, something special and really unique, iChat is the only way to go for me...Especially the new iChat in Tiger...

You're kidding, right? If you you really believe what you're saying then this is quite ridiculous, you're correct.
First of all this is no "software company". These are part time programmers that do something for the community. Secondly, if there are features yet to be implemented this is commonly called a beta. If you do not want to use a beta... don't but stop whining about free software and use iChat like I do.
Oh, and they have something really unique that iChat does not support... they support all the other services too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.