Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
They'd still need a decent base to hold it down. And if it was a 23" it would have to be a pretty big base - sort of defeating the purpose of a thin panel.

But I can't wait to see the new designs!

D

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
It'd be nice if it was as adjustable as the iMac display. Maybe even do the same set-up, but with a very small and dense/heavy base. That way it would have a small footprint, but because you don't need to worry about what is stored in there they could make it heavy enough to counteract the torque from a 23". Hmmmm, anyone know if OLED's are lighter than other screens? I think they are, and that would help a lot. Just a thought.

tacojohn

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2001
Redwood City, CA
wouldn't it be cool to have a heavy base w/ optical drive, firewire ports, USB, and iPod dock? All with a single cable going to the CPU...

That way the base could be heavy and have as much adjustibility as the iMac- kinda like the really thin sony displays that have the seperate box, but connect the display to the box and put an optical drive and stuff in there.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Re: How 'bout

Originally posted by ennerseed
Portrait, please
You may want this (and I would while playing MAME!) but I don't think there's a large demand for it. Maybe we need a poll for this question!

bwawn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
OLEDS are in every way better than LCDS. Lighter, more effecient, and just plain better.

Yes, and you shouldn't expect affordable OLED displays in the 17" and up range for another two years, and even then they'll probably be pretty expensive until the manufacturing process is completely refined.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by bwawn
Yes, and you shouldn't expect affordable OLED displays in the 17" and up range for another two years, and even then they'll probably be pretty expensive until the manufacturing process is completely refined.
OLED prices are getting better. The catch is that nobody has even ventured into the world of big OLEDs. Remember, Think Secret thinks that's where Apple's displays are headed.

But, about the LCD rumor, this is a truly vague report from LoopRumors if I ever one. It's more speculation and wishful thinking than anything else. They don't even explain how it would really work.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
More Flexible

I know I like my original 15 inch LCD betetr than my ADC 15 screen. I liek the tilt, swivel and height adjustments.
In the day of ergonomics, this is an area where adjustability is key. One big complaint I have heard about apple monitors is that is requires an expensive desk to properly adjust the screen to the user, while a cheaper screen or PC can be adjusted to most desks to a safe viewing placement.
I think the introduction of screens with more adjustments will be welcome in many settings that take ergonomics seriosuly and for those with some limited desk realestate.

jg3

macrumors member
May 3, 2002
Urbana, IL
I still love my 15-inch Studio Display to pieces. It's very adjustable, stylish, and you can even take it off its base. I hope Apple goes with something like it again.

apple%20studio%20display%20lcd.GIF

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
The entire powermac line, tower / displays / keyboard / mouse all need freshing up. It was slick looking 2 years ago... but now it is just MOTS (more of the same).

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
how much less adjustable are they than other brand lcd's? i have an el cheapo 15" lcd that i rarely use, and it's actually less adjustable than the apple ones.

how heavy is the 23"?

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
This is GREAT if it's true - as far as I can tell, my 15" is almost completely non-adjustable, altho it is a beautiful pixel-perfect monitor... but LoopRumors hasn't been accurate in the past. Definitely page 2.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by yzedf
The entire powermac line, tower / displays / keyboard / mouse all need freshing up. It was slick looking 2 years ago... but now it is just MOTS (more of the same).

Ditto on that. Except for the 17" iMac. I still think this is the sexiest machine ever built (not counting the Cherry 2000).

bikertwin

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
This Old House
It's not just the adjustability that needs to change. The current Apple LCD monitors are huge, with tons of wasted space.

Notice how large the bezel is on an Apple 17" Studio display compared to an NEC display. Apple's 17" monitors are as big as other companies' 19" LCD monitors.

They need to be sleeker. That should also make them lighter.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
I don't really know if this is just me, or if it is some non-Apple monitor, but has anyone seen the picture at the bottom of the WWDC page on apple.com?

Sure looks to me like an adjustable display....

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/

Right there.

Someone please just let me know if i am seeing things or what...

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
really?

i dont see the iMac base...

Oh well, i probably just dont see things like most people do.. lol

Thanx for clearing that up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.