Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
gees, i have bad vision.

I see it perfectly now.

Oh well, and here i thought i had started a new rumor....

:)

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
VESA mounting plate

If only we could have a VESA mounting plate at the back of those screens (I know it would not be very nice to look at, but then who looks at the back of their monitor), then people would be able to choose from a very wide range of mounting solutions. This, added to a pivoting capability, would be very, very good and would prove a more viable business solution.

My 0.02 ¢.

NicoMan

ouketii

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2003
i think the 23" lcd would be too big for the imac-style hinge base, don't you? the 17" screen already feels heavy on it. i'm sure apple will think of another way to make the big screens tilt and swivel

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
apple will not go farther than 17" with the current iMacs. hy are consumer, not professionals. i want a side panel on the moniter with a few ports that can be consealed when you don't want them showing. on the side though.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
apple will not go farther than 17" with the current iMacs. hy are consumer, not professionals..

What? A professional Network engineer doesn't need a 19" monitor nor does a professional attorney, or a professional professor, a professional gamer does. A professional DVD enthusiast does, as well as graphic designers and animators. There's probably a bigger market for larger monitors in the consumer space than the "professional" space as I think you are defining it.

Making the PowerMac more iMac like, will do wonders for it's sales. And not necessarily to "professionals."

If this rumor is true it is very, very exciting.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i didn't mean it owuldn't be wanted, but i thiink they have it at just the right size, and that people like average consumers are not gonna want a 23inch iMac.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
i didn't mean it owuldn't be wanted, but i thiink they have it at just the right size, and that people like average consumers are not gonna want a 23inch iMac.

Anyway, a 23inch screen on a consumer machines would make it too expensive.
As much as I like the iMac's design, I don't see it getting a bigger screen than 17" 16/10 ratio. I cannot imagine that without the looks of the iMac being ruined. Now if we get a headless consumer machine (I hear people jumping up and down at the thought of a new Cube) then people will have the choice. But it doesn't change the fact that the ergonomics of those Apple screens need to be updated. Bring me a VESA mounting plate so I can rack'em up!!!

NicoMan

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
i actually read that OLEDS are also easier to make, with less required parts to assemble than LCDS.

I believe they are printed, much like an inkjet technology - each color dot is sprayed on in a certain density, plus it can be printed onto plastics (which DuPont has been heavily promoting as where the technology should be going). Imagine a foldable display (or you could even roll it UP!).

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
if you were to add dual arms, it would lose almost all flexability. except movig up and down. unless if that's what you want, thats not a good idea.

fred_garvin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
Monitor Design

What I would like to see is the displays of all sizes connected to the iMac style arm, with a connector of some sort at the bottom of the arm, and no base. For iMac orders, Apple could just snap on or screw on an iMac base to the display. For stand alone display orders, Apple could just screw in a weighted base with adc connector at the back and usb ports at the front.

The base could simply be filled with lead or whatnot. It would jsut have to be heavy enough, so that at the most extreme adjustment to the 23" display, the base does not come close to tipping over.

This would increase flexibility of managing inventory, reducing cost, hopefully to the point that would offset the increased cost of the modular design over the current iMac design. It would also allow Apple to offer a BTO 20 and 23" imac if the base is heavy enough. Over the years when the iMac is outdated, but the display is still great, users could just order a new iMac base, and reuse the display.

This would also work great if the headless cheap mac sold were simply an iMac with a cap at the top instead of the display. Now users can get into a mac cheap, and add the display down the road.

With current offerings, Apple needs an affordable tower, because displays and computers become outdated at vastly different rates. I'd get an iMac, but I can't justify tossing the display when the computer is outdated and repurchasing the entire setup.

fred_garvin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
Does anyone know how much bandwidth ADC is capable of? If Apple upgrades from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0, will ADC be able to support the USB 2.0 speed?

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by zarathustra
I believe they are printed, much like an inkjet technology - each color dot is sprayed on in a certain density, plus it can be printed onto plastics (which DuPont has been heavily promoting as where the technology should be going). Imagine a foldable display (or you could even roll it UP!).

some types of OLEDs can, in fact, be printed using an inkjet-like process. A bit of a reality check is needed here though. OLEDs have a ton of potential, but as of right now they don't have much of anything else. And they've been "a year away" for several years now... When they do arrive though, odds are you'll use one in your phone or digital camera well before you buy an Studio display based on OLED. In fact, OLEDs probably won't replace desktop LCDs for quite a while, even if they could be produced in those sizes.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by andyduncan
some types of OLEDs can, in fact, be printed using an inkjet-like process. A bit of a reality check is needed here though. OLEDs have a ton of potential, but as of right now they don't have much of anything else. And they've been "a year away" for several years now... When they do arrive though, odds are you'll use one in your phone or digital camera well before you buy an Studio display based on OLED. In fact, OLEDs probably won't replace desktop LCDs for quite a while, even if they could be produced in those sizes.

Mister wet blanket!:rolleyes: :p

You are right - OLEDs will be insanely expensive in any larger consumer display/TV. The DuPont demo model is like 2" diagonally in 2 colors. And the one that has been circulating on this board, with a 15" screen, true color - is prohibitively expensive.

gezzas525

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2003
Iam waiting for apple to fix the response time issue which ive found the display to smear/blur all over the place.

I hope a manufacturer will produce somin like this

20-23 WideScreen LCD
<10ms responce
600:1 contrast ratio

blah blah

AND YES I NEED 10ms or lower, looks like ill be heading for another CRT!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.