Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today debuted several new AI features for Premiere Pro, software designed for professional video editing. Adobe's Premiere Pro is set to gain useful editing functions powered by generative AI, which will let video editors do more with less work.

With a Generative Extend feature, Premiere Pro will be able to add frames to make video clips longer, allowing for properly timed edits and smooth transitions by extending a scene.

Objects in videos will also be able to be added or removed through smart selection and tracking tools. Adobe says that video editors can do things like remove an unwanted item, change an actor's wardrobe, or add set dressings like paintings on the wall or plants on a desk.

Perhaps the most interesting new feature is an option to create new video footage directly within Premiere Pro using a text to video feature. Users will be able to type text into a prompt or upload images to create video, and the resulting clips can be used for B-roll, creating storyboards, and more.

Adobe plans to introduce these generative AI tools later in 2024.

Apple has its own professional video editing software, Final Cut Pro. Final Cut Pro is a Premiere Pro competitor, and as of now, it is lacking in the AI department. Apple has not announced any AI features for Final Cut Pro, but with AI capabilities rumored to be coming to multiple apps in iOS 18 and macOS 15, we could perhaps see some new AI feature additions for Final Cut Pro.

Article Link: Adobe Premiere Pro Gains AI Tools to Add and Remove Objects From Videos, Extend Clips and More

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Apple has its own professional video editing software, Final Cut Pro. Final Cut Pro is a Premiere Pro competitor, and as of now, it is lacking in the AI department. Apple has not announced any AI features for Final Cut Pro, but with AI capabilities rumored to be coming to multiple apps in iOS 18 and macOS 15, we could perhaps see some new AI feature additions for Final Cut Pro.
Generative AI is all plagiarism, and not something I want to see Apple come out "ahead" in

relaxedpanda

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2023
Stolen art. Stolen ideas. Stolen creativity. Sponsored by corporate greed and power.

The only losers who truly like this stuff are people who do nothing creative and look at these tools as some way for them to fool around with something they have zero clue how to replicate.

AI is death to the arts

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Wow... I really hate the Adobe from the last 10-15 years, but all the AI features they've been releasing in the last year make me reconsider. This is all pretty freakin amazing to be honest.

I hope rivals like Pixelmator and Final Cut will come up with something too. Pixelmator is one of the best pieces of software out there.

Reactions: Amazing Iceman

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Generative AI is all plagiarism, and not something I want to see Apple come out "ahead" in
To subscribe to such is to suggest all human education is plagiarism. Perhaps it is true. We teach by example in everything we do. Open a textbook, visit a museum, attend a concert. We learn by watching and replicating what we see, hear, taste and feel. Teaching AI is no different. Some people and AI's will have better success with their talent than others.

Final Cut Pro is good but it's lagging behind the competition.
Apple should have had built AI into FCPX and Logic years ago. Stem separation has been around for years and we hear crickets from Logic. Now we have generative AI tools that create music. The distraction and expenditure of time and money on Vision Pro has not revealed a viable use case. So there will be no ROI. Apple's grave mistake could be existential if they cannot turn things around and start embracing AI seriously.

Last edited:

xDENTALPLANx

macrumors regular
May 22, 2018
New Zealand
The only losers who truly like this stuff are people who do nothing creative and look at these tools as some way for them to fool around with something they have zero clue how to replicate.

What are you even talking about? As a professional video editor these new tools will be an absolute game changer.

Just the ability to add a few extra frames where the camera op has cut too early will massively improve many situations I work with on a daily basis.

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
What are you even talking about? As a professional video editor these new tools will be an absolute game changer.

Just the ability to add a few extra frames where the camera op has cut too early will massively improve many situations I work with on a daily basis.
It’s just fools parotting a view they have picked up from elsewhere on the internet. ”text to image = bad, which means AI = bad”. Heck, even the initial premise is flawed, though I do understand some illustrators’ frustration at least.

Meanwhile, those of us who already work with editing aren’t really that upset that rotoscoping tools and interpolation techniques continue to improve. This will lead to better things, not worse.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
But Adobe is utter evil. The second you install it on your mac it makes the machine work like a zombie. It automatically updates without your consent, all this “creative cloud” b$.

Hopefully there is and always has been Pixelmator that is one-time purchase and literally the reason I am not going back to any Windows machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: lars666
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.