Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
So video editors are out of work now.
So simple even a cat kneading a keyboard can make pro graphics!
True! There are already apps that will create movies out of footage with all the cuts, so this is another step to a sad future of video editing with automated one-button clicks.

ducknalddon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2018
A little anxious are we? It's a fantastic feature and will actually make my life a lot easier! Really looking forward to all the other features that AI implementation will make.
Easy things have very little value, as you will see when the flood of AI generated content arrives.

Reactions: lfaa

orderoftheditch

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2021
I think this is a bit of a joke. In the preview video they don't show the clips with AI content for very long - the quality looks rough and low. This might be fine for YouTubers but the quality of the AI looks too bad for serious professional use.
Adobe would be better off improving the stability of PP and fixing the autocaption AI which still isn't good enough based on my tests.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Motorola68000

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2022
Interesting to note that Adobe Premiere Pro specifications:
Apple desktops: Current Mac Pros, iMac Pros, M1 iMacs, and Mac minis with AT LEAST 16GB of memory....

Laptops: MacBook Pro laptops with AT LEAST 16GB of memory....

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
Stolen art. Stolen ideas. Stolen creativity. Sponsored by corporate greed and power.

The only losers who truly like this stuff are people who do nothing creative and look at these tools as some way for them to fool around with something they have zero clue how to replicate.

AI is death to the arts
I don’t see how automating tedious processes such as rotoscoping translates to that.

Once upon a time you had to write everything by hand, then came the typewriter.

Reactions: xalea and arkitect

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
One only can wonder how one of largest by market cap and cash reserves companies on Earth, Apple, got so late in AI, despite spending presumably billions of dollars on AI car research...all of Apple's software is so outdated it is not even funny. I am saying this as a legit purchaser of Final Cut, Logic and Compressor and Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iPad Air and Mac Mini all with M processors and avid user of Pages, Keynote and Numbers (despite having Office 365 license, I still prefer Apple software). Compare this situation to coPilot in Windows, AI in Google products, Gen AI in Adobe and not mentioning millions of smaller startups...While Logic and Final have some rudimentary AI tools like removing background or assisting mastering, compared to what other companies do, this is very primitive and AI is outright non-existent in Apple's office programs. It doesn't exist in its Calendars or Reminders, Siri is as useless as ever and don't even mention Apple's Mail or other software.. Half of its computers and smartphones just CAN't use AI because of RAM limitations and yet they insist on 8GB as a base...No wonder Mac, iPad and iPhone sales are in such dire situation. Without the huge Chinese market, sales are tanking and yet the company can't even make a decent calculator app for its tablet offerings. Sonoma is so buggy and iPad, presumably a PC, can't even format a USB or have a normal desktop files app.

Last edited:
Reactions: xalea and arkitect

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Apple desktops: Current Mac Pros, iMac Pros, M1 iMacs, and Mac minis with AT LEAST 16GB of memory....

I see nothing weird here.
Trying to use a professional grade app with 8GB of shared memory would honestly be foolish...
In 2024, asking for 16GB as the base requirement is 100% appropriate.

Last edited:
Reactions: hans1972 and xalea

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Coming to an app near you soon! Even if you lack the talent, grit, drive, or dedication to be great at your craft, we will release a tool so your mediocre work can be better! Prediction... lots of average gray material clogging all channels. And the few with raw talent that use this as a tool to assist an already creative skillset... will go virtually unnoticed Because it'll be treated so subtly that most won't notice it (except the staff that is now out of work or paid less because AI can do their work in fractions of seconds). Nice tool, but too many will lean on it as a solution.

Motorola68000

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2022
I see nothing weird here.
Trying to use a professional grade app with 8GB of shared memory would honestly be foolish...
In 2024, asking for 16GB as the base requirement is 100% appropriate.
That was the point. Totally agree with you. If Apple want to produce a MacBook Pro that is by their own definition on 8Gb able to undertake basic tasks, then they should rename it the MacBook Basic.

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
Not quite the place for this, but here goes. Was reading about AI music startup udio.com. I am not sure where I stand on the whole set of issues related to AI trained on artists work. But sometimes -- even these early gens -- are shocking. I love the blues, and searched on udio for something bluesy. Gotta say this is pretty darn good, shockingly good. If you love the blues, it is worth a click to listen. Good signing/playing -- really good. Link:

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
That was the point. Totally agree with you. If Apple want to produce a MacBook Pro that is by their own definition on 8Gb able to undertake basic tasks, then they should rename it the MacBook Basic.
I absolutely don't understand Apple still offering an 8GB option on the Pros...

Believe me, I have met people who complained about the supposedly low performance of their shiny new macbook "Pro", only to discover they were trying to edit 4K raw videos (with effects) on an 8GB machine.

I know it sounds stupid...but some people believe any version of the macbook Pro should excell at any pro application because "Pro" is in the name.

Apple should literally just drop the 8GB option alltogether, especially since ram usage will only grow with time.
I'd go as far as to remove the option for 8GB even on the Airs.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Generative AI is all plagiarism, and not something I want to see Apple come out "ahead" in
Regardless of what each of us thinks, Apple needs to be competitive and stay relevant.
If literally every other company (both software and hardware) is leaning hard into AI, Apple has a responsibility to respond, even if a large part of us might end up not using the tools, even once.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

It's difficult to believe that video processing requires tremendous computer resources. :rolleyes:
😆

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I absolutely don't understand Apple still offering an 8GB option on the Pros...

Believe me, I have met people who complained about the supposedly low performance of their shiny new macbook "Pro", only to discover they were trying to edit 4K raw videos (with effects) on an 8GB machine.

I know it sounds stupid...but some people believe any version of the macbook Pro should excell at any pro application because "Pro" is in the name.

Apple should literally just drop the 8GB option alltogether, especially since ram usage will only grow with time.
I'd go as far as to remove the option for 8GB even on the Airs.
Some people don’t need more than 8 GB, because they only use it to browse the web, check for email and watch photos. But if these same people start learning to do more, they will run into a wall.
So I do agree with you. An I think 8GB in 2024 is an insult; after the OS and video overhead what’s left is not much. Their line up should start at 16GB RAM.
My MBP PRO M1 has 64 GB and I’m always maxing it out.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
In the meanwhile , Apple’s Final Cut team is 😴 😴😴
I own Final Cut Pro but switched using DaVinci Resolve. It’s much better and they keep updating it.
I can see Apple axing the software.
I have no idea what Apple Pro software teams doing all year!

Yeah, they keep updating Resolve by throwing in new features left, right, top, down, in a dock, in a bar, in a drop down menu, right click, middle click. They just don't know where to put them anymore. UI got so convoluted that editing features are found in icons, expanded icons, right clicks on a clip, right click between two clips, in a drop down menu, then in a submenu. They are all over the place.

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
Objects in videos will also be able to be added or removed through smart selection and tracking tools. Adobe says that video editors can do things like remove an unwanted item, change an actor's wardrobe, or add set dressings like paintings on the wall or plants on a desk.

Perhaps the most interesting new feature is an option to create new video footage directly within Premiere Pro using a text to video feature. Users will be able to type text into a prompt or upload images to create video, and the resulting clips can be used for B-roll, creating storyboards, and more.

As much as I've been kind of outspoken about disliking most of the AI I've seen hyped, lately? I think some of what Adobe has done with it might be the better way forward.

My issue with most of these web sites claiming to draw illustrations of anything you ask for is, they don't seem to REALLY be capable of drawing or painting a single thing? I think what they've actually done is found a way to identify objects in existing art/drawings people made and they index all of that into a database. When you ask it to "Draw a red house by the road with a yellow flower in the front yard.", it just does a mash-up of those objects, lifted out of artist's paintings. Obviously, even THIS technology still has a lot of rough edges -- such as inability to accurately put the proper number of fingers and toes on people. But even if they can perfect those flaws? It's entirely running on real humans' efforts that are just getting copy/pasted together. It's like calling yourself a "musician" when all you do for every song you make is digitally sample pieces of other existing songs and paste them all together in different patterns.

Adobe's implementation of AI in apps like Photoshop interests me more, because they're leveraging it as a tool to help a human artist create a new work. You can take your own original photo and load it in, and maybe ask the AI to change something like making it look like a winter scene, despite it being taken in the summer. But it's really all based around your original photo.

AI assisting with time-consuming tasks, such as removing an object from a whole video, sounds like another place where it can be a helpful tool, vs trying to replace the human creator.

In general, I think this is where AI can deliver on its promises. Find places where it can automate tedious or repetitive tasks a person wants to do in the process of creating or editing something. The pursuit of "replacing" the human seems like it will always fall flat in the end. (Computers don't have feelings/emotions. And those are what drive the pursuit of creating good art.)

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Some people don’t need more than 8 GB, because they only use it to browse the web, check for email and watch photos. But if these same people start learning to do more, they will run into a wall.
So I do agree with you. An I think 8GB in 2024 is an insult; after the OS and video overhead what’s left is not much. Their line up should start at 16GB RAM.
My MBP PRO M1 has 64 GB and I’m always maxing it out.
I max out my 128GB, and I don't do VFX for Marvel films 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Amazing Iceman

dylanwho

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
LA/PDX
To subscribe to such is to suggest all human education is plagiarism. Perhaps it is true. We teach by example in everything we do. Open a textbook, visit a museum, attend a concert. We learn by watching and replicating what we see, hear, taste and feel. Teaching AI is no different. Some people and AI's will have better success with their talent than others.
So humans have been scraping every available knowledge base without permission or constraint to do anything? We literally have the word plagiarism to describe where the line is on cheating. Folks with low expectations of humanity like this will be the ones that let the wolf all the way in, thinking they'll maybe be eaten last. Fun times!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.