Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
They've been pulling flash forever. It wasn't until jelly bean that you begin getting device not supported message in the play store.

Give it about a week and you have dev modified versions for JB on specific devices.

Personally I like it being supported but hate that web pages won't get rid of it!! It's been months since I browsed the web on my PC so I could care less if it's still supported there. As an iOS and Android user I wish it would just die already.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is a non-news event. They already provided advanced warning that this was coming.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
They've been pulling flash forever. It wasn't until jelly bean that you begin getting device not supported message in the play store.

Give it about a week and you have dev modified versions for JB on specific devices.

Personally I like it being supported but hate that web pages won't get rid of it!! It's been months since I browsed the web on my PC so I could care less if it's still supported there. As an iOS and Android user I wish it would just die already.

Already done and multiple avenues exist to put Flash on to any device. Non-issue

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Jobs was right, and considering how much flak Apple took for not putting Flash on the iPhone it makes me wonder about some of those who express negative opinions about the iPhone.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Jobs was right, and considering how much flak Apple took for not putting Flash on the iPhone it makes me wonder about some of those who express negative opinions about the iPhone.

Jobs was right to an extent. Meaning, he knew Adobe would be to lazy to make any changes to Flash for mobile devices without a kick in the butt. Even then Adobe could only produce a marginally better less-cpu and battery hogging piece of software.
But when Microsoft said, they were not going to support Flash for Mobile either, that was the straw that broke the camels back for mobile Flash. Not to mention if Google was already putting YouTube video into html5 format, what is the point of continuing to spend money and resources on a dead carcass?

Jobs was right, but his opinion alone didn't make Flash die and while preventing Flash on iDevice eventually bore Apple fruit, it came at the expense of its customers. And that is what sucked! And even now, with Google also dropping Flash, there are still looking many sites that a flash only, one of them is UFC.com and that has a huge following all around the world!

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Maybe the website owners will finally get off their lazy buns and start replacing their crash prone flash content with HTML5.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Jobs was right that Flash would eventually die or at least be replaced by something far more better suited to the tasks it was used for, but he banned Flash while it was still incredibly popular and massive amounts of users wanted it.

That was a mistake.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Jobs was right that Flash would eventually die or at least be replaced by something far more better suited to the tasks it was used for, but he banned Flash while it was still incredibly popular and massive amounts of users wanted it.

That was a mistake.

Eh, I really wouldn't call it a mistake. He spearheaded the movement of abolishing Flash and adopting HTML5 for a lot of website elements and inline video. And that was only possible by totally eschewing Flash and prompting others to follow suit.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Eh, I really wouldn't call it a mistake. He spearheaded the movement of abolishing Flash and adopting HTML5 for a lot of website elements and inline video. And that was only possible by totally eschewing Flash and prompting others to follow suit.

Beg to differ. Create a superior product and people will use it. You don't have to stop supporting the existing product while the superior product is being created.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Beg to differ. Create a superior product and people will use it. You don't have to stop supporting the existing product while the superior product is being created.

HTML5 WAS out, Jobs finally just kicked people to jump ship.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
HTML5 WAS out, Jobs finally just kicked people to jump ship.

No it wasn't out, it was drafted but it was by no means completely final by the time the first iPhone was released.

Apple did a good job of disguising the fact it was really their spat with Adobe that meant they wouldn't support Flash.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
No it wasn't out, it was drafted but it was by no means completely final by the time the first iPhone was released.

Apple did a good job of disguising the fact it was really their spat with Adobe that meant they wouldn't support Flash.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, the whole Apple vs. Adobe and "No Flash?!" debate started with the original iPad, not iPhone. If you remember, it wasn't until Froyo (2.2) that Android got Flash. And they didn't support Flash because it just degraded the user experience, simple as that.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Whoa, whoa, whoa, the whole Apple vs. Adobe and "No Flash?!" debate started with the original iPad, not iPhone. If you remember, it wasn't until Froyo (2.2) that Android got Flash. And they didn't support Flash because it just degraded the user experience, simple as that.

Flash works fine on a lot of Android phones, so that old degraded the user experience chestnut is rubbish :p

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Flash works fine on a lot of Android phones, so that old degraded the user experience chestnut is rubbish :p

I'm sure if it worked "Fine" then Google and Adobe would continue to support it. Web pages take longer to load, sites become less responsive, video is often choppy, and it is a battery hog when in use. The only thing it was truly great at was displaying those annoying Flash ads and banners.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Great news. Even better to see the BBC are looking to move from Flash with their services too.

Several also noted that some other apps, including the BBC's iPlayer for Android, also request that Flash Player be installed.

The BBC said it was working on an update.

"The BBC is working with Adobe on an alternative video player for Android, ensuring audiences with Android devices continue to enjoy BBC iPlayer," said Daniel Danker, general manager of On-Demand at the BBC.

"We do have concerns about fragmentation of Android devices and new updates to the Android platform, which have created an inconsistent video playback experience for our audience, and we are working with Google to find ways to address this."

Love the way they complain about performance issues due to the dreaded fragmentation but the real culprit was probably Flash in the first place. Flash performed wildly different on Android devices I've had the misfortune to use it on.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Maybe the website owners will finally get off their lazy buns and start replacing their crash prone flash content with HTML5.

Well, that hasn't happened yet, so I still need Flash. Flash may be older technology, but there is certainly content that need Flash where there is no other alternative. Until that happens, I still need Flash on my devices.

Steve Jobs pretty much had a war on Flash. He wanted to hide its existence from people, particularly those who own iOS devices. I was comparing tablets a year ago and part of my comparison was to go to sites that have Flash content. Some of those web sites provided an alternate way to view this Flash content that was fine. Other web sites did not have an alternate way to view the Flash content. On Android devices, you can disable Flash. If you do, the browser would let you know that there is content you cannot view without the proper add-on.

When viewing this same web site on an iPad, there was not a hint that there was any content that the iPad could not show. You look at the web site and the iPad conveniently removes the Flash content and moves other stuff up to fill in the blanks that the Flash content left behind. Apple purposely hides the fact that iOS devices cannot show some content. If you didn't know a site has Flash content, you may not realise it if looking at it with an iOS device. No doubt he did this to try to kill Flash faster and also to hide the fact that iOS is deficient in this aspect.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I'm sure if it worked "Fine" then Google and Adobe would continue to support it. Web pages take longer to load, sites become less responsive, video is often choppy, and it is a battery hog when in use. The only thing it was truly great at was displaying those annoying Flash ads and banners.

It was fine on my HTC Desire (a little sluggish, but usable), good on my S2 and S3.

As is the nature of Android, a large percentage of the market share is likely made out of the feature phones that sell for dirt cheap, with crappy specs to boot. They can all run Flash and they're probably piss poor at running it.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I beg to differ. People still use lots of obsolete technology despite the presence of superior alternatives. People are inherently lazy in many aspects and wont do things unless they are forced.

A great example is with Windows. How many people are still running XP? How long did Microsoft had to extend downgrade rights? TO some degree MS still supports XP. Windows XP is over a decade old now.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I beg to differ. People still use lots of obsolete technology despite the presence of superior alternatives. People are inherently lazy in many aspects and wont do things unless they are forced.

A great example is with Windows. How many people are still running XP? How long did Microsoft had to extend downgrade rights? TO some degree MS still supports XP. Windows XP is over a decade old now.

You're comparing average consumers to IT professionals. It's IT professionals that choose which web technologies to use on their websites. One would hope they put more consideration into what to use other than whether or not they can be bothered to change things.

kdarling

macrumors P6

You must never have owned an Android phone with Flash.

Most of us have it set to only display the Flash sections when we tapped the little placemarker icons, so no, it does not affect normal website viewing at all.

However, it is VERY handy when you do need it. I still run across sites that have Flash opening sequences or menus or news videos.

Until every website is Flash free, it's nice having the capability to view them.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus

Good news. All those crappy ads are still there, just converted to html5. :p

BTW, I still find sites with Flash and luckily i can still display them when i want to. But i do look forward to the day when it is completely gone. :D

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
You're comparing average consumers to IT professionals. It's IT professionals that choose which web technologies to use on their websites. One would hope they put more consideration into what to use other than whether or not they can be bothered to change things.

I'm sorry? What point are you making? I was responding to a post specifically about consumers choosing a better technology given choice. I called nonsense on that since people still choose to use obsolete technology despite alternatives. My post in no way was about IT professionals and neither was the previous post as fas as I am concerned.

To paraphrase Henry Ford, if he gave people what they "wanted" it was a faster horse. Ford didn't care about giving people better horses. Apple knows the best way to progress (and fastest) is to make sure that you don't have a crutch to depend on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.