Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Bad news? It's been a few days, but Fridays are where news goes to die. I wondered how many Figma users lurk around MR, and general thoughts. I personally have been off of the Adobe wagon for quite some time, using Figma and Affinity. However, Adobe crawls from the shadows from time to time for After Effects. I know there's a bit of negativity toward Adobe on MR, and I'm trying not to be dismissive myself. What benefits could you see coming from this acquisition? What are your main concerns? At least Figma already had a subscription model, but it also had a free tier, unlike CC.

Possible Benefits:
  • Figma leadership (Dylan Field) confirmed staying in leadership
  • Tighter integration between Figma and After Effects
  • Other integrations in general, to reduce use of Xd or Illustrator (Figma is arguably a lot easier to use)
Negatives:
  • Price, obvious. Not as much of a concern to those who have CC paid for or written off
  • Bloat, and all it brings with; bugs, impacted update schedules, etc

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I’ve been away from design for a while — I career-segued into programming — so this was the first I’ve heard of Figma. It seems to me as if Adobe is overpaying for a collaborative platform, looking from an engineering point of view. But collaboration is hot right now, with Google Docs making great strides and even Apple adding collaboration features to its office suite. Adobe is also paying for all the users, they want to stay top dog.

It makes me wonder how deeply they will integrate collaboration into all of Adobe’s apps. It seems a logical move to go quite far, given they have the Creative Cloud already out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.