Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many people are waitning for the 8 core MP?

• Waiting

Votes: 38 69.1%
  • Buying

Votes: 17 30.9%

• Total voters

alw4416

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Kansas City
I realize this Q. has been asked but I haven't seen many opinions. I don't know what to do. This always happens to me. I buy "the latest greatest" machine from Apple and a week later it's replaced at the same freakin price. What is the word on the 8 core? Should I go ahead and buy or wait for the 8 core? If I wait, how long should I wait? What are current MP users thoughts? HELLLPPPPPP!

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
If you've seen the question has been asked before with no real results, why start a new thread to repeat the question?:confused: :confused:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Well the standard answer is:

If you need a computer now, go and get one.
If you can wait, then wait.

But you'll always be asking:

"Should I buy now, or should I wait?"

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
The 8 core machine will be lower clocked for the same price. So if you need single threaded performance get the 4 core now. If you're really going to be doing a lot of work that scales to 8 cores it might be worth waiting.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
The 8 core machine will be lower clocked for the same price. So if you need single threaded performance get the 4 core now. If you're really going to be doing a lot of work that scales to 8 cores it might be worth waiting.

but the equivalent 4 core will be cheaper by then.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I realize this Q. has been asked but I haven't seen many opinions. I don't know what to do. This always happens to me. I buy "the latest greatest" machine from Apple and a week later it's replaced at the same freakin price. What is the word on the 8 core? Should I go ahead and buy or wait for the 8 core? If I wait, how long should I wait? What are current MP users thoughts? HELLLPPPPPP!

It's very unlikely that an 8 core offering will impact the current models in anyway. Looking at Dell's pricing, an 8x2.33 core upgrade from 4x2.66Ghz costs $1020 and to go to 8x2.66Ghz costs $1540. I would expect Apple's numbers to be in the same region. So first ask yourself whether you are willing to spend that much extra, then look at whether your workflow/productivity will benefit from 8 cores over 4. If you don't really know it may be a safe bet that the 2.66Ghz machine is more than enough for you.

alw4416

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Kansas City
It's very unlikely that an 8 core offering will impact the current models in anyway. Looking at Dell's pricing, an 8x2.33 core upgrade from 4x2.66Ghz costs $1020 and to go to 8x2.66Ghz costs $1540. I would expect Apple's numbers to be in the same region. So first ask yourself whether you are willing to spend that much extra, then look at whether your workflow/productivity will benefit from 8 cores over 4. If you don't really know it may be a safe bet that the 2.66Ghz machine is more than enough for you.

Very good advice. Thanks!

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
so the 8 core machines wont make the quads obsolete?

Considering MacWorld stated that the use of an 8 core machine is not going to be utilized for a little while still. So even if you get an 8 core machine you're not going to harness its power for a while. I say go with a Quad and then in 2 years get an 8. By that time you'll be able to make those 8 cores work for you.

And you'll always be asking "Should I buy or wait?". Just do it man! BUY!

alw4416

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Kansas City
But the options are:
Wait for an 8 core
or
Buy an 8 core.

The 8 cores are not available, hence they are waiting.

You arent a very nice person are you? Kind of a smug jerk. You know exactly what I meant. Buy a quad now or wait for the 8 core! Why you dont feel the need to be more helpful and friend to a newbie is beyond me. You having a bad day or just an angry person in general. I was always taught that there are no stupid questions but you like to make people feel otherwise I guess..?

alw4416

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Kansas City
Considering MacWorld stated that the use of an 8 core machine is not going to be utilized for a little while still. So even if you get an 8 core machine you're not going to harness its power for a while. I say go with a Quad and then in 2 years get an 8. By that time you'll be able to make those 8 cores work for you.

And you'll always be asking "Should I buy or wait?". Just do it man! BUY!

Thanks.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
You arent a very nice person are you? Kind of a smug jerk. You know exactly what I meant. Buy a quad now or wait for the 8 core! Why you dont feel the need to be more helpful and friend to a newbie is beyond me. You having a bad day or just an angry person in general. I was always taught that there are no stupid questions but you like to make people feel otherwise I guess..?

I'm actually a very nice person. At least I don't go around insulting people!!!

This type of question has been asked many, many, many times before, it always has the same end answer. Why did you feel the need to ask again?

I was always taught to ask proper questions, that way you get accurate answers.

alw4416

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Kansas City

This type of question has been asked many, many, many times before, it always has the same end answer. Why did you feel the need to ask again?

I have asked as accurate as I knew how and you have been nothing but condescending so I dont know how you expect to be taken as a "nice person". There was nothing "improper" about my question. It very well may have been asked before but if a doctor told me I had cancer and was expected to live only a month, I might want a second, third, fourth, and maybe even more opinions.

alw4416

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Kansas City

ahhhhh, I have visited your website. it all makes sense now...LOL. enough said for me and from me.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
LOL, funny guy. What label are you signed to again? What artists have you worked with? What soundtracks have you written? Thats what I thought.

:rolleyes:
BIG MAN!!!!
Bye Bye!

Hey!! Where's your website link gone!!
Awwww, no fun.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.