Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many people are waitning for the 8 core MP?

• Waiting

Votes: 38 69.1%
  • Buying

Votes: 17 30.9%

• Total voters

alkanenine

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
nyc area
There is a public beta of Photoshop CS3 now available that is Universal. I have been using it for a few months now (got it early being an Adobe Solutions Network member). It runs extremely well thus far! :D

Yeah, I just downloaded that version actually this morning. There are lots of little new features that I like so far and its seems very smooth.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Just thought I'd chime in a little bit here, partly because I just like hearing other people's reasons for waiting for an 8 core or getting a quad core now.

Personally, I'm holding out to see what the octo core system brings. Judging by the price for ordering one at Dell, I feel like I have a fairly good idea of how much it'll cost; and if it does indeed get priced in that range, then the money I've been saving can cover it.
Why am I waiting? Well, I don't *need* a new computer, although I do push my MacBook Pro to its limits fairly often. I don't do anything overly processor-intensive on a normal basis, although I do process a lot of 8MP RAW photos and re-encode videos from time to time. My computer stressing comes from sheer multi-tasking, which will also require a lot of RAM on my part. Even now with 2 screens (15" MBP and 24" Dell) I keep a lot of programs open so I can do several things at once. When I get a Mac Pro, I'll be getting 2 more 24" displays to complement the one I have for use when working.

Having said that, I'm not *definitely* going to get an octo-core system. If the price is significantly more than the current quads, then I'll be forgetting even trying. Additionally, depending on just how much more they'll be, I may get a quad at that point since I imagine their price will be lowered at least a little (I hope). Plus, I'm lucky enough to be eligible for the education discount for a while longer, so that will help me out a lot as well no matter which way I go.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
As I understand it, you can simply pop in a new 4 core- chip in each socket. (Assuming you have some pc hardware knowledge.) So get a 4 core machine now, and upgrade later if you need to. The mac pro is entirely upgradeable.

Most people are having a hard time maxing out the Mac Pro as is, btw. At least in the Logic audio world.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
As I understand it, you can simply pop in a new 4 core- chip in each socket. (Assuming you have some pc hardware knowledge.) So get a 4 core machine now, and upgrade later if you need to. The mac pro is entirely upgradeable.

Most people are having a hard time maxing out the Mac Pro as is, btw. At least in the Logic audio world.

The problem with that, however, is you're spending a lot more money in the long run- you're paying several grand now for a computer and at least a couple more later to buy the processors- not to mention you might b voiding your warranty by upgrading the processor yourself.

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
The problem with that, however, is you're spending a lot more money in the long run- you're paying several grand now for a computer and at least a couple more later to buy the processors- not to mention you might b voiding your warranty by upgrading the processor yourself.

I don't think that it's a "might". I'm sure that you'll void your warranty by doing so (but may be worth it to some people). And while the chips are upgradeable, from what i've seen, it's not for the faint of heart to make the upgrade themselves.

cheers.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I don't think that it's a "might". I'm sure that you'll void your warranty by doing so (but may be worth it to some people). And while the chips are upgradeable, from what i've seen, it's not for the faint of heart to make the upgrade themselves.

cheers.

Why do you say it's not for the faint of heart? From what I remember reading a while back on Anandtech when they first upgraded one, it didn't look *that* bad to me... though I've built enough computers to be pretty familiar with all the stuff involved with it....

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Why do you say it's not for the faint of heart? From what I remember reading a while back on Anandtech when they first upgraded one, it didn't look *that* bad to me... though I've built enough computers to be pretty familiar with all the stuff involved with it....

IIRC, they had some problems getting to the chips themselves (maybe stripped some screws in the process?) and it looks as if the pins in the socket are easy to bend/break (and not easy to fix).

cheers.

AdamBl

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2007
My only question is are we going to have to wait another few months before the 8-core comes out, or is it likely we'll see it in a few days.

apple1984

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
usa
I don't have any guesses as to the release date, but I think the only people who will be able to afford this rig will be the people who can truly realize its benefits.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
You will not regret your Mac Pro 2.66. This is an awesome computer, and most computers are still just starting to get dual cores these days. Quad cores is not going to be obsolete any time soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.