Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
Has the Samsung s10 had no eyes strain

had iPhone 11 Pro eye strain no headache dry eyes

covered the Face ID and felt better still paranoid about the pwm swapped it for a

iPhone 11 and dry eyes and eye strain persist meaning it is the Face ID AND NOT PWM BECAUSE IF IT WAS SAMAUNG WOULD CAUSE ME STRAIN

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
My question is does it actually run all the time? I’m assuming it should turn itself off if you disable “Attention Aware”. Someone with an infrared camera or filter could test this.

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
My question is does it actually run all the time? I’m assuming it should turn itself off if you disable “Attention Aware”. Someone with an infrared camera or filter could test this.

No it blinks when you unlock it after that doesnt seem to blink

but the initial blink can cause strain neye burn

im on the iphone 8 no eye burn
[automerge]1579643932[/automerge]
I mean i havent used a infrared camera but a iphone 8 to capture

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
No it blinks when you unlock it after that doesnt seem to blink

but the initial blink can cause strain neye burn

im on the iphone 8 no eye burn
[automerge]1579643932[/automerge]

I mean i havent used a infrared camera but a iphone 8 to capture
This is some false info. It was proven on here that it's constantly flashing no matter what. Not only that, but I have yet to see even ONE person who could pinpoint their headaches or eye strain to face id. It's the PWM, and there is really zero debate about it. Countless people have covered their face id sensor and "felt better", but soon after they always return to say the headaches returned.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England

covered the Face ID and felt better still paranoid about the pwm swapped it for a

iPhone 11 and dry eyes and eye strain persist meaning it is the Face ID AND NOT PWM BECAUSE IF IT WAS SAMAUNG WOULD CAUSE ME STRAIN

Nope sorry, I don’t buy it. Not one bit.

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
This is some false info. It was proven on here that it's constantly flashing no matter what. Not only that, but I have yet to see even ONE person who could pinpoint their headaches or eye strain to face id. It's the PWM, and there is really zero debate about it. Countless people have covered their face id sensor and "felt better", but soon after they always return to say the headaches returned.
Why would I lie maybe the camera is not picking it up but when on the Face ID screen it blinks until unlocked then doesn’t blink when you are in with attention awareness turned off

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

Sell the iPhone and go back to Samsung.. Problem solved. Trying to convince forum members that Faceid is causing your issue is irrelevant because 99% of Faceid users don't agree or suffer from your affliction. By he way YouTube is not science or evidence in any way...

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
Sell the iPhone and go back to Samsung.. Problem solved. Trying to convince forum members that Faceid is causing your issue is irrelevant because 99% of Faceid users don't agree or suffer from your affliction. By he way YouTube is not science or evidence in any way...

no trying to persuade just showing my findings..youtube isnt evidence i agree but i am showing the other person that once your logged in the face id does not flash which he said i lied about

Reactions: snipr125

dimitricook

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
I am not sure it is the Face id that is causing the problem but this is my situation:

So i had the 8, never ever a problem. Than i bought the 11pro, got headaches and eye pain / dry eyes everything. Now bought the 11, the problem is a little beter but still not without pain or discomfort. I also use a Samsung tv with PWM (no oled) but i manged to get used to the TV. I have it for about 1 year and i rarely have any issues with the flickering, and if i have issues it's not as bad as with the 11 and 11pro. I might be thinking that there is something very different that is affecting us, might be Face ID?

If i read all the topics it is not likely that Face id is causing the issue, it also doesn't make sense as it is just IR.

I will try to let my eyes adjust, not focus on the fact if i feel anything or not... just enjoy my 11 and see if i can get used to the screen.

What do you guys experience? anyone who did get used to the screen over time?

mirmish111

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2020
I am not sure it is the Face id that is causing the problem but this is my situation:

So i had the 8, never ever a problem. Than i bought the 11pro, got headaches and eye pain / dry eyes everything. Now bought the 11, the problem is a little beter but still not without pain or discomfort. I also use a Samsung tv with PWM (no oled) but i manged to get used to the TV. I have it for about 1 year and i rarely have any issues with the flickering, and if i have issues it's not as bad as with the 11 and 11pro. I might be thinking that there is something very different that is affecting us, might be Face ID?

If i read all the topics it is not likely that Face id is causing the issue, it also doesn't make sense as it is just IR.

I will try to let my eyes adjust, not focus on the fact if i feel anything or not... just enjoy my 11 and see if i can get used to the screen.

What do you guys experience? anyone who did get used to the screen over time?

Hi brother , so its been around 1.5 months since i bought this iphone 11 , and until i visited this forum and read about the face id being considered as a reason i never believed in it either.
I have been having eye troubles within 1 week of usage, vision started to get blurry ,eyes started to get irritated , eyes started watering and headaches as well , So i decided to check if the face id is causing the issue so i covered the left part of the notch because i thought that is the only sensor , and i used my phone for 3-4 days and felt far far better but still a slight irritation was bothering me , until i saw a video a fellow member posted where the light rays emits from both left and right , and i left the right side uncovered . Since i use the phone for watching movies and playing game when the phone is in landscape the sensor appears to be in the left side and it made sense that my most strained eye is left (I ve never had an history of eye issue) i am gonna entirely cover the notch and use it for few more days until i confirm that this thread is true 100%

And its not just a normal flaw that someone can make , our eyes and vision are at stake and it really matters a lot !

Reactions: dimitricook

dimitricook

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
Thanks for mirmish111 i am very curious what will happen when you cover both keep me updated :) ... I did stop using the 11 after a few months of use and still had issues with my eyes and headache. Now i am back on my old 8 and don't have issues at all.

I started a online form to collect information about this problem, i would like to gain as much info as possible and report back to Apple.

Reactions: mirmish111

CodeCrusher

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
I thought the issue with the current Liquid Retina Displays used in iphones, iPads and MacBooks was due to temporal dithering. I have tried using all of the new devices that use the “liquid” display and have the same results. no issues with the older retina displays. Sad as I really enjoy Apple ecosystem but cannot enjoy any of the new hardware!

Reactions: jimmy_uk and gaanee

CodeCrusher

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
what about the same on even iphone 8? no faceid there
Are you having issues with the 8? There have been more issues with OLED and the newer Liquid Retina than in the last generation of LCD panels by Apple.

q11110

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2020
with both, originally latest iphone and then switched back to iphone 8 and the same (seems to suggest software - dithering?)

Reactions: gaanee

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Im on my third month with my XS Max, and no eye strain or headaches to report. Face id is awesome, and I’m a happy customer.

• Haha
Reactions: jezbd1997

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I bought the new iPhone SE last week and found right away that something was causing me eye strain and a slight burning feeling. Until last week I was using the original iPhone SE and a Samsung Galaxy S10e, neither of which cause me any eye problems. I have since given the new iPhone SE to my wife and so far she has not exerienced any eye discomfort.

So is the screen of the new SE different is some way that would cause my eye discomfort and slight headache?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.