Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
No eye strain from face ID on my 11. Never owned an OLED so can't confirm if I suffer from eye strain due to that. I think some of the posts I've read here from critics of face ID sound a bit David Icke to be honest.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
Thanks that's extremely helpful. Shows exactly what's going on.

Turned up screen brightness to 100% and turned off "attention aware features" - great idea Apple to constantly flash us with this IR floodlight for a feature I didn't even know existed, and I've never used.

May be the one time I am hoping there'll be lawsuits incoming.

PWM - pulse width manipulation, extra clever way to achieve < 100% scrren brightness by dropping frames. Except it's causing headaches to our poor eyes... sigh.

Solution: Set screens to 100% brightness. I am getting a MacBook Air now, that should be fine at 100% brightness all times. The MBP uses lots of battery doing that (it's also brighther, so I guess that's why)

I need 240Hz screens, really.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
No eye strain from face ID on my 11. Never owned an OLED so can't confirm if I suffer from eye strain due to that. I think some of the posts I've read here from critics of face ID sound a bit David Icke to be honest.
Icke - sounds totally nuts, until you realize it's 2020 and everything he said is actually coming true, one by one. Whoops!!!! And I am serious I did think it sounded totally nuts. Crazy. But now - well it's freaking obviously happening, and that crazy stuff was actually the world we live in.

Del Martes

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
Thanks that's extremely helpful. Shows exactly what's going on.

Turned up screen brightness to 100% and turned off "attention aware features" - great idea Apple to constantly flash us with this IR floodlight for a feature I didn't even know existed, and I've never used.

May be the one time I am hoping there'll be lawsuits incoming.

PWM - pulse width manipulation, extra clever way to achieve < 100% scrren brightness by dropping frames. Except it's causing headaches to our poor eyes... sigh.

Solution: Set screens to 100% brightness. I am getting a MacBook Air now, that should be fine at 100% brightness all times. The MBP uses lots of battery doing that (it's also brighther, so I guess that's why)

I need 240Hz screens, really.
I picked up a 4th gen iPad Pro 12.9" the past Black Friday. I bough it especially for reading, extended period of readin, like 4 to 5 hours in one stretch. The first few days were OK, but after the first week, I experienced SEVERE eye strain and pain. My eyes were burning, dry, and visions were blurry. I couldn't figure out what the cause was. Used the iPad for 3 weeks, then returned it.

I'm now using a base MBA for the same extended reading. Still feel a little eye strain after 4 to 5 hours, but DEFINITELY not on the same level as the iPad Pro.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I am with you on this OP, i used to get PWM headaches on my iphone 12 mini, but setting it at 50% and above and i get no issues at all. Now Face ID causes me eye strain so badly that i have just turned it off and use the PIN, and all strain has gone. I love the Iphone 12 mini so much that i am willing to use it this way. I completely realise that probably 95% of people get no problems with Face ID whatsoever, but i am just talking about my own experience. The faster Touch ID is brought back in some capacity to iphones, the better as far as i am concerned.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Do you use your phone in the dark? Like in bed for instance? Try it. You can see the ir scanner blink once to read your face. Its not like in this video. Millions of people with no problem. Maybe billions?

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Do you use your phone in the dark? Like in bed for instance? Try it. You can see the ir scanner blink once to read your face. Its not like in this video. Millions of people with no problem. Maybe billions?
It’s exactly like the video. I actually took a video of my iPhone with the attention feature on vs off.

On, it’s flashing every 5 seconds. Off, it only flashes when you unlock the phone and doesn’t flash again.

I have to wonder if the constant flashing of the IR Sensor (every 5 seconds) for years and years of iPhone usage could cause any eye issues in 10-20 years 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: freeagent
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.