Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Just fix the bugs. Please. No one cares about any of this. Make it reliable and not drain battery. Please and thank you.
No one cares? About generative AI?
You sound like the ones who said “nobody wants smartphones with no physical keyboards” in 2006. If they said it in 2012.
Everybody cares about this and it’s one of the reasons why Siri sucks, they were waiting for a major tech breakthrough that would make every incremental update they could have worked on instantly obsolete.

• Disagree
Reactions: iLuddite

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Can't wait for Siri to get even better at saying "Here's what I found on the web."

Apparently its going to be a big upgrade. Before you would ask Siri play Chemical Brothers and she would say "Here's what i found on the web for chemical symbols". Now with the upgrade, it will be "i asked ChatGPT to explain chemicals to brothers"

Reactions: antiprotest

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Ambitiously compelling... so folks, you should get ready as fast as you can: savour whatever battery life and performance you have left, because next year you will have none. If an iOS update is feature-ambitious, say hello to the most power-hungry, the most battery-draining, performance-obliterating iOS update.

Reactions: iLuddite

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
You sound like the ones who said “nobody wants smartphones with no physical keyboards” in 2006. If they said it in 2012.
Everybody cares about this

Are you talking about generative AI in all its forms?

There was just a several months long strike by actors and writers against it. They won. Generative AI has been crippled there. It can no longer be used as maliciously as AI stans wanted.

We now need the same fight against the use of generative AI for spam on social media and scamming the public.

As for the bad keyboards example you used against the forum member.

Software keyboards are still kinda crap 18 years later. Yes they are great but it comes with caveats and limits.

And talking to a computer is really crap unless you are Stephen Hawking and need assistance.

sflagel

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
More crap. Meanwhile, Apple will still neglect to fix the iPhone's most absurd and pathetic defect: no audible notifications of missed calls.

And then a runner-up: The calendar changes the times on all your appointments when you travel, because Apple thinks that when you buy a plane ticket or schedule a meeting in another time zone, you do the math and enter the "wrong" time on purpose before leaving so it's right when Apple "fixes" it for you. The utter stupidity of this assumption is mind-boggling.

There's no way to set an appointment on the phone so it goes off when the clock on the phone shows a particular time, regardless of time zone. Incredible.

And yet, when you travel to another country, Apple isn't smart enough to do the same thing for all your contacts. So when someone in the USA calls you in Europe, their name won't show up because the country code is prepended.
I don't know about the Contacts, but when you set a meeting in another time zone, you can chose the time zone in Calendar while you input the meeting. When you get invited to a meeting, it should be correct automatically. But just in case, when scheduling other time zones, I always set the local times in the subject.

Reactions: Tagbert

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I get what you're saying but AI is really demanding so they might need to limit it to new models. 8GB RAM on the iPhone 15 Pro Max might not be enough depending what features Apple is going to add. I'll be interested to see what kind of RAM the iPhone 16 Pro models come with next year.

Of course, Apple could just send everything to their servers to process instead of doing it on device.

But your point...yeah I hope they can bring as many features as possible to all supported devices. We'll see.
I won’t be surprised if this is an iPhone 16 pro (mostly) on device feature only.

As you say, LLM Siri will need more ram (and likely a bigger neural engine) on the chip package.

That way, Apple gets to drive more sales and gets its gadget hungry users to beta test LLM Siri.

And as is now becoming usual with Apple, the plain iPhone 17 will likely get this feature next year (after beta testing from iPhone 16 pro users!).

As you say, it could make a cloud version of LLM, but that doesn’t feel very Apple.

The headline product features for LLM Siri will surely be:

- v Fast processing on device.
- LLM Siri trained on high quality data sources- encyclopaedias, BBC news, etc etc.
- secure, encrypted & anonymous requests to the web, or to Apple’s siloed off data sources.
- your data and conversations with LLM kept on device and fully encrypted.
- Siri is able to access your data (on Apple apps & via an API for third party anpps and now truly be an intelligent assistant. But again, don’t worry users - it’s all happening on your device.

It could of course, do all of this in the cloud - minus the speed - but that doesn’t feel very Apple.

A big USP will surely be the security of this all happening on device.

Finally, for older iPhones, I’m sure that there will be lots of new ML magic woven into iOS - as they do now - that will still provide great experiences. Just not the full LLM Siri experience.

iLuddite

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2023
Everybody cares about this and it’s one of the reasons why Siri sucks, they were waiting for a major tech breakthrough that would make every incremental update they could have worked on instantly obsolete.
Seconding @abatabia. No one cares.

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Are you talking about generative AI in all its forms?

There was just a several months long strike by actors and writers against it. They won. Generative AI has been crippled there. It can no longer be used as maliciously as AI stans wanted.

We now need the same fight against the use of generative AI for spam on social media and scamming the public.

As for the bad keyboards example you used against the forum member.

Software keyboards are still kinda crap 18 years later. Yes they are great but it comes with caveats and limits.

And talking to a computer is really crap unless you are Stephen Hawking and need assistance.
Like it or not, generative AI will evolve and thrive in many applications, but it has nothing to do with this, just like the strike.
Here we're just talking about how we will replace taking your phone and spending a minute for a google search or navigating menus with a single Siri question. In the first case, I already replaced many of those with ChatGPT, there's no way I go back to wasting my time. When I'll be given the possibility to do that with voice assistants, to control my phone or house and ask for complicated tasks, I'll immediately hop on. I'll probably keep watching series with human writers and actors but I'll spend 10 seconds and not a minute to know what's the name of the husband of the actress who plays Robin in How I met your mother, with my phone in my pocket.
And about the keyboard, your arguments proves it was a good example: some people preferred it but it disappeared, that was exactly my point.

Seconding @abatabia. No one cares.
I love how many of you believe the whole world shares your opinion, that's exactly why I quoted the anti-iPhone people from 2006.
Edit: the tone in my "everybody cares" in my head was meant to say we all care in some way but I wrote it wrong. Take it as "everybody care for good or bad, many, many people already use AI and many more will in the years coming".

Last edited:

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
So them saying that this year's version is better than last year's version is them "hiding something"? Uh...
Yes, from the standpoint of saying the trite phrase every year, as if Apple would “updated” a product to a “less powerful” version. I say let the products shine.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
Like it or not, generative AI will evolve and thrive in many applications, but it has nothing to do with this, just like the strike.
Here we're just talking about how we will replace taking your phone and spending a minute for a google search or navigating menus with a single Siri question. In the first case, I already replaced many of those with ChatGPT, there's no way I go back to wasting my time. When I'll be given the possibility to do that with voice assistants, to control my phone or house and ask for complicated tasks, I'll immediately hop on. I'll probably keep watching series with human writers and actors but I'll spend 10 seconds and not a minute to know what's the name of the husband of the actress who plays Robin in How I met your mother, with my phone in my pocket.
And about the keyboard, your arguments proves it was a good example: some people preferred it but it disappeared, that was exactly my point.

I love how many of you believe the whole world shares your opinion, that's exactly why I quoted the anti-iPhone people from 2006.
Edit: the tone in my "everybody cares" in my head was meant to say we all care in some way but I wrote it wrong. Take it as "everybody care for good or bad, many, many people already use AI and many more will in the years coming".

Heh...

No.

These things consume enormous amounts of energy, lots of water for cooling, and burn out a lot of GPUs which need to be replaced yearly and end up creating more e-waste than anything we have seen in tech.

Awareness of that has stepped up in the middle of the year and even more awareness will happen if there is a knock on effect on electricity supplies, electricity prices and pollution.

This stuff doesn't scale well, the majority of the stuff it generates is next to useless so it creates more waste than any tech we have ever had, it is another rent extraction grift, the use of it by spammers and scammers will be hard to control because the services don't mind taking subscription fees from crooks.

This is late stage capitalism at its worst and its most die hard fans appear to be as mentally degenerate as NFT fans.

So it is not a surprise to see that NFT grifters pivoted from crypto to this new wave of garbage. They are just anti-human cretins who are so hated that they need a cyber toy to be their friend...for a subscription fee of course.

Reactions: maxoakland

TheNewLou

macrumors regular
May 24, 2016
Is it certain M4 debuts after only a year or does Apple keep to an 18-month upgrade cycle like they do with iPad?
Apple wants an annual release cycle for all their major products

Between moving from Intel to Apple Silicon for Macs, to continually rearranging the iPad lineup to figure out what is most profitable, to developing the hardware & OS for Vision Pro, to moving to Swift & SwiftUI across all its OSes & developer tools, Apple has had a lot on its plate the past 5 years

Now that Apple is in control of their CPU & GPU destiny, expect annual releases for all major products, even the iPad and seemingly ignored Apple TV as they push gaming in a big way the next few years

• Love
Reactions: smulji

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I would like Siri to be way, way more conversational.

I’d like to ask it for some restaurant recommendations when I’m in a new city. I’d like to ask it to narrow it to a specific cuisine, and within a budget and for the back-and-forth to be a single conversation. I’d like it to provide a verbal summary when prompted of recent reviews etc.

I’d like it to be more helpful and better integrated with native apps. I’d like to be able to ask it to set up a meeting with a colleague, and for it to find some mutual time and slot in a calendar invite. I’d like it to verbally summarise emails that I’ve received, or long group chats that I’ve missed, or websites that I’m viewing.

I’d like it to be much more reliable. If I’m driving and I ask it text someone, I want to be confident that the message has actually sent.
Thanks, I like those examples. I'n still very skeptical that it'll work that way, but hopefully!

Reactions: Fraserpatty

flybass

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
Heh...

No.

These things consume enormous amounts of energy, lots of water for cooling, and burn out a lot of GPUs which need to be replaced yearly and end up creating more e-waste than anything we have seen in tech.

Awareness of that has stepped up in the middle of the year and even more awareness will happen if there is a knock on effect on electricity supplies, electricity prices and pollution.

This stuff doesn't scale well, the majority of the stuff it generates is next to useless so it creates more waste than any tech we have ever had, it is another rent extraction grift, the use of it by spammers and scammers will be hard to control because the services don't mind taking subscription fees from crooks.

This is late stage capitalism at its worst and its most die hard fans appear to be as mentally degenerate as NFT fans.

So it is not a surprise to see that NFT grifters pivoted from crypto to this new wave of garbage. They are just anti-human cretins who are so hated that they need a cyber toy to be their friend...for a subscription fee of course.
That is an interesting perspective. As someone with a graduate degree in AI and who has worked in the field for 10 years, I had no idea there was so much negativity. I'm with you on NFT's + crypto being worthless. Also, I agree that the costs of running the models are huge and bad for the environment. However, I'd think improvements in algorithms will eventually kick in. EG smaller models via compression or via targeted applications (a simple model that routes queries to experts). Do you not see any benefits to society from better AI?

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Now that Apple is in control of their CPU & GPU destiny, expect annual releases for all major products, even the iPad and seemingly ignored Apple TV as they push gaming in a big way the next few years
"with Vision Pro, iPhone gaming and M3 MacBooks Apple could be the gaming platform to watch in 2024."

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
  • A14 might be the minimum chip supported... iPhone 12 series and newer
  • A13 might be the minimum chip supported... iPhone 11 series and newer
I'm leaning more on the first one...

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
  • A14 might be the minimum chip supported... iPhone 12 series and newer
  • A13 might be the minimum chip supported... iPhone 11 series and newer
I'm leaning more on the first one...
I'm gonna say A15 will be minimum chip supported - iPhone 13 and newer

flybass

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
I'm gonna say A15 will be minimum chip supported - iPhone 13 and newer
If processing is on the cloud rather than on-device (since probably none of these phones have enough RAM), I'd think we don't really have much in terms of hardware requirements.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
If processing is on the cloud rather than on-device (since probably none of these phones have enough RAM), I'd think we don't really have much in terms of hardware requirements.
Some things will likely still require server side processing if it involves large amounts of data. Other things may be able to be handled locally. Hopefully they are flexible enough about it that older devices would do more remote processing and the benefit of newer devices would be more local processing.

• Love

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
So, what is the equivalent M2 chip to the A series?

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
What is the relevance of this question?
Just trying to make sure that the M2 chip is one generally thought to support AI updates. People always mention the iPhone chips, but I only have an iPad and I didn’t know what the equivalent was. You’re dealing with a non-techie here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.