Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Just trying to make sure that the M2 chip is one generally thought to support AI updates. People always mention the iPhone chips, but I only have an iPad and I didn’t know what the equivalent was. You’re dealing with a non-techie here.
If that is your concern it would be against anything from the M1 and later for MacOS. The equivalent A family also. Example A12 Bionic.
Apple’s neural processing unit in ARM handles the algorithms behind AI, augmented reality and machine learning (ML).

Last edited:
Reactions: Fraserpatty

flybass

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
Just trying to make sure that the M2 chip is one generally thought to support AI updates. People always mention the iPhone chips, but I only have an iPad and I didn’t know what the equivalent was. You’re dealing with a non-techie here.
Not to bring up the other hotly debated item right now… but I can’t help myself. It may be RAM is the on-device limiting factor. I think a heavily quantized small llama2 (which isn’t great) has weights that are 4GB.

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
Not to bring up the other hotly debated item right now… but I can’t help myself. It may be RAM is the on-device limiting factor. I think a heavily quantized small llama2 (which isn’t great) has weights that are 4GB.
Um. If it is, I have 16 GB. Hope that’s enough.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
What I REALLY want them to fix is this "waiting for animation to end"-bs.
It's really annoying. I know the phone can be faster. For example when you wake the phone and want to quickly swipe to the widgets on the lock screen, you always have to wait like a second/it's unresponsive for a second. I know I am the only one maybe but it's so annoying. Its in other places to. I think my a17 pro could handle it a bit faster.
Just turn all that crap off in the settings. Lightning fast. Wait, no, USB fast... wait, no, USB 3+ fast...

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
I'll just be happy if Siri becomes worth using.

That said I'll be interested in what Apple can do with all that $ they are sitting on. OpenAI, Microsoft, Google, Nvidia have done a lot with AI but what can Apple, the richest tech company on the planet, do?

And them taking their time is good news. No more buggy releases please!!
YEah sure, but the features phones like the Google Pixel have been putting out in each iteration, that genuinely, usefully, leverage AI, are pretty impressive.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
I don't know about the Contacts, but when you set a meeting in another time zone, you can chose the time zone in Calendar while you input the meeting. When you get invited to a meeting, it should be correct automatically. But just in case, when scheduling other time zones, I always set the local times in the subject.
Nope. If someone says hey, the meeting is in London next week on Wednesday at 10 a.m., you're going to create an appointment in your calendar that says 10:00 a.m. Expecting the user to look up the math of the time-zone offset, or even the time zone of the destination, and then alter the time accordingly is offensively absurd. Not to mention that there's not even a time zone shown in the appointment UI:

appointment.png

The phone always shows the correct local time. So why in the living shℹ︎t does Apple assume otherwise? It's just so unbelievably stupid. There's no option to simply say, "use phone's displayed time for all appointments."

Last edited:

aallord

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2022
Actually, provide an off button for all the AI garbage, since you won't listen and just not put it in the OS at all.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Actually, provide an off button for all the AI garbage, since you won't listen and just not put it in the OS at all.
Are you offended by the new typing suggestions in iOS 17? They use a small instance of AI and most people seem to like the improvements there. I expect Apple to use AI to enhance the way various features work to be more effective and to focus less on the kind of CatGPT answerbot that some people associate with AI.

After all, Apple has been using AI for lots of features in Photos for several years but you might not realize it was AI unless you read about it.

Reactions: flybass

AAPLbuyback

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2023
I'll just be happy if Siri becomes worth using.

That said I'll be interested in what Apple can do with all that $ they are sitting on. OpenAI, Microsoft, Google, Nvidia have done a lot with AI but what can Apple, the richest tech company on the planet, do?

And them taking their time is good news. No more buggy releases please!!
What consumer AI is really that useful? ChatGPT, bard, etc are cool gimmicks but consistently wrong, have bias, and aren’t as useful now as a Google search. This is why there was initial excitement and everyone went back to using Google search 99.9% of the time.

“AI” is a tech buzz word. If has some application in business but for consumers today, it’s nothing.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
I am greatly looking forward to the all new iOS version next year, hopefully we will be able to finally put our icons where we want on the screen.

smeagol

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2003
New York
This paragraph is highly enlightning to me. So Apple engineers the software for each chip separately? They first build the OS for M1, then M2, then M3? That's not going to scale well. Also the "software engineering management team" is searching for bugs themselves? No quality assurance team? That explains a lot... Also that fixing bugs is not part of development explains why Apple often doesn't fix bugs for years...
This sentence is confusing, but I don't think it means what you think it means, because this is not how software works. Operating systems and the software that runs on them, are compatible across the board with the processor they are paired with. Microsoft doesn't create separate versions of windows for each processor iteration out there and neither does Apple, aside from the random driver updates which is a component fix.

Also, if you read the whole sentence it says, "Apple last month finished the first "M1" versions of iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and macOS 15". The M1 is a desktop only processor, why would they also create software versions for iOS18 and iPadOS 18?

WaltCD

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Also, if you read the whole sentence it says, "Apple last month finished the first "M1" versions of iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and macOS 15". The M1 is a desktop only processor, why would they also create software versions for iOS18 and iPadOS 18?

I agree. I believe "M1" is just their first iteration of something. Such as Alpha, Beta, and production version.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Maybe "AI" will give the iPhone the ability to do what millions of other telephonic devices have been doing for decades: audibly notify us of missed calls.

Reactions: jwdsail
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.