Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
According to Apple Insider, the latest Intel prototypes feature a startup chime different to the one that has been used in Power Macs for nearly a decade. It is not set in stone yet, but the change in the chime could be as symbolic in PPC->Intel as 68k->PPC.
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1410

I'm not too sure what to think about that. I trust Apple and all, so I won't lose sleep over it. I'm just used to the current chime and it is comforting to hear it every time I hit the power button. With that said, the old chime from my PM6100 was cool too. I'd guess this next generation would still be the same chord. Discuss.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I love love love love the current start up chime. If they change it... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... :rolleyes:

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
This made me think of that video of the guy with the absurdly long/loud startup chime in his school's library. I'm pretty sure it was on the MacTV podcast... Hilarious. As to the rumor, I'm pretty happy with the current chime (there's something oddly soothing about it). But change can be good, and I'm not categorically opposed to a new one. I'll say this though, if they do change it, it'd better be REALLY good, or you're going to see a lot of furious, hardcore Mac fans rioting at the Applestores!

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
god, as long as its not as overly dramatic as the orchestral music you get when you log into windows. One computer at school has big speakers that get left on pretty loud sometimes, that doesn't mix well with the sound i've already professed my hatred for.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I love the current startup chime, especially when you connect a Mac up to a good set of speakers and turn the bass right up. I don't like badly mixed audio, but in this case, it just sounds so intimidating. It's great.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I just thought of this (and it's probably really stupid), but Apple should have a contest open to the public to submit entries for a new chime. Jobs picks the one he likes and gives an iPod or something to the winner. I think it'd be hilarious to hear the inevitable junk that people would come up with (people whispering crazy stuff into their built in mic), but there'd probably be some good stuff too. It'd be good PR at least and get the press talking about Macs instead of just iTunes/iPod.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
It's about time. Come on, apple is about change and innovation and they're still stuck with that old chime. I trust apple to have better taste at pickin a chime than microsoft, microsoft's taste in chimes shockly reflects steve jobs statement that microsoft simply has no taste.
I don't think such an idea would sit well with Jobs's psychology GorillaPaws. With how picky and perfectionist he is, it would be like having a piano novice picking a theme for beethoven's next symphony.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Morn said:
I don't think such an idea would sit well with Jobs's psychology GorillaPaws. With how picky and perfectionist he is, it would be like having a piano novice picking a theme for beethoven's next symphony.

True, except the majority of professional musicians are Apple users. But you're right, I'm sure Jobs would never go for it.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
It seems perfectly clear to me. The current startup chime would just cost way too much to port over to the Intel architecture. It's been encoded specifically for PPC. I'm sure they'll just have to create a new, totally intel-compatible chime from the ground up.

(and, this is Sarcasm. Most of my posts employ it, so don't bother correcting me)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I've kind of gotten attached to that start up chime.....I'd vote keep it but I'm sure after a while I'll get used to a new one.

BTW the current start up chime was introduced in the Quadras, so it isn't strictly a feature of a PPC Mac.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
I for one find the start up chime annoying (on both Mac & Windows). Not the sound itself, per se - They are just too damn loud! Why isn't there a way to adjust the volume level on this in system preferences? If there is, please let me know!

Luckily, I rarely turn it off so I don't have to hear it much. Yeah sleep!

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
m-dogg said:
I for one find the start up chime annoying (on both Mac & Windows). Not the sound itself, per se - They are just too damn loud! Why isn't there a way to adjust the volume level on this in system preferences? If there is, please let me know!

Unless you have a bluetooth keyboard, you should be able to hold the mute button while booting to avoid the chime.

Azurael

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005
I was quite depressed to learn that the startup chime on my Mac mini only ever comes out of the internal speaker. Sometimes I hook up all the audio equipment to and reboot one of my servers (Yosemite 350 or PCC PowerCenter Pro) just so I can hear it through my hi-fi...not... (but I'm stil distressed)

They can't change the dongggggg! It's been the same ever since since the first Open Firmware Macs!

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
mad jew said:
I'll probably switch back to Windows. That's the final straw.

LOL...thats too funny! :D

Seriously though, I think 2006 will mark some serious changes at Apple on the computer front. Its going to be a big year, full of changes and new stuff. Some people may like the changes, some may not. Apple can't please everyone.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Azurael said:
I was quite depressed to learn that the startup chime on my Mac mini only ever comes out of the internal speaker. Sometimes I hook up all the audio equipment to and reboot one of my servers (Yosemite 350 or PCC PowerCenter Pro) just so I can hear it through my hi-fi...not... (but I'm stil distressed)

They can't change the dongggggg! It's been the same ever since since the first Open Firmware Macs!

Actually the current Mac chime has been out before that, starting with the Performa 6400. Correct me if I'm wrong, but original iMac (233 MHz Bondi Blue) was the first Mac with open firmware in it.

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
adk said:
Does anybody realize we just got into a 20 response debate over a one second long sound?

Thats what great about this site, every little detail will be disected many times over.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
m-dogg said:

Yeah seriously who shuts their machines down now a days anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.