Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
mklos said:
Actually the current Mac chime has been out before that, starting with the Performa 6400

Actually, my old Quadra 660AV sports the current startup chime, and I believe it is the oldest Mac to do so (it became our the family computer in 1993) other than the Quadra 840AV, which beat it by a couple months.

Edit: how could more than one poster with Mactracker think the 9500 was the first? Did you guys even check older Macs? Personally, I think that the unique startup chimes of the 20th Anniversary Mac and the Power Mac 8100 are cool enough to warrant the download.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
See what we started here... hehe :D

I do know for a fact that the iMac was the first Mac to have an open firmware chip in it. UNLESS....

Azurael

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005
Wrong. All PCI PowerMacs have Open Firmware. The original implementation (Version 2.x and below) as featured on these machines (OldWorld) wasn't entirely 'complete' and still had the MacOS ROM integrated (but it is functional enough to natively boot other OSses like Linux and OS X, bypassing the Mac ROM).

The original iMac was the first machine to have the much cleaner, complete Open Firmware 3.x (NewWorld) implementation that loads the Mac ROM (only needed under OS 9) from the disk if needed. The only PPC Macs that don't have an Open Firmware are the NuBus & LC-based models.

The startup chime on Pre-PCI Macs (including the afforementioned Quadra) is similar to the current one, but not the same.

The LC-slot equipped PowerMacs have interesting and different chimes (like the 5200/5300), but those are pre-openfirmware too.

In summary, if your Mac has Open Firmware rather than a hardcoded Mac ROM (i.e. all PCI Macs and Clones leading up to todays G5s), it has the current startup chime. If it doesn't fall into the afformentioned category (i.e. it's a PowerMac but has Nubus or LC Slots or is a pre-PPC Mac), it has a different one.

The TAM is a (the only?) PCI Mac with a different startup chime, that's one exception I guess, but the whole machine was a bit different to anything else (I always wanted one, but not at £5000!) ;)

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Not all PCI PowerMacs had the New world Rom. The beige G3 was PCI based but still had the Rom chip on the board. This is why on the original G3s OS X was limited to the first 8GB of the drive with no way to change that limitation.

The New world roms did not arrive on the PowerMacs until the Blue and White G3. Even with the New World Roms in the B&W you still missed functions of the Open Firmware you have today. It was not until the AGP based G4s did you have the boot manager and Target Disk mode

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I think some of you guys are confusing the Windows start up music with the Mac POST (power on self test) chime. The PC has a POST sound as well, that screechy beep that's been around since Bill Gates had pimples. Microsoft added that silly boot up celebration music to Windows, but it really signifies nothing but Microsoft's bad taste, and thankfully can be turned off.

Changing the Mac's POST chime now makes sense, seeing as how the boot ROMs will be different with the Intel Macs.

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
IJ Reilly said:
Changing the Mac's POST chime now makes sense, seeing as how the boot ROMs will be different with the Intel Macs.

I agree. The boot roms will be EFI not Open Firmware so a change would be in order.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
The Centris from 1993 seems to have the current chime. and the AV quadra's. There were some 68k macs with it.

Azurael

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005
jane doe said:
Not all PCI PowerMacs had the New world Rom. The beige G3 was PCI based but still had the Rom chip on the board. This is why on the original G3s OS X was limited to the first 8GB of the drive with no way to change that limitation. The New world roms did not arrive on the PowerMacs until the Blue and White G3.
Where did I say they did; I said all PCI Macs have Open Fimware. I never said they were all NewWorld machines. By the way, you're slightly wrong about the B&W being the first NewWorld machine too; the iMac (released ~7 months prior to the Yosemite) was actually the first NewWorld (Open Firmware 3.x) machine.

Even with the New World Roms in the B&W you still missed functions of the Open Firmware you have today. It was not until the AGP based G4s did you have the boot manager and Target Disk mode
I wasn't talking about feature completeness from that point of view; I was talking about a complete IEEE-1275 compliant OF implementation with no dependency on the Mac ROM. OldWorld ROMs had significant issues with reading data from filesystems other than FAT12; the ROM had to be specifically told where to look for data in an HFS filesystem to be able to read it, which is one of the main problems presented when using anything other than OS 9 on an OldWorld machine (OS X uses the Mac OS ROM to configure booting, which is why you see a happy Mac, followed by a reboot to the grey OS X boot screen when first booting OS X on a Beige G3 or Wallstret). The Boot Manager and Firewire TDM are merely conveniences bolted into the ROM by Apple. Thery're nothing to do with having a complete, bug-free OF implementation.

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Azurael said:
Where did I say they did; I said all PCI Macs have Open Fimware. I never said they were all NewWorld machines. By the way, you're slightly wrong about the B&W being the first NewWorld machine too; the iMac (released ~7 months prior to the Yosemite) was actually the first NewWorld (Open Firmware 3.x) machine.

I wasn't talking about feature completeness from that point of view; I was talking about a complete IEEE-1275 compliant OF implementation with no dependency on the Mac ROM. OldWorld ROMs had significant issues with reading data from filesystems other than FAT12; the ROM had to be specifically told where to look for data in an HFS filesystem to be able to read it, which is one of the main problems presented when using anything other than OS 9 on an OldWorld machine (OS X uses the Mac OS ROM to configure booting, which is why you see a happy Mac, followed by a reboot to the grey OS X boot screen when first booting OS X on a Beige G3 or Wallstret). The Boot Manager and Firewire TDM are merely conveniences bolted into the ROM by Apple. Thery're nothing to do with having a complete, bug-free OF implementation.

My apologies, I misunderstood what you were saying. I read your statement as "all PCI based machines were newworld".

My comments about the B&W were referring to the PowerMac Models, I was disregarding all other models.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I don't understand why they didn't describe it at all. I can't help but think that apple people plant these things sort of as a puzzle for us to discuss...

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
yeah apple please dont changed the chime sound. but if u must at least go back to one of the ones that has been used in the past

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Macmadant said:
wrong my powermac 6500 has the same start-up sound as my 8 month old ibook g4
Since the Power Mac 6500 series came after the 9500, how does that make me wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.