Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wtfnub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
Hi, yesterday I was having some problems with air video hd on my ipad. I decided to delete the app on my ipad and then download it again from the app store.

However, when I started searching the app store for it, it’s no longer there. I contacted apple support and they checked it out and they confirmed it was not in the app store anymore.

Does anyone know why it‘s no longer in the app store and secondly, is there anyway that I can transfer airvideo hd from my iphone to my ipad ?

I still have the app on my phone, but I really need it to be on my ipad, and I still have Air Video server on my Nuc.

Can anyone help me get it back on to my ipad ?

Thanks in advance

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
If you long press the app on your iPhone you can choose to share it via AirDrop to your iPad. I hope this works for you.

wtfnub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
If you long press the app on your iPhone you can choose to share it via AirDrop to your iPad. I hope this works for you.
Thanks, I will give that a go, fingers crossed that it works.

Cheers

wtfnub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
It didn’t work, it took me to the app store and gave me the “app not available in your region” error. Regardless of region, the app is not even on the app store at all. When I tried to send it from my phone to ipad using airdrop, all it does is send a url to my ipad which then opens up the app store and gives me the error I mentioned above.

looks like I’m crap out of luck

Last edited:

wtfnub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
What about if you go into "Purchased" in the App Store? It should list everything you've ever bought, regardless of whether it's still available for purchase.

Nope, it’s not in All or Not on this ipad.

But if I go to settings, my name and “purchase history”, it is there, but I can’t download it at all, since its not in the app store, it looks like I will have to use a backup that was done in itunes, hopefully the app will be in there and not try to grab it from the app store instead. Apple support confirmed that the app was no longer in the app store.

warning to everyone, don’t delete air video hd as by the looks of things, you will never get it back unless you have made a hard backup and even then it’s debatable if it will reappear.

Cheers

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I will have to use a backup that was done in itunes, hopefully the app will be in there
Unfortunately, backups don't contain apps. Back in the good old days you could copy apps into iTunes (.ipa files) but they made this really difficult circa-2017.

Reactions: wtfnub

wtfnub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
Unfortunately, backups don't contain apps. Back in the good old days you could copy apps into iTunes (.ipa files) but they made this really difficult circa-2017.
Ah well, it looks like I’ve lost it for good, but I have 1 card yet to play, it’s called an email to inmethod in the hopes they re-upload it to the app store again. :D

Cheers and thanks for the info.

Reactions: AlixSPQR

ayaka19

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2019
Hi @wtfnub , I just got a new iPad and I also couldn't install Air Video HD even when I restored from backup. Did you email them and did you get a reply?

wtfnub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
Hi @wtfnub , I just got a new iPad and I also couldn't install Air Video HD even when I restored from backup. Did you email them and did you get a reply?

super fast reply from me 😎

No, they never emailed me back which I think is ****ed up, and apple should keep all apps that you have to pay for on the app store / their servers/cloud, so that its always available.

sorry dude 😥

Maybe try VLC instead ? Not sure that it will do the same thing but I think it does.

Last edited by a moderator:

ayaka19

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2019
super fast reply from me 😎

No, they never emailed me back which I think is ****ed up, and apple should keep all apps that you have to pay for on the app store / their servers/cloud, so that its always available.

sorry dude 😥

Maybe try VLC instead ? Not sure that it will do the same thing but I think it does.
Noooooo that app is like 30% the reason I buy a new iPad haha.

Did you ended up replacing it with any other apps?

Reactions: p-ho

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yeah, I think air video has been a dead app for a number of years already. I think at this point, it's better to just migrate to another app, though I still haven't found an alternative (even infuse is not a 1:1 replacement).

Reactions: pacorob

ayaka19

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2019
Yeah, I think air video has been a dead app for a number of years already. I think at this point, it's better to just migrate to another app, though I still haven't found an alternative (even infuse is not a 1:1 replacement).
Thanks for the Infuse recommendation. It works relatively well, but I still miss a few Air Video HD features.

pcbobpc

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2017
I have Air Video HD on my phone and my iPad and all of a sudden it disappeared on my iPad. I downloaded a demo of Imazing and it allowed me to download the app from my iPhone and save it to my PC and then when I hooked up my iPad I was able to reinstall to my iPad and it works great now again.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Thanks for the Infuse recommendation. It works relatively well, but I still miss a few Air Video HD features.
Yeah, I especially miss the ability to stream a show from another Mac or hard drive. For infuse, I think the next closest thing is to upload your content to a cloud service (like OneDrive) and then stream directly from there. Which is an added step and takes up more time.

gekyr

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2020
I also use Air Video HD on all my devices, iPhone, iPad, and all Apple TVs around the house.

A couple of weeks ago I updated the Apple TV's tvOS version from 16.2 to 16.3. When the update completed and Apple TV booted up, the Air Video HD app was still present on the Home Screen alongside my other apps but trying to click it, it would try to download it from the App Store and instantly throw the "no longer available on the App Store" error msg.

Why would the apps get deleted when updating tvOS?

p-ho

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2023
Hello fellow Air Video Lovers!

I’m also an Air Video HD fan since the beginning. I use Plex on a couple of TVs at home but its not the same at all when traveling on mobile devices. I also prefer Kodi as default media player at home.
With Air Video I mostly download movies so I can use them offline for example flying long distance flights. With Plex you must pay for premium subscription among other things. Air Video is simple and just plays files.

Guess the developer got tired of the bureaucracy with App Store and needing to update the app all the time. Right now, I use it on my iPhone and iPad. I plan to buy the new iPhone 15 and I realize it won’t be available then ☹ I’m also going to be careful when updating to iOS 17 on my iPad because who knows, Air Video might not work then.

I would be glad to pay again for the App to support the developer, but I guess he just canceled the project. Wish there was an alternative but there isn’t. On an Android you can copy .mkv to a memory card and just play it offline but its not that easy on the iPhone. Back in the days I used to convert .mvk to apple movie files but that was quite an effort.

ayaka19

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2019
Hello fellow Air Video Lovers!

I’m also an Air Video HD fan since the beginning. I use Plex on a couple of TVs at home but its not the same at all when traveling on mobile devices. I also prefer Kodi as default media player at home.
With Air Video I mostly download movies so I can use them offline for example flying long distance flights. With Plex you must pay for premium subscription among other things. Air Video is simple and just plays files.

Guess the developer got tired of the bureaucracy with App Store and needing to update the app all the time. Right now, I use it on my iPhone and iPad. I plan to buy the new iPhone 15 and I realize it won’t be available then ☹ I’m also going to be careful when updating to iOS 17 on my iPad because who knows, Air Video might not work then.

I would be glad to pay again for the App to support the developer, but I guess he just canceled the project. Wish there was an alternative but there isn’t. On an Android you can copy .mkv to a memory card and just play it offline but its not that easy on the iPhone. Back in the days I used to convert .mvk to apple movie files but that was quite an effort.
If you just want to play it offline you can use the VLC app.

BevBoy4

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2023
Like all of you I'm a great fan of AVHD and have been for years. I would also be very happy to pay for an updated version. I read here about using codecs from VLC, but my tech knowledge fails me here. Would one of the guys who's done it please advise how to do this procedure. iMac with Mac OS 13.4 Ventura. Many thanks for the help.

kulinsj

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2023
On my iPad I was able to get it installed by checking the "not on this ipad" section in the app store "purchased" area. I checked on an ios 14 and 15 device and confirmed it works. I don't think I have a 16+ device to check on and I'm too concerned over losing the app and not being able to get it back to want to upgrade anything to that, but check it out - you may still be able to restore it if you downloaded it before

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpeg
    IMG_0008.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 204
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.