Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The International Air Transport Association, or IATA, announced today that it plans to launch a digital travel passport for COVID-19 test results and vaccination certificates on Apple's App Store around April 15.

iata-airline-body.jpg

As reported by Reuters, IATA has had the digital passport in development for the past few months and is currently undergoing beta testing. Initial plans called for the digital pass to launch at the end of March, but undisclosed reasons pushed the release into mid-Apri.

The app will show whether a person has tested positive for COVID-19 and may become the international standard for proving someone has been vaccinated.

Kamil Alawadhi, IATA's regional VP for Africa and the Middle East, says the new app will only become valid when counties, airports, and airlines adopt it and make it a requirement. Already, UK-based airline Virgin Atlantic said that it would begin a trial of the pass with a flight on April 16 from London to Barbados, which will require travelers to present upon arrival.

Article Link: Airline Body IATA to Launch COVID-19 Travel Passport App in April

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
I see this as a positive development for a lot of reasons.

For one, establishing an international standard. Anyone who's traveled to undeveloped or underdeveloped regions has experienced carrying a cardstock vax card for production at entry ports.

Second, a large group of the population is wary of government sponsored vax passports, particularly in the US. But, to return to a life where we can do things like go to ball games and concerts, it's going to be a necessity. Too many people will forge or out and out like about their status, which is unacceptable. People might be more inclined to trust an industry group like the IATA than their government.

Finally, it will encourage more people to get their vaccine. I know a LOT of people have a hesitancy to do so. I understand the large list of reasons why. I certainly don't agree with them all.

I've had both doses of the Moderna vax. Our work got it for us early as we are front line essential, so I had my second shot back in February. My wife gets her second this Saturday. She was a bit hesitant, as was I at first. One of my doctors participated in the Moderna trial as a recipient. After speaking with him, I decided to go ahead with it.

Me and my wife both had minimal side effects. I had a sore arm and felt lousy the next day. She as well, but a bit tired. I had no side effects to the second shot. I was also previously infected with COVID and (obviously) survived.

I would encourage everyone who has not, and has access to get the vax. A large group of my co workers had it at the same time, and only 2 had reactions that were similar to a flu shot reaction.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Stupid. Whether or not I’ve had the vaccine is nobody’s business but mine.

you have to prove vaccination to 1) travel to many international countries, 2) go to school (elementary, middle, high, college, or post graduate including boosters if needed), 3) for select occupations (ie healthcare fields), 4) joining the military. And when I say proof, actual records from a facility.

This individual liberty nonsense is theatrical drama at best and is eye rolling because it either demonstrates lack of basic knowledge of how things have worked with respect to public health or stem from sheer foolishness.

you don’t want to comply? That’s fine, you’re not entitled to air travel, movie theaters, dining establishments, live performance venues. They’re largely private businesses. No shirt no service? Just as legal as requiring proof of serologic protection.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
People who predicted this a year ago were called "conspiracy theorists". Welcome to the future where your freedom is a thing of the past. They like to call it the "new normal"
It is hard to know how to take these requirements. In a pandemic where getting this virus can end your life
where does your freedom begin and end? The argument smokers use is that they should be free to smoke
anywhere.

tsduke

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
you have to prove vaccination to 1) travel to many international countries, 2) go to school (elementary, middle, high, college, or post graduate including boosters if needed), 3) for select occupations (ie healthcare fields), 4) joining the military. And when I say proof, actual records from a facility.

This individual liberty nonsense is theatrical drama at best and is eye rolling because it either demonstrates lack of basic knowledge of how things have worked with respect to public health or stem from sheer foolishness.

you don’t want to comply? That’s fine, you’re not entitled to air travel, movie theaters, dining establishments, live performance venues. They’re largely private businesses. No shirt no service? Just as legal as requiring proof of serologic protection.
Not at all the same. This one they want us going around wearing stars.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Surprising that there are people willing to comply with this type of stuff. They just make it way too easy. A little scare like a virus and all of a sudden everyone is lining up for whatever shots they offer you just to return to daily life.
If you know someone that has died or had it and have not fully recovered, that is a great motivator.
I got the shot because I had to, my whole circle got it, and now we can get together.
So what is the solution? not to wear a mask and not to get vaccinated? to just keep
passing it around?

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Someone have to be completely blind to not see where this is taking us. Basically, pretty soon our freedoms could be something we are allowed to practice only in our private space (home). It is true, fear is the greatest weapen of all times for controling people. It truly works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.