Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
My ears did not like the AirPod Pros. They also do not love the AirPod 3s. I can use them but they eventually make my ears sore. Has anyone successfully trained their ears to get used to the AirPods (pros or 3s) when they initially had pain?

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
That happens. Maybe you're wearing them too much, or your ears, out of the blue, have been compressed.

Give it a try, if not I would recommend using earphones with classic nozzles. But as for me if you're looking for quality then wired is the only reasonable option

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I think some people might be pushing them in too hard. I carry them fairly loosely and do not feel them 1 min after insertion. I have fallen asleep with them in.

Reactions: scrane

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I wear Airpods 2 all day - and the Pros created a pressure seal on my ears that made my jaw hurt really bad so I could never get used to the Pros. Airpods 3 are perfect. I've noticed that my ears are a bit more sensitive to them than the 2s (smaller) - but just gradually get your ears used to them by wearing them a bit longer every day - if you do get a problem, say an injury - make sure to give it several days to heal.

I've noticed with the 3s I need to clean out my ears more often - something I didn't need to do as often on the 2s. But I really like the sound upgrade on the 3s vs the 2s.

So right now I alternate between the 2s and 3s.

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I wear Airpods 2 all day - and the Pros created a pressure seal on my ears that made my jaw hurt really bad so I could never get used to the Pros. Airpods 3 are perfect. I've noticed that my ears are a bit more sensitive to them than the 2s (smaller) - but just gradually get your ears used to them by wearing them a bit longer every day - if you do get a problem, say an injury - make sure to give it several days to heal.

I've noticed with the 3s I need to clean out my ears more often - and the Airpods - - something I didn't need to do as often on the 2s. But I really like the sound upgrade on the 3s vs the 2s.

So right now I alternate between the 2s and 3s.

You might want to grab a spare set of the 2s to last you for some while just in case, to get maximum battery life performance out of either set, since you are alternating between them.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Everyone’s ears are different and while AirPods 2 naturally fit most people, some are still complaining that they fall out easily or do not deliver good enough sound. AP3 fit me well, but APP did not. It’s pretty much like with shoes or clothes, we need to try them to see what fits better.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Return them & get the Pros.

You get much more for your money, and they fit better.
Massively blanket statement that. Lots of people (myself included) don’t like silicone tipped buds and/or in-ear ANC.

AP3 are absolutely perfect for me - they’ve got all the tech I WANT (spatial audio etc) and none of the stuff that makes the APP uncomfortable and oppressive to wear.

Reactions: PaulKemp

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
Massively blanket statement that. Lots of people (myself included) don’t like silicone tipped buds and/or in-ear ANC.

AP3 are absolutely perfect for me - they’ve got all the tech I WANT (spatial audio etc) and none of the stuff that makes the APP uncomfortable and oppressive to wear.
I’m glad you’re happy with them.

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
My ears didn't hurt wearing them, but they didn't fit and constantly fell out. When I lost my first one due to it falling out in a flushing toilet, I went back to the 2's. They fit great and never fall out, even when cycling on bumpy tracks.

The 3's sounded better, but just didn't work for me unfortunately. I don't care about the sound quality that much since I mostly use them when I exercise or in just one ear as I'm laying in bed.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
My 3s are going back. I've been trying to justify them but they shouldn't cause any discomfort at all. Not even a little. The sound is much improved but I'll look for the next iteration of them.

• Love

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
My 3s are going back. I've been trying to justify them but they shouldn't cause any discomfort at all. Not even a little. The sound is much improved but I'll look for the next iteration of them.

Just how it went for me also (month ago now).

My problem was that I had all the years with the 1's and 2's -- so literally any discomfort was noticeable and irritating to me. They almost need two sizes of these, but I'm guessing they can't make the "bulb" any smaller while still retaining the needed hardware inside.

It's a shame.
I felt like I was excited and waiting forever for the AP3s and it was such a major letdown for me.

I hope they don't discontinue the AP2's until/unless there is a nearly directly upgrade at some point. The AP3 really isn't it due to the design change and new "fit".

MattEcho

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2011
After trying both AP3 and APP since Christmas, I'm returning both of them. I've always loved the wired Apple headphones and the original AirPods. They fit my ears perfectly, I use them for conference/Zoom/Teams calls and pretty much every other call. These new ones fall out of my ears when talking...they're just too big. It's disappointing to say the least. I hope Apple keeps the AP2's updated and for sale.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I tried to make them work out but the on and off pain was just not worth it. They were more comfy than the pros but with that stupid bulbous design the brought over from the pros, the 3 are now painful. The Gen 2 fit me perfectly and I bought an extra pair to have for longevity. Since this crummy bulb design is what they’re sticking with for the forseaable future. Makes no sense given that the original design sold by the tens of millions.

scrane

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2021
The AP3 is a little larger than I would prefer, but I assume there's a bigger driver inside to generate the fantastic sound.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The sound difference between the AP2 and AP3 is noticeable. I have both. The AP3 don’t hurt my ears like the APP. The bass is very noticeably different as well. I definitely prefer them because they are a lot more snug and filter more sound around me. But I could see how some people would prefer the AP2 - which are amazing.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I’m thinking about trying the AP3s again. Has anyone with ear pain “trained” their ears so they got used to wearing them comfortably?

Just picked up the Beats Studio Pros and they fit great but sound like crap.

zachleft

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2018
I dunno why they changed the ear design. The original airpods fit my ear so well. The 3s fit fine as well but the design of the first two were much more comfortable. Haven't had the pros

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I think the AP3 fit so much better than the 2s.

I like the angled design of the AP3 which means the sound is kinda facing the correct direction vs the AP2 whereby you had to constantly fiddle with them to get the angle correct!

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Return them & get the Pros.

You get much more for your money, and they fit better.
APP rely on getting jammed into your “ear-hole” so I don’t think they’re good for someone complaining about issues with AP3.

AP3 are a much looser fit. Well, except if you manage to jam the tips deep into your ear canals which I’m suspecting is what a lot of people are doing.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Pitching in. Love the pros fit vise, but dont like the fact that my ear canal is sealed with passive noise canceling. Might look into getting AP3's. Have loved the earlier iterations of wireless airpods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.