Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Another update... I decided to try wrapping a tiny piece of tissue paper in the empty area underneath the ear tip rubber, to add some extra structure/stiffness to the tips.

Doing this makes my AirPods pass the fit test. :eek:

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Another update... I decided to try wrapping a tiny piece of tissue paper in the empty area underneath the ear tip rubber, to add some extra structure/stiffness to the tips.

Doing this makes my AirPods pass the fit test. :eek:

Im wondering if one o those hacks where you use memory foam in tandem with the silicone tips would work for me.

sft109

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
I got my replacement set today (3rd pair). They pass as expected. It’s also clear they have much more bass. Even when you do the tip test that first bass hit is so much stronger with this pair. My wife’s set which still passes since day of release also sounds like that. My previous 2 sets the sound changed when it started to fail the test regularly. And I had confirmed it wasn’t the tips since the same tips on my wife’s set passed the test 100% of the time.

I won’t be working out in these for a few weeks to see if that was causing any issues with sweat buildup messing something up.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
So, I had a call out of the blue from the States today from an Apple engineer. I guess that one of my comments on the Apple forums about the seal test and noise cancelling issues must have struck a chord with Apple. I missed the initial call from Apple but they called me back five mins after that so they were obviously keen to speak to me This guy was very thorough with his questions as he chatted with me for half an hour and was clearly compiling data on when noise cancelling fails and the effect on sound quality. He was very interested to hear about the tips and the fact that noise cancelling seems to fail after six or seven days and was very concerned to hear that I was on my 4th set of replacement AirPods.
I told him about the make shift memory foam solutions that some of the guys are trying on here with some success and I explained that many others seem to be having the same NC and seal test issues and I referred him to the threads in this forum. I also mentioned that the latest firmware upgrade seems to have been detrimental to the quality of the noise cancelling.
He is calling me back tomorrow to discuss further and as my 4th set of replacement AirPod are sat in my home waiting to be unboxed, he wants me to check what version of firmware is currently on them.
i think that possibly Apple are acknowledging that there is an issue with the Pro’s and need as much info as possible for their engineering team.

Reactions: adrianlondon

John Yester

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Man I even tried keeping them loose in my ears and not all the way in and still passed with good seal.

I wish all of you better luck and hopefully this issue is fixed for you.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
So, I had a call out of the blue from the States today from an Apple engineer. I guess that one of my comments on the Apple forums about the seal test and noise cancelling issues must have struck a chord with Apple. I missed the initial call from Apple but they called me back five mins after that so they were obviously keen to speak to me This guy was very thorough with his questions as he chatted with me for half an hour and was clearly compiling data on when noise cancelling fails and the effect on sound quality. He was very interested to hear about the tips and the fact that noise cancelling seems to fail after six or seven days and was very concerned to hear that I was on my 4th set of replacement AirPods.
I told him about the make shift memory foam solutions that some of the guys are trying on here with some success and I explained that many others seem to be having the same NC and seal test issues and I referred him to the threads in this forum. I also mentioned that the latest firmware upgrade seems to have been detrimental to the quality of the noise cancelling.
He is calling me back tomorrow to discuss further and as my 4th set of replacement AirPod are sat in my home waiting to be unboxed, he wants me to check what version of firmware is currently on them.
i think that possibly Apple are acknowledging that there is an issue with the Pro’s and need as much info as possible for their engineering team.

That's good news. Hoping there's a solution around the corner.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
My 5th set of airoods have now arrived so will be wondering if they last more than six or seven days before the NC fails again.
i have memory foam from various third parties on order so see it I can get some performance continuity out of the pods
If my fit test didn’t work on the 5th pair and ANC failed as a result I would look for something else.

Reactions: whsbuss and EdMan

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
If my fit test didn’t work on the 5th pair and ANC failed as a result I would look for something else.

My fit test fails now, but they still sound totally fine (the same as they've sounded since I bought them). No loss of noise cancelling ability at all. :D

smarcotte

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Quick update. I received my second set of replacement AirPods Pro today. The right sealed without problem but it took a few tries for the left to seal. This was the same scenario as the original set and the first set of replacements. The tips of these new ones feel different than the replacement tips I received earlier this week. The ANC is very good (currently typing in a very noisy setting and sound is well isolated). We shall see how these seal/perform in the next few days.

hesoba

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2017
Lolz... These people here...
If there would be a mechanical problem we would have heard about it big time.

Reactions: EdMan

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Quick update. I received my second set of replacement AirPods Pro today. The right sealed without problem but it took a few tries for the left to seal. This was the same scenario as the original set and the first set of replacements. The tips of these new ones feel different than the replacement tips I received earlier this week. The ANC is very good (currently typing in a very noisy setting and sound is well isolated). We shall see how these seal/perform in the next few days.
I doubt there’s any improvement in the tips since release.

Reactions: EdMan

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018

It kind of blows my mind that Apple didn't have the foresight to realize that creating a "Fit Test" function is kind of stupid. You have some customers who would have been perfectly happy with slightly ill-fitting AirPods indefinitely, except there's a software function that's telling them there's a problem they can't fix. And I'd guess that the software that's deciding what the correct fit is supposed to be is not quite an exact science...

I'm sure that like everything else there are some legit faulty pairs of AirPods Pro out there (my first pair had a problem connecting to Bluetooth), but I think there's also something else going on. Probably software / firmware.

carlosnunez.dfw

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
Welp, I'm glad I found this party. I have two sets of AirPods Pros. Right bud stopped "fitting" right on the first pair after about a week of use; backup pair was fine. No tips fixed it. The Ear Fit Tip test failed in my right ear eventually. Replaced the ear bud on the faulty pair; all was well afterwards...for about a week. However, because I've been using the backup pair more often to compensate, the backups started to exhibit the same issues.

Both of my AirPod Pros are unusable because of this now. No reports of this anywhere except here.

This is very frustrating.

John90976

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
SoCal
Just reposting from another thread in hopes that there is actually an apple engineer tasked with following this seemingly spreading issue of Airpods Pro failing. My fit test no longer works and ANC has honestly weakened, didn't feel like acknowledging that because the constant mic clicking switching from bud to bud has been driving me nuts on my particular pair. My right airpod pro about 2 weeks ago developed something akin to this, only in ANC or transparency modes. I took it to the Apple store and they ordered me a replacement right bud. A week has gone by, the new right bud is now waiting for me at the store, but now my left bud is doing this, the right one is now fine. I've traced it back the microphone, but I dont know how it got his way or how my right bud got fixed. This honestly sucks considering it took 2 weeks for these things to stop hurting my ears, now they break down.

mppn

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Montreal, QC, Canada
It kind of blows my mind that Apple didn't have the foresight to realize that creating a "Fit Test" function is kind of stupid. You have some customers who would have been perfectly happy with slightly ill-fitting AirPods indefinitely, except there's a software function that's telling them there's a problem they can't fix. And I'd guess that the software that's deciding what the correct fit is supposed to be is not quite an exact science...

I'm sure that like everything else there are some legit faulty pairs of AirPods Pro out there (my first pair had a problem connecting to Bluetooth), but I think there's also something else going on. Probably software / firmware.

In my case, it’s not the fit test that is the problem, it’s the sound that suddenly changes after 4-5 days, it’s as if one ear is under water when using transparency and even without any ANC/Transparency, I hear the thumping une one hear only. After a while of this, the fit test will ultimately fail every time. My first pair was ultimately doing this in both ears and was less noticeable because it was both, this second pair I have only have one ear doing it, so it’s a lot more noticeable.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Okay so true to his word the Apple engineer called me back and asked for the serial number of the AirPods, at the model number and the firmware upgrade number and also the serial number off my phone. He says there is a group set up to investigate these issues as they are known by Apple and he has said that he will come back to me and possibly request that I send my AirPods in to Apple for them to have a detailed look at and do some testing and analysis. He wanted to know if I would be happy with that. I said yes I would be provided that Apple send me a replacement pair to tide me over whilst Apple test and dissect my AirPods and he made a note of that.
I will keep you guys posted. In the meantime I shall start to use my AirPods in anticipation that they will fail on me in the next six or seven days ?

morsecp

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
Vermont, USA
Has anyone who is experiencing the failing fit test ever used the "Play Sound" feature of the "Find my..." app? I'm wondering because this feature plays a very loud sound from the AirPod Pro and perhaps this could be damaging them.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Mine fail the fit test on the right bud only but, the ANC and sound is consistently good. Since I bought mine at the beginning of the holiday exchange period I’m considering returning them. Then, I will wait and see if Apple addresses the issues before I repurchase.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Mine fail the fit test on the right bud only but, the ANC and sound is consistently good. Since I bought mine at the beginning of the holiday exchange period I’m considering returning them. Then, I will wait and see if Apple addresses the issues before I repurchase.

If the sound and ANC is consistently good, why would you return them? Because the useless little software gimmick failed? They never should have included this stupid thing.

vahdyx

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Thornton
Bought these eBay tips with memory foam and they finally stay in my ear much better however it now fails both fit tests lol. Where as the Apple one only fails my right ear which ironically is the one that keeps falling out with all three tips.

Being a mutant is challenging lol. Chances are I’ll end up with ear buds with a flange thing and give these to my wife or daughter.

jbryant705

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2011

We've heard about it big time here by numerous users as well as on Reddit. This is my second pair and on both I tested all 3 tips and all 3 gave a good seal initially, then after a week or so my right one fails. I also notice that when I only have one in and let transparency mode kick in my left seems to let in more sound and my right doesn't. And just to confirm it wasn't all in my head I had a coworker test and he could hear the difference as well. It seems like the pressure isn't stabilized in my right one. I also feel like sound quality has gone down slightly and ANC isn't working as good, but those 2 could be my imagination.
[automerge]1576258033[/automerge]
Welp, I'm glad I found this party. I have two sets of AirPods Pros. Right bud stopped "fitting" right on the first pair after about a week of use; backup pair was fine. No tips fixed it. The Ear Fit Tip test failed in my right ear eventually. Replaced the ear bud on the faulty pair; all was well afterwards...for about a week. However, because I've been using the backup pair more often to compensate, the backups started to exhibit the same issues.

Both of my AirPod Pros are unusable because of this now. No reports of this anywhere except here.

This is very frustrating.

There are plenty of reports on this on Reddit as well...
[automerge]1576258192[/automerge]
I'll also add that if I'm in a quiet room like my bedroom at night I can hear a faint white noise in both ears once the fit test starts failing. I remember hearing that in my first pair and thought it was just in my head and I would've noticed it on a new pair as well and just didn't when I got my first pair. Nope. With my second pair I never heard any white noise and I was looking out for it, yet now after having this second pair for a couple weeks I can hear it.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
If the sound and ANC is consistently good, why would you return them? Because the useless little software gimmick failed? They never should have included this stupid thing.
Agreed. I settled with large tip on right and medium on the left. Once properly adjusted on insertion it passes the fit test 100%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.