Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sft109

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
It’s not the tips I’m 100% sure of that. When I take my tips and put them on my wife’s pair it passes the test and I get tons of bass response. On my set the exact same tips fail the test and the bass is anemic. I’m certain it’s a hardware issue that likely has to do with the mics.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
It’s not the tips I’m 100% sure of that. When I take my tips and put them on my wife’s pair it passes the test and I get tons of bass response. On my set the exact same tips fail the test and the bass is anemic. I’m certain it’s a hardware issue that likely has to do with the mics.

could they be getting overpowered? I use mine in the subway and that’s the only place I can think that might be too loud. But I would think they would have thought of that

sft109

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
No this is just at home testing them back to back. I’m taking mine back to the Genius Bar tomorrow since return period has passed. This will be the 2nd pair I’ve had with an issue. My wife’s is fine.

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
... after the second exchange APPro worked well, there is now on one side again a unpleasant dull noise when walking/running: the "pass" test has failed since then. It's like I assumed some time ago:

Apple has apparently found a way to counteract the impact sound on the inward-facing microphone. If that fails, the footfall sounds (as in usual inEars) again audible, as in my exchanged. The seal test ("passtest" about settings, etc.) is then also negative, so an indication of the defect.

It is clearly a design flaw that affects the (error-prone) inward microphones. Please note - you hear it on the always negative "Pass" test (under Settings Bluetooth APPro ...) and the "rumbling" noise (so-called footfall - bone conduction) by the "inner ANC" yes (if they work) should be balanced.

Meanwhile (after a little more than 2 weeks) the other inward micro is also defective: step sound is transferred and the "pass"test fails ... After the second exchange airpods, I assume that it is a design-related error prone, which is common and only not noticeable to those who are accustomed to inEars step sound, Doing little / no sport with the APpro (then the bone-conduction transmission is even more detectible/annoying).

As already described, this can be verified by the "Pass"test, which always indicates a `defective seal` in the case of defective (inwardly directed) microphones that "pick up" for this test . Many people think that it is due to the silicone plugs, but in many cases it will be a hardware defect ...

The more that you try and give Apple feedback, the sooner they will tackle this constructional flaw.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I am just going to keep returning them to Apple until they get it right. When I called Apple support yesterday, i had to switch away from my AirPods and use my phone because they couldn’t hear what I was saying. I am having a lot of doubts about the build quality of the pro’s. My gen 1 and gen 2 AirPods were perfect. Never had a problem with them

smarcotte

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
I have written previously about my experience with the right AirPods sealing every time and the left ear not sealing at all. After swapping tips and replacing the AirPods themselves this has remained constant (left ear no and right ear yes). I have grown to accept this because I feel the AirPods themselves are an excellent and serve my purposes well. However, just in the past few days the right AirPods has been very inconsistent. I am beginning to think that the previous conversations regarding the tips themselves being deficient and the cause of the failure of the fit test has merit. I have order more replacement tips. I will be curious to see how those work. GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!

Update. I received the replacement tips and both ears failed to seal properly with the new tips.
I contacted Apple support. I explained the issue and the agent asked if I wanted to request the mail in option for replacements ( I don't live near an Apple store) so I did. The process was very quick and efficient.
This will be my second set of replacement AirPods pro. I hope these work.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
…yes – for a few weeks
Yep, based on my recurring experiences, I have no doubt they will fail after 8 to 10 days. I have no confidence in this product at the moment. I called Apple support this afternoon and asked if there was a threshold to the amount of times i could return them and they said as long as the AirPods are not physically damaged due to accidents or carelessness then i can keep returning them. As Apple prioritise replacements, I have half a mind to purchase another pair and return each pair on alternate weeks to ensure i always have AirPods.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Mine don’t pass the fit test either and I don’t get the foot fall or bone induction issue discussed here so how can you say it’s the microphones? The sound and ANC with mine is good and they seal fine.

Reactions: EdMan

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
It doesn’t feel like a fit issue. I don’t believe it’s the tips. It really feels like there is an issue with the mics but considering I’ve now tried three pairs and they’ve all failed then it’s either me or the airpods.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I think Apple would have prevented a lot of problems for themselves by not adding the fit test feature. We don’t need a fit test to know whether we have a good seal or not.

Reactions: EdMan and whsbuss

morsecp

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
Vermont, USA
Yep, based on my recurring experiences, I have no doubt they will fail after 8 to 10 days. I have no confidence in this product at the moment. I called Apple support this afternoon and asked if there was a threshold to the amount of times i could return them and they said as long as the AirPods are not physically damaged due to accidents or carelessness then i can keep returning them. As Apple prioritise replacements, I have half a mind to purchase another pair and return each pair on alternate weeks to ensure i always have AirPods.
FYI, you can request a DIY replacement. In this case, Apple will send you the replacement immediately and place a temporary hold on your credit card for the cost of the replacement. When you get the replacement you return the defective unit in the shipping box. When Apple receives the defective pair they release the hold on your CC. Nice because then you're never without your pods.

Last edited:

sft109

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
iOS 13.3 and no change. Genius Bar made me do a bunch of troubleshooting but no dice. Ordered replacement left and right which they will swap out. That will be my 3rd pair.

Funny thing is the store guy got a demo one from the floor to test out on my phone and that failed the test too. My wife’s which pass the seal test every time with the same exact tips are still good and have better sound with more bass. I don’t have a ton of confidence in this product.

I wonder if working out with them ( I sweat a lot) is causing the issue?

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
There must be many good ones. Old, new firmware, wireless charging and charging with lightning cable, updated to iOS 13.3.

During the last 5 weeks with daily use, they do continue to pass the fit test with a good seal. They fit better then AP Gen 1 or 2. ANC is working great.

Reactions: EdMan

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
FYI, you can request a DIY replacement. In this case, Apple will send you the replacement immediately and place a temporary hold on your credit card for the cost of the replacement. When you get the replacement you return the defective unit in the shipping box. When Apple receives the defective pair they release the hold on your CC. Nice because then you're never without your pods.
I did ask them about that and they told me they couldn’t do that and would only send the new AirPods out once the old ones had been returned which is strange because my S5 Ceramic was cosmetically damaged and Apple to,s he to keep it until the new one arrived
[automerge]1576048058[/automerge]
I have the issue and have never charged them wirelessly.
Me neither

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I'm sure there are others this is happening to but I tried Google to see if this is a widespread issue and no reports confirm any major issues with them to the degree you see on here. I think MacRumors users are a unique group.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I'm sure there are others this is happening to but I tried Google to see if this is a widespread issue and no reports confirm any major issues with them to the degree you see on here. I think MacRumors users are a unique group.
Not so sure about that as Reddit users have reported Seal test and NC issues. There is a wealth of information on there about people 'customising' their Pros to use additional foam inserts in the same fashion as reported on Macrumors

My 4th replacement set arrive tomorrow...I only logged the call two days ago. I am going down the foam route to see if I can resolve the NC problem. Not so bothered about the seal test. Just want to ensure I get a good seal for NC

Reactions: jbryant705
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.