Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
Just a heads up, Best Buy currently has them in stock online for free delivery by Wednesday, supposedly. You can't fully trust their stock system, but if it gets pushed back you can cancel the order.

Local BB didn't have any, phone rep didn't have any other info about stock expectations.

Reactions: Channan

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
Just a heads up, Best Buy currently has them in stock online for free delivery by Wednesday, supposedly. You can't fully trust their stock system, but if it gets pushed back you can cancel the order.

Local BB didn't have any, phone rep didn't have any other info about stock expectations.

Do you have a link? I still get February here. :(
I'll check my Bestbuy in a bit and report back.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
Do you have a link? I still get February here. :(
I'll check my Bestbuy in a bit and report back.

Yeah, sorry, apparently the current batch sold out literally a couple minutes after I placed my order. It was Wed delivery when I first saw it, got pushed to Th by the time I placed it, now it's saying Feb. for new orders.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Yeah, sorry, apparently the current batch sold out literally a couple minutes after I placed my order. It was Wed delivery when I first saw it, got pushed to Th by the time I placed it, now it's saying Feb. for new orders.

Report back and let us know if your delivery date holds.

Strange that my Best Buy order from last week still says Backorder with a delivery date of January 30. You would think they'd fill those orders first.

Reactions: AppleRobert

Steve Aviles

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
California
I just ordered through best buy online and initially got an Wednesday delivery date,

Now it says Thursday. Hope it holds for Thursday, I will update here if anything changes.

*Edit* Just went from "Processing" to "Preparing"

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
When I checked about an hour ago, it was February as well. I'm done playing the retail lottery this week. I might try next week one day when I'm off, otherwise it's Jan 12 for me.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Report back and let us know if your delivery date holds.

Strange that my Best Buy order from last week still says Backorder with a delivery date of January 30. You would think they'd fill those orders first.

My backordered Airpods from last week are no longer backordered and are now "Preparing." Supposed to arrive on the 21st. Cool!

Reactions: AppleRobert

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Maybe it is a regional things. My zip code still says February.

Why the heck would BB fulfill orders today and not the ones already ordered beforehand is beyond me.

Reactions: tekchic

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Maybe it is a regional things. My zip code still says February.

Why the heck would BB fulfill orders today and not the ones already ordered beforehand is beyond me.

Looks like BB was just a little slow to update the status of the backorders. Status has updated now.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Looks like BB was just a little slow to update the status of the backorders. Status has updated now.

Mine still says processing and did not change to preparing but above that it says get it by December 21st so we'll see.

Glad I started this thread for feedback. I could have driven to an Apple Store this morning but it is a half hour away and with morning work traffic, even worse so I did not bother.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Mine still says processing and did not change to preparing but above that it says get it by December 21st so we'll see.

Glad I started this thread for feedback. I could have driven to an Apple Store this morning but it is a half hour away and with morning work traffic, even worse so I did not bother.

I think that's a good sign. My order status used to say Backordered. So any change from that is a positive.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Mine just switched to "preparing", date says Dec 21st and fine by me since originally it was January 12th. Yippie. :)

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Mine just switched to "preparing", date says Dec 21st and fine by me since originally it was January 12th. Yippie. :)

Edit: Oops, you are BB order. I thought it was apple.com. Forgot what thread I was in. :)

Last edited:

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Local Best Buy (Los Angeles) said they're half expecting a truck today, but aren't sure.

Two Apple stores I went to were well out at 10am, stupid me was unaware of the whole 8am deal for the holidays.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Local Best Buy (Los Angeles) said they're half expecting a truck today, but aren't sure.

Two Apple stores I went to were well out at 10am, stupid me was unaware of the whole 8am deal for the holidays.

Well now I think BB is processing orders from the website for reservations before any stores will be getting them.

A crapshoot at Apple IMHO, I ordered on their website the day they went available and got a shipping date and folks now go to a store and just get them beforehand. Doesn't Apple realize how freaking stupid that is???

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
A crapshoot at Apple IMHO, I ordered on their website the day they went available and got a shipping date and folks now go to a store and just get them beforehand. Doesn't Apple realize how freaking stupid that is???

It's a lose/lose though. Some people order online because an Apple store is too far away, while for others it's close by. Why should those that work/live near a store not be able to buy them just because others ordered online?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
It's a lose/lose though. Some people order online because an Apple store is too far away, while for others it's close by. Why should those that work/live near a store not be able to buy them just because others ordered online?

To me ordering online is like reserving them to tell the truth for when they become available, at least that is my thoughts on the matter.

Seems to be that is the way it is currently working with BB. FedEx truck came a little while ago to my local store, no airpods.

Last edited:

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
To me ordering online is like reserving them to tell the truth for when they become available, at least that is my thoughts on the matter.

Seems to be that is the way it is currently working with BB. FedEx truck came a little while ago to my local store, no airpods.

Makes sense, and I'm not arguing one way or the other, but any retailer also wants you to visit their store with the hope you'll buy more than just the product you wanted. Heck, I went to Best Buy over lunch to see if they had Airpods and walked out with a video game :).

I like the fact that the break it up. People won't and shouldn't schedule there lives around a pre-order, so if you miss the on-line time, you always have a chance to grab them in store.

Awfisch

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2011
I just talked to Best Buy and they told me that whenever Apple releases a new product, the stores usually don't receive them until ~2 weeks after they are notified they are coming. I called the 10 Best Buy stores in my area and none of them have heard anything, so it's unlikely they'll be receiving any AirPods in the next week.

We'll see though!

(This is my attempt at adding value to the MacRumors community that is filled with complaints about people filling the forums with things that aren't worth saying.)
[doublepost=1482179310][/doublepost]

This burned me as well. Apple Maps told me 8a, but Apple.com said 10a. I trusted the website and was sadly let down when I arrived at the store at 9:30a

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.