Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaska121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2015
Could you explain more? I’m not familiar with this at all. How does it work?

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
This works in high Sierra already

No, you can only switch manually in High Sierra and iOS 11. I have iOS 12 on my iPad and iPhone and Mojave on my MBP and it doesn't work at all.
It took them long enough to make Personal Hotspot, AirDrop and Continuity work kinda sorta consistently, so this will probably work intermittently in the coming months.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
im sad. this works perfekt with Bose qc35 but nut with the AirPods :(
Up to three devices that you pre-pair with, yes, but not automatically with all devices logged into an iCloud account.
I have more than three Apple devices which could switch automatically but they don't.
I also have the QC IIs so I know they work like any other Bluetooth device that is paired with more than one audio source.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I was disappointed when I got my AirPods because even my older Sony Bluetooth earphones could do it (up to three devices)

You’re mixing up auto switching with stored pairings. I’ve got 6 non-W1 chip devices that the AirPods have stored pairs for, and then I’ve got my MacBook, iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. AirPod will connect automatically to the last device used, unless it’s not in range.

It wil automatically swap between iOS devices, as well as the watch, automatically when audio plays (tho this can be skittish between iPad and iPhone).

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I was having a lot of problems with my AirPods automaticatically switching to my iPhone X from the Apple Watch or MacBook. Then I discovered that the Tile app was my problem. Apparently there are a limited number of Bluetooth connections. I don’t know how many calls I had to dial again because of this.

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
I like the Tile's but their app has caused me problems with my AirPods and my car stereo so many times that I uninstalled it and will probably never use it again. During WWDC I remember Tile being mentioned and was thinking its too bad the app causes so many problems.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I like the Tile's but their app has caused me problems with my AirPods and my car stereo so many times that I uninstalled it and will probably never use it again. During WWDC I remember Tile being mentioned and was thinking its too bad the app causes so many problems.

I still use Tile but I moved the app to my iPad.

odoy

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2015
Germany
Up to three devices that you pre-pair with, yes, but not automatically with all devices logged into an iCloud account.
I have more than three Apple devices which could switch automatically but they don't.
I also have the QC IIs so I know they work like any other Bluetooth device that is paired with more than one audio source.

with qc35 you can listen to any audio source on your iOS device. when you start for example a youtube video or a call on a neighbourly Mac the headphone switch automatically and when you close the window, you listen to the iOS source agin.
without w1 and iCloud magic. it just works

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
with qc35 you can listen to any audio source on your iOS device. when you start for example a youtube video or a call on a neighbourly Mac the headphone switch automatically and when you close the window, you listen to the iOS source agin.
without w1 and iCloud magic. it just works
I know it does, but all those devices have to be paired through a regular pairing process.
They are not all automatically synced to your iCloud account without the need for pairing, which is my point here.

WishIWasHere

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
To be fair, the OP didn't make any claims about anything. He just linked to something else and asked if anybody knew anything about it, and even admitted that he was not familiar with it. The wrong/lying blame lies with the Chris Maddern guy whose Twitter link was shared. Not that anybody is likely that worried about it, just sayin'

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I know it does, but all those devices have to be paired through a regular pairing process.
They are not all automatically synced to your iCloud account without the need for pairing, which is my point here.

Plus, I believe that they’re limited to 2 devices for simultaneous connection

Edit - to correct the word Plus being split by the quote

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.