Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Is anyone finding piss poor battery life from the buds?

The base or the container holds charge very well. I've managed to charge the buds up to full at least 5 times since charging the base to full.

But the AirPods themselves are bad.

Its dropping per minute and I'm at 1.5hrs of playback and its at 40%!!!

At this rate I'd be surprised to hit 2.5hrs even.

Sure its charges magically fast in the case but does it seems a bit weird when apple quotes 5hrs at least from the buds?

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I haven't used them for extended periods of time except when I sleep, in which case they're obviously dead by the time I wake up, but the 5 hour rating Apple gave was for songs purchased from iTunes and played at 50% volume. Just something to keep in mind.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Been listening to Podcasts on my right ear since about 7am, 70% remaining at 8:36am.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
well mine dropped 19% in the hour i was in the gym yesterday so on par with what apple have said.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Ok so could be volume.

Cause mine is probably at 70% not 50%

Ok I'm going to test it out tomorrow.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ok so could be volume.

Cause mine is probably at 70% not 50%

Ok I'm going to test it out tomorrow.
Not sure why volume should matter though. When mine dropped 19% yesterday in the gym the volume was on pretty much 90-100%

Going gym now so will test how it compares a day later

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Not sure why volume should matter though. When mine dropped 19% yesterday in the gym the volume was on pretty much 90-100%

Going gym now so will test how it compares a day later
I don't think it's going to make the massive difference the OP is having in battery life.

Side note, how in the hell can you possibly have them at 100% in your ears? I'd be doubled over in pain.

Reactions: Channan

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don't think it's going to make the massive difference the OP is having in battery life.

Side note, how in the hell can you possibly have them at 100% in your ears? I'd be doubled over in pain.
I like it loud when in the gym and it's not exactly too loud even at 100% so it's not like big headphones for example. The sound is just about right for gym workouts.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I like it loud when in the gym and it's not exactly too loud even at 100% so it's not like big headphones for example. The sound is just about right for gym workouts.
Hmmm, maybe I'm just not in places with a ton of background noise to work through.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008

Anything over about 70% (for AirPods; a bit lower than that for regular EarPods) for more than a few minutes per day will lead to permanent hearing loss within a short number of years.

Have fun with that!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Anything over about 70% (for AirPods; a bit lower than that for regular EarPods) for more than a few minutes per day will lead to permanent hearing loss within a short number of years.

Have fun with that!
It's far more likely for people who use far more powerful headphones to losing their hearing than me. The sound on these things aren't anywhere near powerful enough to have a loss of hearing. So that is clearly a made up stat from yourself.

So clearly the people who want more sound from their headphones seeing as some here are moaning about the sound are in FAR bigger risk than I will ever be.

My hearing is pretty much perfect but thanks for your concern

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
It's far more likely for people who use far more powerful headphones to losing their hearing than me. The sound on these things aren't anywhere near powerful enough to have a loss of hearing. So that is clearly a made up stat from yourself.

So clearly the people who want more sound from their headphones seeing as some here are moaning about the sound are in FAR bigger risk than I will ever be.

I have several "powerful" headphones (HD650 + amps) and do extensive headphone listening (as well as playing music out of amplifiers), always within strict volume limits, and have demoed AirPods for long enough to know what volume should correspond to permanent hearing loss. About 70% (maybe about 60% on regular EarPods) will lead to hearing loss if listened to for extended periods of time consistently over several months.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have several headphones and do extensive headphone listening, always within strict volume limits, and have demoed AirPods for long enough to know what volume should correspond to permanent hearing loss. About 70% (maybe about 60% on regular EarPods) will lead to hearing loss if listened to for extended periods of time consistently over several months.
Look i'm not saying i listen to music 90-100% all the time. Hell alot of my gym workouts i listen to podcasts at maybe 50-60% as they don't require massive sound.

So it's not like i'm listen to music full blast for hours on end. It varies depending on the situation. i bet I only listen to music 2-3 hours a day max. some days 1 hour or less.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I can imagine that more volume means the amps in the earbuds have to work harder which might decrease the battery life. I'm not sure though if all Apple devices today have the same overall output level anymore. Back in the iPod days the devices in the EU had a lower maximum output regulated via firmware. The same might still apply today.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I have several headphones and do extensive headphone listening, always within strict volume limits, and have demoed AirPods for long enough to know what volume should correspond to permanent hearing loss. About 70% (maybe about 60% on regular EarPods) will lead to hearing loss if listened to for extended periods of time consistently over several months.
Look i'm not saying i listen to music 90-100% all the time. Hell alot of my gym workouts i listen to podcasts at maybe 50-60% as they don't require massive sound.

So it's not like i'm listen to music full blast for hours on end. It varies depending on the situation. i bet I only listen to music 2-3 hours a day max. some days 1 hour or less.

I would never waste my time trying to convince you or anyone otherwise, but I figured I would give you a fair warning. More than a few seconds at 90% puts you well beyond the point of being at risk for permanent hearing loss if you engage in that behavior more than once a week.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I would never waste my time trying to convince you or anyone otherwise, but I figured I would give you a fair warning. More than a few seconds at 90% puts you well beyond the point of being at risk for permanent hearing loss if you engage in that behavior more than once a week.
It's amazing to me how many youngsters these days really think that their hearing is going to be there for them in their older years when music is blasted the way it is.

I'm 25, but I've always had a physically painful reaction to loud sounds so I've either already got hearing damage or I'm just extra sensitive. I want to be able to hear the world when I'm 60+, most of my friends are sadly not going to be able to just for that silly "bump" you get from blasting the bass.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
If both AirPods are draining at the same rate then it can't be battery

What are the chances of both batteries being bum?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

What if 90% volume does not equate to loud music? All headphone/earbuds vary with sensivity, ohms and power needed to drive them. I have some at 50% that is plenty loud enough, others need to go to 90% just to get to that volume.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace

People should just let people enjoy things how they want to without the lecture.

If dude wants to enjoy his music at max volume at the gym more than once a week why should it be your concern? Does it detract from your enjoyment? While your argument is valid, aside from personally policing him why should it bother you? People are gonna do what they want even if nagged not to. Hell, you would have been fine and probably would have not chimed in were it not for the volume level comment.

Reactions: Mr.C

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
People should just let people enjoy things how they want to without the lecture.

If dude wants to enjoy his music at max volume at the gym more than once a week why should it be your concern? Does it detract from your enjoyment? While your argument is valid, aside from personally policing him why should it bother you? People are gonna do what they want even if nagged not to. Hell, you would have been fine and probably would have not chimed in were it not for the volume level comment.

As I said, I don't care enough to convince them to reverse their hearing damage. It was just a warning that, 100%, without a doubt, would have changed their life should they decide to heed it.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
What if 90% volume does not equate to loud music? All headphone/earbuds vary with sensivity, ohms and power needed to drive them. I have some at 50% that is plenty loud enough, others need to go to 90% just to get to that volume.

Please read the past comments carefully.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Please read the past comments carefully.

He already said at 100% volume it is not as loud and would never damage his hearing like other headphones he has so ...

Why your experience differs from his with the airpods with comparisons versus other headphones for volume I need more info.

Btw, my HD558 need lots of power/volume to drive them.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It's amazing to me how many youngsters these days really think that their hearing is going to be there for them in their older years when music is blasted the way it is.

I'm 25, but I've always had a physically painful reaction to loud sounds so I've either already got hearing damage or I'm just extra sensitive. I want to be able to hear the world when I'm 60+, most of my friends are sadly not going to be able to just for that silly "bump" you get from blasting the bass.

I'm flattered but I'm 30 soon to be 31 and my hearing is fine and I've listened to the music the same way for 15 years so I don't need to worry about my hearing

As I said the people who want the air pods a lot louder than this are in far greater risk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.