Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
took the case off my wall charger this am...got to work and took one of them out to use...both ear pods were only at 97% and the case was at 93%....
getting strange numbers considering this was on the wall charger over night...

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
took the case off my wall charger this am...got to work and took one of them out to use...both ear pods were only at 97% and the case was at 93%....
getting strange numbers considering this was on the wall charger over night...
Dunno if Apple changed this behavior in the chips of their chargers to prevent overheating, but you dont wanna have batteries constantly at 100% for too long so Apple could be trickling down the charge a bit to keep cells active and happy? I could be wrong there.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm flattered but I'm 30 soon to be 31 and my hearing is fine and I've listened to the music the same way for 15 years so I don't need to worry about my hearing

As I said the people who want the air pods a lot louder than this are in far greater risk
You're eardrums are not as tough as you think. Progressive hearing loss is a very common thing. All we're saying is be careful, you can't buy the ability to hear once it's gone.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You're eardrums are not as tough as you think. Progressive hearing loss is a very common thing. All we're saying is be careful, you can't buy the ability to hear once it's gone.

And I appreciate that people do care about others on here. I think it's important to know your limits. People can suffer loss of hearing even if they don't listen to music. It's never simple cause to why you're hearing goes.

As I said I don't listen to music loads each day and I certainly don't think air pods sound at about 90% will damage them enough. Other headphones? Sure

I could lose my hearing at 50-60 sure but people who listen to music a lot louder could be perfectly fine. I don't think it's as simple as people think

I'm sure those who are complaining about the sound on the air pods aren't concerned with their long term hearing

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
Dunno if Apple changed this behavior in the chips of their chargers to prevent overheating, but you dont wanna have batteries constantly at 100% for too long so Apple could be trickling down the charge a bit to keep cells active and happy? I could be wrong there.

if that were the case how come all the other items we have from apple does not have the same behavior...i get your theory just saying - they should be reading 100 not 97 and 93 on the case.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I would never waste my time trying to convince you or anyone otherwise, but I figured I would give you a fair warning. More than a few seconds at 90% puts you well beyond the point of being at risk for permanent hearing loss if you engage in that behavior more than once a week.

I appreciate that you care about others but I do know my limits in terms of music sound and I certainly would to listen at sound I would call too loud. I also wouldn't consider air pods sound at 90% damaging. If it started to feel that way I would turn them down.

More often than not it's at around 50-60% on general usage

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I'd say I get about 4 hours out of them before they die completely. I don't have them super loud, I'd say about 60-70% volume.

I'm impressed with the case though, pop them in there while I do something else, run an errand or whatever and they're charged back to 100% by the time I go to use them.

For me the battery life is not a concern at all.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'd say I get about 4 hours out of them before they die completely. I don't have them super loud, I'd say about 60-70% volume.

I'm impressed with the case though, pop them in there while I do something else, run an errand or whatever and they're charged back to 100% by the time I go to use them.

For me the battery life is not a concern at all.

Fine but me, the gear icon X nor the sol republic amps air I tried don't get that battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.