Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asuandy

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This article? http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a22747/apple-airpods-are-bad-design/

To be honest, I have my AirPods coming Monday and I am getting slight buyers remorse and I haven't even used it. I know it is silly as I could just return them if I don't like it. I suddenly started even looking at the Powerbeats 3 today, which is crazy, but is that just because I know I can't have the Beats-X...

I guess it is the con's of having no wires against the pro's, versus just having that single wire like Bose Sport Wireless, PB3, Beats X et al.

I am not sure how I feel about being forced to use my phone/watch for music controls as I sure as hell won't be using Siri, even if it worked flawlessly, the delay and pausing of music just to increase/decrease volume or change track is just too cumbersome.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the author of the linked article used to write for Gizmodo or another similar publication? He was always hyper-critical and hyperbolic in his "review" of products. The reviews I've seen floating around on these have been generally favorable. Can't wait for mine to come!

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I am one of those lucky enough to be getting mine on Monday (and with 10% student discount at that), but I am tempted if John lewis or Currys offer these next week, to buy from them, as they usually allow you to purchase relatively cheap accidental cover.

(My current wireless earphones have been replaced at Curry's 3 times in last 2.5 years! The pair was £150 so it was money well spent on it).

How did you get a student discount? I tried using the student site and I contacted the customer service and they said they don't offer student or military discount on AirPods.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
How did you get a student discount? I tried using the student site and I contacted the customer service and they said they don't offer student or military discount on AirPods.

This was on the UK education store. Not sure if other countries have it. I got mine for £142 instead of £159, others managed to do the same.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I'm really intrigued by the AirPods but haven't ordered a pair yet. The more detailed reviews which are coming out now have certainly clarified a few things - sound quality is the same as EarPods and the fit seems to be better/more secure due to the lack of wires dragging on them. Those were the two main concerns I had with them as I use the wired EarPods a lot when working, both for audio calls (where I think they're really great) and podcasts/music where I think they're not very good - although I think that's down to their fit as much as anything.

I suspect curiosity will get the better of me and I'll pick up a pair to try when they're available in-store, but I can't see them replacing my Powerbeats 3 for exercising with.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I'm really intrigued by the AirPods but haven't ordered a pair yet. The more detailed reviews which are coming out now have certainly clarified a few things - sound quality is the same as EarPods and the fit seems to be better/more secure due to the lack of wires dragging on them. Those were the two main concerns I had with them as I use the wired EarPods a lot when working, both for audio calls (where I think they're really great) and podcasts/music where I think they're not very good - although I think that's down to their fit as much as anything.

I suspect curiosity will get the better of me and I'll pick up a pair to try when they're available in-store, but I can't see them replacing my Powerbeats 3 for exercising with.

I feel like I've read more reviews saying they sound better than EarPods versus the same.

I'm going to try them at the gym but I fear sweat could ruin them. I just picked up a pair of Sony XB50BS's for my workouts and so far they are really awesome.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I don't think I've read one yet which says the sound quality is any better than EarPods. Suggestion seems to be that the audio hardware in them is the same but that the better fit maybe helps with clarity.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I don't think I've read one yet which says the sound quality is any better than EarPods. Suggestion seems to be that the audio hardware in them is the same but that the better fit maybe helps with clarity.

I know that most audiophiles hate Bluetooth audio and, perhaps, hate EarPods even more, but I loved the sound. It was balanced, meaning I heard the audio in the center of my head, and it was rich and nuanced. At the end of the song "Motherboard" from Daft Punk’s Random Access Memory album, there’s just the sound of running water, which, on the AirPods, sounded as if I was witnessing a stream babbling by right in front of me. Similarly, the bongos on K.I.M. - B.T.T.T.T.R.Y (Bag Raiders Remix) sounded like they were being played just a few feet away from me.
- Mashable

The sound quality is very solid. Nice thumpy bass and crisp highs produce a very listenable sound, though it’s far from audiophile quality. These are very good and very loud earbuds that produce sound quality right in line with their $160 price. Because the seal (on my ear anyway) is so firm, and there are no cords to tug them around, they cancel outside noise very well (though there is no official noise cancellation functionality).
- TechCrunch

Superior sound stage and bass compared to EarPods - Reddit Thread

Reactions: 480951 and ascender

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Now I've read two ;)

I'd still put money on them having identical speakers - if I hold the EarPods in to my ears, the sound quality is very good and clear, but they just don't stay in very well!

Audio quality is very subjective and I suspect this is just wishful thinking, but am happy to be proved wrong!

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Now I've read two ;)

I'd still put money on them having identical speakers - if I hold the EarPods in to my ears, the sound quality is very good and clear, but they just don't stay in very well!

I have no idea what to expect really. I'm due to receive mine on Wednesday. I'll decide then. I'm honestly more concerned with how they'll handle my sweat at the gym versus what they'll sound like.

FYI to anyone looking to workout with their AirPods, I ordered these last night.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
This was on the UK education store. Not sure if other countries have it. I got mine for £142 instead of £159, others managed to do the same.

It used to be £142 but it's £159 now on Edu store

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Wow that was a very positive unboxing/first look. I'm really looking forward to getting mine hopefully before 12/29!
Will find our for myself on monday. Will try and do my first ever youtube video unboxing it if i can.

Reactions: edlex

c.leonard66h

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2015
Anyone in UK with Monday for delivery. Have you moved to Preparing to Dispatch yet, I'm still processing.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Anyone in UK with Monday for delivery. Have you moved to Preparing to Dispatch yet, I'm still processing.
Still processing, I expect them to start moving tomorrow or Saturday and be sent from within the UK.

Now, if it is sent by DPD tomorrow, I wonder if I can do their pay to upgrade to Saturday delivery thing... :eek:

Reactions: c.leonard66h

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Does anyone know the range of the wifi on the airpods? I thought I remember that is it is pretty far according to the keynote.

I am really torn about getting the airpods even I have a pair arriving next week.

I bought the Jabra Elite Airs and I have admit that they are awesome... the connection is good and I have never heard a complaint when I am talking to someone on the phone. My only issue is the 3 hour battery life (plus 6 hours from the charging case).

The battery life on the airpods is so much better.. but I need them to be good for working out as well.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Does anyone know the range of the wifi on the airpods? I thought I remember that is it is pretty far according to the keynote.

I am really torn about getting the airpods even I have a pair arriving next week.

I bought the Jabra Elite Airs and I have admit that they are awesome... the connection is good and I have never heard a complaint when I am talking to someone on the phone. My only issue is the 3 hour battery life (plus 6 hours from the charging case).

The battery life on the airpods is so much better.. but I need them to be good for working out as well.
It uses Bluetooth to connect so should have the same range as Bluetooth devices in general, which in my experience at least has been further than I've ever needed! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.