Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
New York
The convenience and technology are awesome. The ease of pairing is nice, the feel in the ear is great, it's not tight and doesn't feel anything less than secure.

Things that suck:
The audio quality is terrible. I normally use a Bose IE2 (and have used this series for a while) and they blow away the Air Pods in range of sound and low end depth.
Taking between 2 - 6 seconds for things like skipping a song or adjusting the volume
The double tap Siri response time

If they stay they are going to be for ease of use when handling audio calls from multiple sources, I think they are priced above that role so I"m not sure if I'm keeping them.

Reactions: AppleWarMachine

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The convenience and technology are awesome. The ease of pairing is nice, the feel in the ear is great, it's not tight and doesn't feel anything less than secure.

Things that suck:
The audio quality is terrible. I normally use a Bose IE2 (and have used this series for a while) and they blow away the Air Pods in range of sound and low end depth.
Taking between 2 - 6 seconds for things like skipping a song or adjusting the volume

If they stay they are going to be for ease of use when handling audio calls from multiple sources, I think they are priced above that role so I"m not sure if I'm keeping them.

Thanks for your take on These. I definitely think Apple can improve on the the time response between songs and Siri response to volume. That would annoy me as well.

I would say the consensus seems be fairly positive for the sound quality. But I think it's obvious the Airpods cannot compete with your Bose E2.

I wonder what Apple does with these when returned?

But I think your criticisms seem valid. Mine will be here next week.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Got mine today. Love them so far. Audio quality is very good maybe not Bose quality but they were 159 bucks too. I'm totally satisfied with my purchase. They deliver what  promised.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Got mine today. Love them so far. Audio quality is very good maybe not Bose quality but they were 159 bucks too. I'm totally satisfied with my purchase. They deliver what  promised.

You feel the audio quality is better than the EarPods?

Time will tell how the Airpods stack up with wireless earbuds like Jaybirds. I got those for $79.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For me, The only stupid thing about the Airpods is the lack of direct control of tracks and volume. Using Siri to do these stuff is ridiculously dumb. I don't know what Apple is thinking

You do also have the option of using the iPhone to control This. Apple hopefully will expand on Touch or tap features on the Airpods in the future.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
For me, The only stupid thing about the Airpods is the lack of direct control of tracks and volume. Using Siri to do these stuff is ridiculously dumb. I don't know what Apple is thinking

Well Samsung got that right with the icon X but unfortunately not the battery life. And the sound quality on theirs is exquisite so another downer for the Airpods if they just match the EarPods.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
For me the key function is audio calls, all feedback thus far is the cancellation of background noise is excellent. I would like to be able to more easily control the volume or muting/un-muting myself but overall I'm satisfied.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You can't really compare earbuds/airpods type sound with big headphones. Those headphones are always going to be louder but the sound on the air pods is more than good enough for what people are likely to use it for.

for gym and just going to work the sound is good. Maybe for other things like walking around the house or certain places beats solo3 will be what i will use when i get them. I think there is room for more than just one set of wireless headphones

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
New York
For me the key function is audio calls, all feedback thus far is the cancellation of background noise is excellent. I would like to be able to more easily control the volume or muting/un-muting myself but overall I'm satisfied.

I agree, they are great for calls, actually amazing, this whole auto sensing stuff is great.

For music audio quality I'm not sure what they are going for here in the price range, they are priced more expensive than better sounding headsets. I'm going to checkout the Bose SoundSport ($149 bluetooth) and see which trade off I like better.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think what they are thinking was people will either use their phone or apple watch.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I agree, they are great for calls, actually amazing, this whole auto sensing stuff is great.

For music audio quality I'm not sure what they are going for here in the price range, they are priced more expensive than better sounding headsets. I'm going to checkout the Bose SoundSport ($149 bluetooth) and see which trade off I like better.

Perhaps Apple can expand on the sound. But I think Apple wanted to expand on the Bluetooth horizon with the W1 Chip, which seems to be the anchor. I don't believe Apple Was aiming for Bose quality sound, more so the Convenience of battery life and portability with the case.

Reactions: AppleRobert

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Also i would argue like with solo3 they are priced at £240...so surely people can't expect sound to be on that level for something thats just under £100 cheaper.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland

I'd pretty much go along with this view. Whilst I can understand Apple wanting to push Siri use, the simplicity of the inline remote needed to be replicated in the Airpods for them to be a complete success. I've been playing with mine for an hour or so and love the wire-free experience, the fit it great and the connectivity superb. Just miss having some way to change volume/skip track when the phone is out of reach, as Siri just isn't slick enough.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'd pretty much go along with this view. Whilst I can understand Apple wanting to push Siri use, the simplicity of the inline remote needed to be replicated in the Airpods for them to be a complete success. I've been playing with mine for an hour or so and love the wire-free experience, the fit it great and the connectivity superb. Just miss having some way to change volume/skip track when the phone is out of reach, as Siri just isn't slick enough.

Perhaps a software update or utilizing a touch or tap feature would be useful.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I've just been playing, and I'm sure a swipe up/down could have been used for volume. Given they pause if you pull one out, a single tap could have skipped a track and a double tap open Siri. Not sure how they'd do that with a software update though, or at least not the swipe bit?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've just been playing, and I'm sure a swipe up/down could have been used for volume. Given they pause if you pull one out, a single tap could have skipped a track and a double tap open Siri. Not sure how they'd do that with a software update though, or at least not the swipe bit?

It was just a thought if a software update could potentially be implemented. I would like to see Touch features in the future.

Der Keyser

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2016

Things that suck:

Just to add a few nuances to the "audio quality is terrible.." statement: Audio quality is a VERY subjective thing, and doing a comparison is almost pointless unless one describes ones preferences. I haven't heard the airpods so this is not a defence of the way they sound. Generally Apple has gone for fairly "neutral" sounding earphones in past generations and I would image these are just that - "neutral".
You are a Bose guy and if there ever was a hi-end brand that doesn't do "neutral" it's Bose. They have a VERY "doctored" sound that's very much adjusted to clarity and a deep and powerfull - but nu muddy bass. Many people loves that sound - like i say, it's subjective - but i assure you, lots of people would strongly disagree with your statement based alone on you using Bose as a reference :)
No offense, it's just - every one has their own taste :)

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
You do also have the option of using the iPhone to control This. Apple hopefully will expand on Touch or tap features on the Airpods in the future.

I think using the phone should be the last resort. The point of using a bluetooth headphones is to avoid the wire and taking the phone out right?

Next year they will introduce an updated version with touch control of volume and tracks and call it Airpods 2 ugh

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013

Definitely a software update can fix this. But who knows.. Maybe Apple "reserve" this for future Airpods

andy.ringwood

Suspended
Nov 20, 2016
For those who have an AW you can change a setting which always brings up the last app you were using. Open Music and then it's only a flick of the wrist away.

Apple need to add a Now Playing Complication though!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think using the phone should be the last resort. The point of using a bluetooth headphones is to avoid the wire and taking the phone out right?

Next year they will introduce an updated version with touch control of volume and tracks and call it Airpods 2 ugh

Perhaps not a last resort, but certainly not a first option to use iPhone to control the volume. I think using the iPhone is still an option, but the real damage is the freedom of using wired earbuds.

Any case, I would certainly like to see them advance with touch controls or some form of in-line control other than using Siri. I do agree Siri would not always be convenient.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
New York
Just to add a few nuances to the "audio quality is terrible.." statement: Audio quality is a VERY subjective thing, and doing a comparison is almost pointless unless one describes ones preferences. I haven't heard the airpods so this is not a defence of the way they sound. Generally Apple has gone for fairly "neutral" sounding earphones in past generations and I would image these are just that - "neutral".
You are a Bose guy and if there ever was a hi-end brand that doesn't do "neutral" it's Bose. They have a VERY "doctored" sound that's very much adjusted to clarity and a deep and powerfull - but nu muddy bass. Many people loves that sound - like i say, it's subjective - but i assure you, lots of people would strongly disagree with your statement based alone on you using Bose as a reference :)
No offense, it's just - every one has their own taste :)

I think your description of the Bose sound is pretty accurate, the Air Pods produce sound that's quite neutral, with mids to lows represented but not really felt or indulged. To me, there's a distinct drop off in range between the IE2 & Air Pods. I think both the Bose & Air Pods leave a bit to be desired towards the higher end of the spectrum.

I listen to all sorts or genres, from classical to hip hop, I'd say the majority of my time listening to music is spent listening to bands like the RHCP or 30 Seances to Mars. Music probably plays around me for 75% of my waking hours, sometimes I plug in and other times it's through speakers.

I like to tweak my EQ on my Mac to hear really as much as I can in a way that makes the music feel powerful to me, I like to feel the thud of a bass drum or the resonating vibration after the slap of a bass guitar that rings out. I like when all these different sounds are subtle but represented equally in a way that reminds me of standing in a studio in front of a kit or a stack. I like how in my head I can pick out an instrument and follow it and hear it pretty well through the IE2, it's hard to do that with bass on the Air Pods.

I think there are better quality headphones than the Bose IE2 (and cheaper) but it was a trade off for me, for comfort and the ability to hear ambient sounds. The Air Pods maintain that but to my ear, at a lower quality.

I hope the Air Pods can find a home for audio call management, so far today they've been great in that regard. It's not the end of the world to swap headphones to answer a call, especially ones that are wireless, I'm just not sure if it's worth it. (talk about 1st world problems! lol!)

I hope they can license the W1 to Bose and they can come up with an IE3 but with the Beats in the picture I really doubt it.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I still think people need to understand their use case. If I am sitting in my office, with the door open, I will likely use AirPods to listen to music and news briefs easily, and quickly remove one when someone walks in to talk. When around town, shopping, these will be perfect so your not completely isolated. I think when you are working around the house or even at the gym, these will be superior as well.

Now, when I'm on a flight, anywhere but especially overseas .... nothing will replace my Bose ... they are superior sound and much more comfortable ... they certainly are not "take anywhere" unless I want to look like a DJ all over the place.

Now if I'm in my office with the door closed and need to get work done and need to be completely isolated as well, well the Bose fit there as well ... I also have a pair of soundsport Bose for working out, jury is still out if the AirPods can serve this purpose well.

If it fits your use case, get them, they are great, if they don't ... then definitely go for higher quality in Bose.

For the record, I had a pair of Beats to try over Bose, and did not care for them one bit and quickly replaced with another pair of Bose.

Reactions: hufflematt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.