Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I understand this thread is old but my question is relevant for it.

What is the comprehensive decision on Charjen's Pro Active tips? It has been a little difficult keeping their "form" tips sealed.

I switched back to original apple tips for a while… then I bought the active tips. I have tried CharJen’s original and Form tips.

I have also tried Comply v. 1 and 2. And I got a full refund for them being so uncomfortable. The plastic frame poked in my ears a lot. The plastic was almost sticking out the foam.

I think Char Jen’s active is the best because they are very comfortable and seal well. It seems music is more clear with them. More than likely because they seal better than the other tips I’ve used, including CharJen’s other tips.

Unfortunately, Char Jen’s active tips are fairly expensive compared with the others.

However, I ordered the AirPods max today… I’ll have to compare both when the max arrives.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
I just had my AirPods Pro case begin to fail, with one AirPod not charging, and then the entire case not engaging at all. Turns out, the internal pins were damaged, most likely from the additional pressure of closing the case with the bulkier Comply tips installed.

Luckily, still under warranty, so they gave me a new case for $30. But I'm now worried about Complys long term.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I just had my AirPods Pro case begin to fail, with one AirPod not charging, and then the entire case not engaging at all. Turns out, the internal pins were damaged, most likely from the additional pressure of closing the case with the bulkier Comply tips installed.

Luckily, still under warranty, so they gave me a new case for $30. But I'm now worried about Complys long term.

I’ve taken a look at my Pros and I can’t imagine that any pressure on the point where the tips are could cause a problem with the pins.
Everything is possible, but it seems unlikely.

Reactions: The1andOnly

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
I’ve taken a look at my Pros and I can’t imagine that any pressure on the point where the tips are could cause a problem with the pins.
Everything is possible, but it seems unlikely.
I also took a look last night. Surely the Pros have to sit higher in the chamber since the extra thickness of the Comply stops the Pros dropping as far down the case?

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
I also took a look last night. Surely the Pros have to sit higher in the chamber since the extra thickness of the Comply stops the Pros dropping as far down the case?
I think that's it, and then the lid exerts a bit more pressure when it closes.

Noting I've been using the Complys for over year before I started noticing sporadic charging in one bud before the total failure to charge.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013

Coincidence wants that I received today my first set of Comply earbuds.
They are the Large sized one, but as far as I can tell they are no larger than the Large original buds.
On top of that, as carefully as I can observe I cannot notice any difference whatsoever in the way the case is closing.
Finally, because of the design of the charger case, the buds themselves are resting on solid plastic and any pressure on that point will not cause additional pressure on the Stem part of the AirPods (try it with a finger).
At worse, if a lot of pressure is applied it will cause the stem to move slightly laterally.
As I said, everything is possible but in this case, to me at least, it seems unlikely.

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Coincidence wants that I received today my first set of Comply earbuds.
They are the Large sized one, but as far as I can tell they are no larger than the Large original buds.
On top of that, as carefully as I can observe I cannot notice any difference whatsoever in the way the case is closing.
Finally, because of the design of the charger case, the buds themselves are resting on solid plastic and any pressure on that point will not cause additional pressure on the Stem part of the AirPods (try it with a finger).
At worse, if a lot of pressure is applied it will cause the stem to move slightly laterally.
As I said, everything is possible but in this case, to me at least, it seems unlikely.
I agree.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I had the Comply 1.0's since early on, and have the latest version now. I have exclusively used the largest size. My airpods and case have 0 damage from using the large.

I do have the issue where if I don't press down on the airpod prior to closing the lid, sometimes it doesn't make contact with the charging pins, and stays active (in fact it happened the last time I used them, and my L is dead right now).

No damage, and there is no way I would go back to the Apple earbuds, they don't block ambient noise like the Comply's do, and they start to slide out of my ears after about 15-20 minutes of use.

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Yes I also have the issue of not charging, sadly this seems to be due to dust etc building up. Although I see this as more of a design flaw of the AirPods case than the tips.

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2021
I didn’t realize Symbio now makes tips for APP (previously, you had to buy their tips, remove the foam from their silicone tip and put it into the APP silicone - a process described earlier in this thread). Anyone know whether in their complete solution the silicone is bonded to the foam?
I just got the Symbio for AirPods Pro today. The silicone is not bonded to the foam, which is probably a good thing. In the package I got, the placement of the foam was different on each tip. It honestly looks somewhat like they performed the same process of applying the foam to the OEM tips. I wound up turning the silicone inside out and readjusting the foam on the two I used.

So far I'm mostly happy with these tips. They fit perfectly in the case (used the Medium tips), so no problem there. The sound is great with ANC and with Transparency. I did a 12 mile workout with them in, both walking and running, and never had to readjust, never felt like they were falling out.

That's a massive improvement over the Apple's APP ear tips. While the OEM tips are generally pretty secure in my ears while walking (unless I'm really sweaty), they tend to come loose and sometimes fall out while running without constantly pressing them back in, particularly the right ear, regardless of which size I've tried. There was none of that with the Symbio tips.

What I didn't like is that I took the Symbio tips off and applied them again several times, because there doesn't seem to be an audible "click" when they snap securely to the AirPod like Apple's tips do. If there is, it's far more subtle than Apple's. I got them secured enough that they wouldn't come off with a decent tug and called it good. When I completed the workout, I took out the AirPods, and one of the tips stayed in my ear. I had to fish it out. Not at all fun. If that happens again, I'll probably switch back to Apple's tips and mod those with the foam from these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.