Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Don’t be so sure. These look quite big compared to Gen1/2. Very curious and on the fence about these. The pros are terribly uncomfortable to me and these look nearly identical minus the ear tips.

Good point! Will be interesting to see when they’re released.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
They were never going to have both noise cancellation (atleast adequate noise cancellation) whilst not having silicone cups/some way to seal the AirPods. I think they will sell out in the run up to Christmas.

The APP in ear tip design also bothers some of us immensely with hearing our own footsteps as we walk around.
I’m really happy they didn’t force that here

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
The APP in ear tip design also bothers some of us immensely with hearing our own footsteps as we walk around.
I’m really happy they didn’t force that here
Yeh I would never have bought them if they copied the APP design with the silicone ear cups.

The segmentation of the AirPods makes sense, you can choose between ANC and silicone cups or no ANC and no silicone cups. I'm surprised they didn't take this opportunity to jack the pricing way up, $179 is less than I thought they were going to charge.

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I would have made this thread if there wasn’t one as Amazon have the Pros for only £20 more than the Gen 3 AirPods, so it seems like a no brainier, but wanted some input too. As for those with comfort issues with the Pros, have you not tried different third party tips, like foam ones?

Reactions: sfrangu

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I would have made this thread if there wasn’t one as Amazon have the Pros for only £20 more than the Gen 3 AirPods, so it seems like a no brainier, but wanted some input too. As for those with comfort issues with the Pros, have you not tried different third party tips, like foam ones?
They will probably push the price up again when they start selling the MagSafe version of the Pro

cjrulli

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
How are the Gen1/2 Airpods with working out? Fall out of the ears often? I have an old pair of in-ear Bragi's I got off kickstarter that are in-ear with ANC but they do get uncomfortable. Debating going with the APP or Gen3 but worried Gen3's will fall out of my ears when exercising.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I may try the new 3rd generation AirPods to see if it can stay in my ears while I do my walk 4 block walk. Usually, the best any earbud except Bose is half a block and one or both fall out before I reach a half a block.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
so then if the airpod pros fit my ears well without issue the pro's are still better then gen 3?

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
They were never going to have both noise cancellation (atleast adequate noise cancellation) whilst not having silicone cups/some way to seal the AirPods. I think they will sell out in the run up to Christmas.
Actually I think the silent hit here will be the Gen2 at a super low 129…..that’s 70 less than 2 days ago.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
You can get third party sleeves for the pro that are foam instead of silicone if you are allergic to silicone.

The pros are still a step above the 3s in sound quality, noise cancellation and perhaps battery life.

rsnhakan

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2014
The Netherlands
So I also ordered the Airpods 3rd gen. Does anyone know if the Airpods Pro have the same call quality as the 3rd gen? Since Apple said that the new Airpods have improved facetime audio calls.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
Call quality is probably the same. The difference is in the sound quality in playback of music. The Pros are considerably better at that.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
Yes, better sound quality for music- particularly bass- because you have a tight seal with the pros. You also have noise cancelling, which gives you a wider signal to noise rating. You don't have to turn the volume up as high to hear everything. For everyday bumming around the regular AirPods are fine. For more serious listening on the go, the Pros are better. For really serious listening at home the Pro Maxes are great.

Neil Harrison

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
Yes, better sound quality for music- particularly bass- because you have a tight seal with the pros. You also have noise cancelling, which gives you a wider signal to noise rating. You don't have to turn the volume up as high to hear everything. For everyday bumming around the regular AirPods are fine. For more serious listening on the go, the Pros are better. For really serious listening at home the Pro Maxes are great.

Have you tried the Airpods 3 ?

Reactions: NARadyk

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
You can get third party sleeves for the pro that are foam instead of silicone if you are allergic to silicone.

The pros are still a step above the 3s in sound quality, noise cancellation and perhaps battery life.

Battery life on the Pro is lower then the 3rd Gen

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Actually I think the silent hit here will be the Gen2 at a super low 129…..that’s 70 less than 2 days ago.
Perhaps but I feel like the market has become saturated with AirPods. Virtually every iPhone user I know has them.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
Better seal = fuller bass and more up front presentation, noise cancellation = better signal to noise ratio. That means better sound quality. You don’t have to have them to know that. Apple has an ascending order of sound quality in the models- good, better, best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.