Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Hi everyone. I love my AirPods Pro and noticed a weird rattling on one ear bud, then both, and a screech if I put my finger near the earbud.

I contacted Apple to replace them under the repair programme. Dead easy so far. They sent me a box, I posted them. They repair and returned them. Super fast service. Well, until I noticed my prestige case was scratched and the L size eartips I sent were M.

- I contacted Apple support via chat, I emailed photos of before and after the case was sent, showing the damage. The agent who arranged a call back.
- No one called. I used the chat again and requested another call back.
- I got a call back at the wrong time.
- I spoke to a senior technicia who advised he will look into it. No need to explain, he has my case id. Advised me to explain the issue.
- I advise I just want a resolution, L size ear tips and a new case. Seems simple? After 20 mins, I get transferred to another senior technician without warning and have to explain everything again.
- I had to look after my son, so time was important. Well, the technician cut me off.
- I chatted again with Apple support, who advised they can’t do anything except schedule another call. I had to explain everything again, even though there was a case id. I also got a patronising, your a great Dad. I said please don’t do that. I want a resolutio, not some patronising message. Which was replied with ‘have a great day.’
- The next day I received a call, 1 hour early. I agent advised, I don’t need to explain everything and I won’t be put on hold. Have a guess what happened? I had to explain and was out on hold again.
- Well, this guy eventually advised he would replace the Airpods with brand new ones and TNT would contact me.
- TNT contacted me, advised to reply to the email with my address and other information. I did. Everyday for 7 days, until they confirmed collection. I did contact TNT who advised as it’s Apple the only contact method is the email provided.
- TNT didn’t collect.
- I ended up with 3 shipping labels that they sent. I was advised I need to print out each time and use the latest label.
- TNT finally collected. I received no contact from Apple about the replacement. I had to contact them.
- I arranged another call back and the agent gave me some generic replies and was treating my case like a repair. He couldnt find anything from the case ID. I advised I have an email from a senior technician advising use the case ID and once the replacement has shipped, I will receive an email. The technician advised I wouldn’t get an email and after 20 minutes of debating this, he agreed I should get an email, he could now find details from the case ID and the item has been shipped. Great! What’s the tracking number? He said for privacy he couldn’t give it to me (the customer).
- I told him the service has been disappointing so far, I feel let down by Apple.
- A few hours later I received an email from Apple and that the item has been shipped By UPS.
- Brilliant, they should arrive at my work place. Reception in on all day.
- Guess what? They arrive at my home address. Luckily, I am in to accept.

What a fiasco. Time from 1st contact to receiving the new set of earphones? 28 days.

I thought Apple had good customer service? I worked in technical support from helpline, premium help lines, to repairing products, and I am shocked at how bad the service is.

Thanks for reading :)

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Quite a runaround.
Regarding the tips, the instructions on the support for sending AirPods back clearly state to include the AirPods and charger case but not the tips. So you shouldn’t include the tips when you send AirPods off for repair

Reactions: honglong1976

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Quite a runaround.
Regarding the tips, the instructions on the support for sending AirPods back clearly state to include the AirPods and charger case but not the tips. So you shouldn’t include the tips when you send AirPods off for repair
Regarding the tips, it didn’t mention that. If I had included the extra tips, I would understand.

Included in my email: Also, send us only the product itself. If you include extra items in the box, we won't be able to return them to you.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Regarding the tips, it didn’t mention that. If I had included the extra tips, I would understand.

Included in my email: Also, send us only the product itself. If you include extra items in the box, we won't be able to return them to you.
When you get the email from Apple it gives you a link with instructions to a page and it does say to remove the tips. I’ve deleted my email so I don’t have the link now.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
When you get the email from Apple it gives you a link with instructions to a page and it does say to remove the tips. I’ve deleted my email so I don’t have the link now.
Yes, I found it. Your right:

My case was damaged, something that is not part of the service :)

Considering how large Apple are, and the customers who may send tips in by mistake (myself for example). You would think they have a backup plan. Send a set of tips for example.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
I had a similar horrible experience with Apple support. One of the operators admitted to me that Apple just changed its support system and it is extremely intractable. I guess systems are like shoes. You have to break them in by finding all the exceptions to the rule.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
Whenever they offer to call you back, don’t accept it if you can.

sorry you had a bad experience, Must be an effect of work from home

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.