Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freepomme

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
Somebody had to be smoking something to remove headphones and then release these expensive AirPods later on. Somebody was on some powerful drugs at the time, and my question is... WHAT WERE THEY TAKING???

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's a gen one device that I imagine will be overhauled in a year or two to give some relevance to sporting and potentially remove those q-tip sticks from still handing out of your ears.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Don't forget they also updated the beats lineup to include the W1 chip. Also added beats x which is more suitable for sports.

There's also a whole bunch of other Bluetooth headphones out there. Airpods is just another option.

Reactions: racingbull

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
They are not intended to replace the 3.5 earpods. That is what the lightning earpods are for.
Apple is trying to push people to wireless, they just did it before the technology was there at a reasonable price. The lightning are a poor fill to help with the transition since Apple was dumb enough to remove the jack this early. Give it two or three generations more and the iPhone will be shipping with wireless headphones.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Somebody had to be smoking something to remove headphones and then release these expensive AirPods later on. Somebody was on some powerful drugs at the time, and my question is... WHAT WERE THEY TAKING???
Why don't you get the new BeatsX line that Phil Schiller referred to as "affordable" at the event.

Here's a YouTube video if you missed it

Yeah thanks Apple, $10 less than the AirPods is definitely more affordable.

davidgolfer

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2015
They look terrible!! A company know for great looking products came out with a real piece of crap. Personally like the charging case for convenience, but past that no way.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
There are rumours about a launch of airpods+ at the Macbook event!

apple-airpods-funny-01-640x814.jpg

freepomme

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
So are you going to buy them?

( •́ .̫ •̀ )

Apple is trying to push people to wireless, they just did it before the technology was there at a reasonable price. The lightning are a poor fill to help with the transition since Apple was dumb enough to remove the jack this early. Give it two or three generations more and the iPhone will be shipping with wireless headphones.

Somebody at Apple was smoking something dangerous.

Reactions: BigHonkingDeal

freepomme

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
It just don't sit right with me. Just like when I first heard it. You can't talk about being the leader in innovation and then don't give us anything innovative. And then on top of that, ship out the new device with dongles to do what the previous phone could do. I mean it's not rocket science!!!

These AirPods, the way they look, the way they perform. It is very first gen. Which is why the headphone jack shouldn't have been removed.

ITS COUNTERINTUITIVE.

If they were trying to go for wireless they could've had wireless charging. How about that one?

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Single Bluetooth earpieces sold by the Millions all over the world

Add a Second one for a spare or God Forbid Stereo and the Dope(s) come out of the wood work.

Bring back the crank telephones

davidgolfer

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2015
Walk into any Walmart and you will see that people don't care what they look like in public. In two months you will see a person in pajama pants and wearing these at a local Walmart.

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
Worse than the fad of bluetooth headsets where the more retina damage the blue blinking light inflicted the more important you were.

I for one don't want two drinking straws hanging out of my ears.

And lets be honest... the straws are there because they needed a place to put the batteries, and they used that structure opportunistically for the microphones, not the other way around.
[doublepost=1473455761][/doublepost]
Walk into any Walmart and you will see that people don't care what they look like in public. In two months you will see a person in pajama pants and wearing these at a local Walmart.

Also, if you want a free pair, walk any path runners use and just pick them up like leaves in the fall :D

freepomme

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
Worse than the fad of bluetooth headsets where the more retina damage the blue blinking light inflicted the more important you were.

I for one don't want two drinking straws hanging out of my ears.

And lets be honest... the straws are there because they needed a place to put the batteries, and they used that structure opportunistically for the microphones, not the other way around.
That's why I'm saying THEY WERE ON DRUGS. They were SMOKING. They were HIGH.

Or!

They were PRESCRIBED a very strong drug, AND THEY WEREN'T TAKING IT!!

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
My concern is losing one doing anything active. Using eyeglass lanyard might work but would look really stupid. DUCT TAPE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.