Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
Recently (2020-august to november) my airport express 2 stations have started to drop out one by one.
There has been MONTHS between each one dropping out.

I have made NO software updates what so ever to the stations or to the computer. And one station dropped out first, now all of them are "unconnectable".

I am using MacBook 2009 with old iTunes (12.6.2.20) and old OSX (10.9.5) to run my music library to the three streaming boxes (airport express gen. 2, version 7.8.1)

However, the iPhone can still stream music to the very same units. So there is nothing wrong with them.

This seems to be a common issue. I am thinking that apple is doing this to phase out the Airport Express II units so that ppl buy new stuff. Or maybe to phase out the old iPads and Macbooks so that they cannot be used to stream the music library any more.

error code 10: reads something like this:
"Error occurred while connection toAirplay-unti "name of unit". Unknown error (10)"

Also if i go to the system settings, and klick sound, and choose sound output. All the Airport stations are listed. However i cannot klick them. If i klick them it will become selected for 1/10 second and then jump straight back to built in speaker.

Does anyone have workaround on this, or find the solution?

My router has not changed either, all settings are same.

//GF

Reactions: xxVOXxx

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
By going into the Aiport tool, i can select one station and see the firmware version.

By using ALT + KLICK on the station firmware one can downgrade the firmware to previous version.

Reverting to older version, and same time rebooting computer, restarting iTunes, and pulling cable for the Airport will NOT solve the problem.

Going into system setting, trying to choose the airport station as sound output source does not solve the problem.

Downgrading the firmware is still allowing newer models to connect, but by using older simple protcol that does not allow multiroom connection. This is verified from phone use. However, still not working from the MacBook.

I have treid also resetting the P-RAM

I have tried also going into the network settings on the mac, and changing the IPV-6 setting to "only local link" under the TCP/IP settings. This does not change anything.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 17.53.55.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 17.53.55.png
    652.2 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Recently (2020-august to november) my airport express 2 stations have started to drop out one by one.

I have made NO software updates what so ever to the stations or to the computer. And one station dropped out first, now all of them are "unconnectable".

I am using MacBook 2009 with old iTunes (12.6.2.20) and old OSX (10.9.5) to run my music library to the three streaming boxes (airport express gen. 2, version 7.8.1)

However, the iPhone can still stream music to the very same units. So there is nothing wrong with them.

This seems to be a common issue. I am thinking that apple is doing this to phase out the Airport Express II units so that ppl buy new stuff. Or maybe to phase out the old iPads and Macbooks so that they cannot be used to stream the music library any more.

"Error occurred while connection toAirplay-unti "name of unit". Unknown error (10)"

Also if i go to the system settings, and klick sound, and choose sound output. All the Airport stations are listed. However i cannot klick them. If i klick them it will become selected for 1/10 second and then jump straight back to built in speaker.

//GF

Are these hardwired units or joining your network over WiFi?

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
They are on wifi, connected to a Netgear router.

I have made no changes to router.

I have tried to reboot router.

I use them only for music, not as part of data network so to speak.

Will the wifi affect things here?

//GF

mrtopshelf

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
I am having the same problem, using old MacBooks as music servers with airplay, and it is occurring on multiple laptops using both system 10.75 and 10.6.8. Both have been working fine until about 2 weeks ago, no changes have been made. Now I've reset the 2 airport express units I've been streaming to, multiple times still getting the error 10 message. The units work fine streaming from my iMac, would love to hear a solution

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
PRAM was already tested.

Can you specify this "rerun the Airplay Services".
How would i do that?

For me this started on one station, and then followed on another station.
Problem has not been solved by simply reflashing the firmware.
Problem has not been solved by resetting NVRAM.

Ints very interesting since problem started with no changes on computer what so ever. This computer is ONLY used for playing the iTunes library. Only starts when music should be played.

All airport stations still work perfect with the iPhones and other equipment.

//GF

em50

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
i am having the same problem, also using an older mac on 10.6.8 and itunes 11.4 and airport express g2 on 7.8.1.

itunes stopped connecting on 11/21. if i roll back mac system date to 11/20 or earlier, it connects. a clue maybe.

we airplay-ed from newer mac with airplay 2 to samsung tv with native airplay 2 support that day, possibly for first time or first time in a year. could be red herring but ...

i have not hard reset the airport express to reset nvram yet.

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
Maybe you are on to something. I have Sony Bravia smart TV, that is also active as Airplay unit. However i cant recall ever trying it. But maybe i did, and just forgot about it.

Now we know pretty sure this is something that happens inside the OS. I dont think it is the Airport Station because i tried to roll back several versions step by step, and rebooting the computer in between each of them, nothing works.

Maybe there is a kext file, or some plist or something that we can trash and this will all work again?

Are you using any kind of DNS relay / loops in your computer?
I have some software that keeps trying to call home, and i have edited some list that will just loop the DNS it is calling, to call back to my machine. Maybe also that can affect something? That is only things i ever did with network as i can remember. However this OSX has been installed for so many years i cannot remember even.

Is there anyone who have idea about what settings to trash?

Can you compare the plist files before/after airtunes stopped working, or can you make this problem re-occur by connecting to your samsung TV?

Thanks for very useful input so far!

//GF

Applestarting2suck1

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2020

//GF
Having the same issue :( Also, "Terminal" starting turning on automatically and stealing the finder which interrupts typing on other platforms until I switch back to those other platforms. Not sure if this is a coincidence but thought it's worth mentioning? Couple things to add: I have three Airport Express's (gen 2 I think?) that experience the error (10) starting about a month ago. I then hooked up a gen 1 Airport Express and that works fine. All of 4 them along with my 2 stereo receivers (in Airplay mode) work fine with other software streaming platforms including Airfoil (which I recommend). The 2 stereo receivers (in Airplay mode) and the gen 1 Airport Express work fine in iTunes. I've tried multiple versions of iTunes across several versions of Macs. The common problem involves the three Airport Express's (gen 2s) I really enjoyed this system for years. I'm really frustrated. About to get the "tin foil hat" out! Hoping someone can offer a solution.

Applestarting2suck1

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2020

//GF
Having the same issue :( Also, "Terminal" starting turning on automatically and stealing the finder which interrupts typing on other platforms until I switch back to those other platforms. Not sure if this is a coincidence but thought it's worth mentioning? Couple things to add: I have three Airport Express's (gen 2 I think?) that experience the error (10) starting about a month ago. I then hooked up a gen 1 Airport Express and that works fine. All of 4 them along with my 2 stereo receivers (in Airplay mode) work fine with other software streaming platforms including Airfoil (which I recommend). The 2 stereo receivers (in Airplay mode) and the gen 1 Airport Express work fine in iTunes. I've tried multiple versions of iTunes across several versions of Macs. The common problem involves the three Airport Express's (gen 2s) I really enjoyed this system for years. I'm really frustrated. About to get the "tin foil hat" out! Hoping someone can offer a solution.

//GF

em50

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
Thanks for the update.

Have you tried rolling the system date on the Macs in System Preferences back to when it worked and then trying to reconnect with iTunes? It's not necessary to restart iTunes. After reconnecting you can put the date back to auto and iTunes should stay connected until you reconnect or restart it. This was mentioned at appletoolbox.com/airplay issues/for older macs and has worked for me, though its not a satisfying solution.

I'm curious if our working/not-working dates are the same, that would be interesting. Is there a permissions/licensing issue embedded Airplay 1 iTunes or Express hardware?

I also have a Samsung tv with Airplay 2 native support that we activated around this time. There is a chance that displaced/blocked out Airplay 1 functionality on the Airport Express G2 with 7.8.1 Airplay 2 update, maybe a factory reset can answer that question ie: something in pram or kext (wave of hands).

I think it may be helpful to distinguish between Airplay 1/2 devices and receivers.

In our home network served by the Airport Express G2 with 7.8.1 Airplay 2 update, all the Airplay 2 devices (newer Os) connect and stream without issue, and all the Airplay 1 devices (Apple tv2, iphone, mac though iTunes) connect and stream with each other but can no longer stream/airplay connect to the Express. They do see it in Airplay but can not connect so the Express is effectively Airplay 2 only at this point. If one could rollback the system date on Apple TV2/iphone that would be interesting as well, but they use network time so you cant.

Our network is plain vanilla, has no apparent interference sources, and is working perfectly. It's just Express has gone Airplay 2 only. I have not found anything definitive on backward capability for this 7.8.1. It's claimed but not explained. It is possible this Express update was never meant to be backward compatible for Airplay 1 devices - there have been complaints about it since its release on this point. Perhaps we have just been luckier until now...

SpiderMurphy

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
Thanks for the update.

Have you tried rolling the system date on the Macs in System Preferences back to when it worked and then trying to reconnect with iTunes? It's not necessary to restart iTunes. After reconnecting you can put the date back to auto and iTunes should stay connected until you reconnect or restart it. This was mentioned at appletoolbox.com/airplay issues/for older macs and has worked for me, though its not a satisfying solution.

I'm curious if our working/not-working dates are the same, that would be interesting. Is there a permissions/licensing issue embedded Airplay 1 iTunes or Express hardware?

I also have a Samsung tv with Airplay 2 native support that we activated around this time. There is a chance that displaced/blocked out Airplay 1 functionality on the Airport Express G2 with 7.8.1 Airplay 2 update, maybe a factory reset can answer that question ie: something in pram or kext (wave of hands).

I think it may be helpful to distinguish between Airplay 1/2 devices and receivers.

In our home network served by the Airport Express G2 with 7.8.1 Airplay 2 update, all the Airplay 2 devices (newer Os) connect and stream without issue, and all the Airplay 1 devices (Apple tv2, iphone, mac though iTunes) connect and stream with each other but can no longer stream/airplay connect to the Express. They do see it in Airplay but can not connect so the Express is effectively Airplay 2 only at this point. If one could rollback the system date on Apple TV2/iphone that would be interesting as well, but they use network time so you cant.

Our network is plain vanilla, has no apparent interference sources, and is working perfectly. It's just Express has gone Airplay 2 only. I have not found anything definitive on backward capability for this 7.8.1. It's claimed but not explained. It is possible this Express update was never meant to be backward compatible for Airplay 1 devices - there have been complaints about it since its release on this point. Perhaps we have just been luckier until now...

Thanks, I set my Macbook to early 2020 and all three Airport Expresses came online immediately.
Still looking for a permanent solution...

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
If the date is a problem here, i can think that there is a sertificate or another feature that disables these units. This brings my tinfoil hat back on.. Did Apple put a date for when these units should "expire" with older software?

I changed the date to 2019-12-24 and managed to get the Airport Express 2 unit running, if it was on a older firmware. The units i have with newer firmware still deliver error message (10).

After changing back to 2020-12-24 the unit dropped out immediately. I did not restart iTunes, it just dropped out when i swapped songs.

For me there is now 2 solid conclutions:

- Data has something to do with this
- Firmware version has something to do with this
- Probably this is related to some renewing of certificates or something like that (i dont know how) if there is something in the Airplay protocol that rely on apple servers to work.

Shouldnt his have been obvious to Apple developer the day they wrote the code.. That it would be broken on a specific date?

//GF

Last edited:

Applestarting2suck1

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2020
Thanks, I set my Macbook to early 2020 and all three Airport Expresses came online immediately.
Still looking for a permanent solution...
Buy Airfoil. It's about $30. For me, it sees and streams to everything including the AIRPORT EXPRESS' (x3), Airplay devices (2 Yamaha receivers), Apple TV, etc all at the same time WITH individual volume controls (moot but worth mentioning I guess). I originally bought it to stream from a browser (Sirius Radio) which works great. Once you open Airfoil you choose iTunes, your Mac, Google, or whatever as the source. This is not as streamline or simple as iTunes WAS but I can still enjoy any music from anywhere I have a stereo on my property. What a country :)

em50

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
Thanks for the update.

I set the date on an iphone that could not connect back to the same date that works for the mac and the iphone connected perfectly. I also tried changing the firmware on the express back to 7.6.9 and still got the error. So something in that express is very date sticky.

PWE

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2021
i am having the same problem, also using an older mac on 10.6.8 and itunes 11.4 and airport express g2 on 7.8.1.

itunes stopped connecting on 11/21. if i roll back mac system date to 11/20 or earlier, it connects. a clue maybe.

we airplay-ed from newer mac with airplay 2 to samsung tv with native airplay 2 support that day, possibly for first time or first time in a year. could be red herring but ...

i have not hard reset the airport express to reset nvram yet.
Mine stopped connecting on Feb 23rd 2020 roll back to 02/22 and all is well
but when I do, iTunes says it cannot verify the identity of the server p19-buy.iTunes.Apple.com which I gues is to verify my early iTunes purchases

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
Does all this indicate a feature built in (knowingly or not) to make these units stop working?

To me all this seems like the "new Apple" that is creeping up on us where its expected to stop using perfectly working equipment.

//GF

FortyTw0

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2021
I can confirm that setting back the clock does work. I did this on a MacPro running 10.7.5. It suddenly stopped connecting to my airport Express in late November with an error code 10. It is working again. I checked by resetting to the current date and it stopped. Therefore, it seems to be a time certificate problem on the Apple servers as I did get a message that iTunes could not connect to a server called "partiallity.apple.com" (approximately, my bad for not taking a screenshot). I did this again on a Mac Mini newly updated to 10.6.8 where I would get an error code -15000 when connecting to the AirPort Express (one of the last produced). Once again the AirPort Express has worked flawlessly for years until late November. It still continues to work flawlessly with iOS devices, we have 3 in our house, an iPad, iPad mini and an iPod G5.

My MacBook(late 2011) running OS 10.10.x I recently updated/downloaded the latest iTunes that works with that system. This also solved the problem. I found that solution on a different site.

I have been trying to solve this for the last 6 weeks on and off.

Conclusions:
1. The airport express seems to require a certificate from Apple to run with certain versions of OSX and possibly versions of iTunes (each of my computers has a different OSX and iOS) My next test will be to firewall the Airport Express from sending signals back through the router. I am not sure this will work. We'll see.
2. Setting back the clock does solve the connection problem in OSX 10.7.5 and 10.6.8, it is too late to try this on my OSX 10.10 computer
3. Airport Express still works seamlessly with iOS
4. Running the latest version of iTunes will help, but that also requires having the correct OSX running.

Theory:
1. Marketing ploy to get Airport Express users to buy newer devices.
2. Force users to use the latest iTunes where you cannot turn off automatic connections to the App Store, or Apple Music, whatever it is called. I don't use it; my CD collection is huge.

Summary:
This glitch was extremely annoying, especially, before Xmas, when we like to play the good ol' songs throughout the house. iTunes is always trying to connect back to the mothership Apple.

Last edited:

Beau Slim

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2017
Apple doesn't make WiFi gear any more, so they have zero motivation to push you to upgrade. It is much more likely that they simply aren't concentrating on supporting these devices.
I don't know about the Express, but having taken apart Extremes, they have a big battery in them. I wonder if the clock issue might be from a dead battery (either depleted over time or not recharging any more).

FortyTw0

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2021
@Beau - thank you for your insightful response. My previous AP express worked for over 10 years, before it went pear-shaped, due to some internal burnout. This AP express suddenly stopped working with certain versions of MacOS or iTunes. The battery suggestion might be something, but that doesn't explain why only Mac Desktops and notebooks running older systems or old iTunes cannot connect and while iOS devices can connect. And, yes, I concede that Apple is not supporting this type of hardware. They seemed to have forgotten those of us who used Apple hardware for it's superior graphics performance and seamless integration. I monitored quite a bit of communication between software and hardware to apple sites. I am more than frustrated with this lack of development and support from a company I have faithfully supported since 1982. DJT supports his core and Apple just wants to sell iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.