Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
London
I was wondering if this might work, given metal suitcase might interfere with whatever signals. Does anyone have Tiles or Samsung and does it work?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
I was wondering the same thing, but because I want to put it inside my Rimowa. Outside should be fine because Apple actually has one on a Rimowa carry-on on its promo pictures:
1619318019423.png

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
Check to see if it fits inside your luggage tag. Mine does with only a small bulge. It's not the prettiest, but serves its purpose. In a month, Amazon will probably have hundreds of choices of bag tags with tag pockets.

Reactions: DoubleFlyaway

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
If the whole body is really aluminum I don't think the Airtags or similar concepts will work well INSIDE the case. Basically you'd be throwing a tag dependent on RF into a faraday cage.
Not at all. I tried with my two aluminium Rimowa luggage and it works perfectly.

Reactions: ignatius345

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
You could stick something like these on the bottom near the wheels. More certainty of getting signals outside than stuck inside:

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
I stand corrected.
If the whole body is really aluminum I don't think the Airtags or similar concepts will work well INSIDE the case. Basically you'd be throwing a tag dependent on RF into a faraday cage.

If you have the Rimowa Original, open your luggage, and unzip the lining on the right side. At the top, you'll have a plastic part for the handle. If you stick it there, your AirTag will work without issues because that plastic part will be a RF window despite the aluminium casing.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
If you have the Rimowa Original, open your luggage, and unzip the lining on the right side. At the top, you'll have a plastic part for the handle. If you stick it there, your AirTag will work without issues because that plastic part will be a RF window despite the aluminium casing.
Aaah ok. That explains it then! Pre-pandemic I was doing ~300,000 butt in seat miles a year. I seriously considered getting a Rimowa aluminum carry-on because a)I'm German, and I think it is a legal requirement for all German business people to use these... and b) I love the look.

Since 2008 though, I've been a one-bag traveler using only a Goruck GR1 backpack for trips of any length. I couldn't bear the thought of going back to roller luggage.

fweber

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Germany
Could you provide some dimensions for the suitcases surface, such as the gap between the ribs/grooves? Is there any indent which would be suitable for mounting an Airtag? I‘ll have a look at it regarding 3D printable mounts.

Meanwhile you could use this one, though I guess it is not rugged enough for flight baggage yet: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4847132

InBruges

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
United Kingdom
Can't we just put an Airtag inside the little leather Rimowa address pouch which comes with the case? (Where you would normally put a card with your details). This attaches to the top handle. Could add Velcro to stop it slipping out

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
London
Unfortunately all my Rimowas are classic. I can't see any exposed bits it's all aluminium, I will have a little play once my AirTag arrives.

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
London
Aaah ok. That explains it then! Pre-pandemic I was doing ~300,000 butt in seat miles a year. I seriously considered getting a Rimowa aluminum carry-on because a)I'm German, and I think it is a legal requirement for all German business people to use these... and b) I love the look.

Since 2008 though, I've been a one-bag traveler using only a Goruck GR1 backpack for trips of any length. I couldn't bear the thought of going back to roller luggage.
I recommend classic, it's a retro look case, and the Original is nice, but there are too many of them around, especially if you fly to Asia, HK, China, Singapore or Japan, it's like everyone has the same suitcase as you. I have 2 check ins and 1 carry on, love the retro look. My other half and I always take the 2 check ins for long haul holidays with a backpack each, only take the carry on with a holdall for city break, never take the check in and carry on together.

I'd say a roller would hold more than a backpack, but a backpack is definitely more convenient. Or a holdall is somewhat convenient too, I have a Gucci medium which is a 45 mm bag, and that holds more than my backpack and slightly less than the Rimowa carry on, obviously, it's difficult to have a laptop or iPad with a holdall.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I'd say a roller would hold more than a backpack, but a backpack is definitely more convenient.
Well that is exactly the point. I'm trying to travel with less. A backpack by design makes me take less stuff. Due to:
  1. Capacity
  2. Weight
My last international Business trip was Jan 2020 to India for 2 weeks. My 26L bag was all I needed. It was glorious.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Unfortunately all my Rimowas are classic. I can't see any exposed bits it's all aluminium, I will have a little play once my AirTag arrives.
Mmmm are you sure? On this picture it looks like the handle part (black) is plastic
1620097774152.png

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
I recommend classic, it's a retro look case, and the Original is nice, but there are too many of them around, especially if you fly to Asia, HK, China, Singapore or Japan, it's like everyone has the same suitcase as you. I have 2 check ins and 1 carry on, love the retro look. My other half and I always take the 2 check ins for long haul holidays with a backpack each, only take the carry on with a holdall for city break, never take the check in and carry on together.

I'd say a roller would hold more than a backpack, but a backpack is definitely more convenient. Or a holdall is somewhat convenient too, I have a Gucci medium which is a 45 mm bag, and that holds more than my backpack and slightly less than the Rimowa carry on, obviously, it's difficult to have a laptop or iPad with a holdall.
I almost went for the classic, but heard that its weak points are the handles and and lock on impact because of the design ?

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
London
An update with this.....

Since my last post, I have had a few trips already, I just leave the AirTag in the luggage tag that comes with the case, and it works.

It's definitely fun to use the "Find" feature when luggage is coming out. In one of the trips, after we landed in Heathrow, ours and this other couple's luggage took really long to come out, even after everyone else claimed theirs, the other couple went to talk to BA staff and try to claim it was missing, but we could see the luggage is in London, so just waited.... It's somewhat useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.