Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleWoW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
SLC, Utah
Hey there MR community! I currently play wow and am in a raiding guild. As of now I play on a old G4 tower case. I normally get 2-4 FPS when in fights during a raid and this can hinder my DPS by alot and even causes deaths! I am looking to purchase a new iMac when leopard comes out. Would a 20" iMac with 4GB of ram run well with all the addons I have running? (about 45MB worth of addons) Anything is appreciated! :apple:

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
As others have said, you'll see a dramatic increase. I play on the first Intel iMac (2 Ghz, 2 GB of RAM) and I get roughly 25-30 FPS with the same amount of add ons. I don't think you'll need 4 GB of RAM but if you have you're heart set on it then I'd say go for it; however, 2 GB should be more than enough.

AppleWoW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
SLC, Utah
I have my eyes set on the 20" 2.4 ATI 2600 PRO iMac atm and I heard that it would run a bit faster than the 24" due to resolution. I just did the command+I on my interface folder (info) and it says my folder is 1.49GB does that mean I have that much in addons running? (one of my addons says I have 40something MB of addons running) <-- is why I was thinking I needed 4GB

AppleWoW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
SLC, Utah
So with the 20" 2.4 ati 2600 pro with 4GB ram, I should be able to run all the raid mods I have now at a playable frame rate? (30-60 FPS settings maxed)

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
So with the 20" 2.4 ati 2600 pro with 4GB ram, I should be able to run all the raid mods I have now at a playable frame rate? (30-60 FPS settings maxed)

You should be just fine. With my compy on maxed settings I am running about 20-30 fps after the latest updates, however, i was just running a trial account and have never done a raid, so i don't know how much flashy stuff is on the screen and what not, but I am sure you will be very happy with a system that you are describing. Actually my old housemate is going to get one like that next week, i'm trying to convince him to wait until leopard comes out to save $130, but he's in the navy and said he just wants to have a computer. It will be his first mac, i'm happy i could convince him to get it. I just wish I could trade him mine when he gets it.:D:apple:

AppleWoW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
SLC, Utah
Im thinking that the 20" 2.4 will be a wonderful machine and the extra 2GB of memory should help me run WoW with all my addons to its fullest!

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
I recently bought a 20 inch 2.4ghz with the 2600HD. It runs 60 fps constantly outdoors, 50 in battlegrounds. I have never done anything to intense yet, but im sure it will play fine also.

The only addon I am running is the titanpanel, and it still runs great with only 1G of RAM.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Im thinking that the 20" 2.4 will be a wonderful machine and the extra 2GB of memory should help me run WoW with all my addons to its fullest!
You're right that the machine you're looking at will be great but I don't really think you need to upgrade the RAM to 4 GB. If you have your heart set on it by all means do it but 40 MB's of add ons isn't that big of a deal. I remember having close to 100 MB's of add ons running at one point and I never saw a difference in gameplay from when I played with zero add ons. As long as you get 2 GB's of RAM you'll have more than enough. Good luck on your purchase.

Hydra

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
Finland
So is it actually possible to play a game (for example WoW) on the new al iMac without constant crashes? I've seen nothing but people complaining that they crash all the time even with the new drivers and firmware updates.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
So is it actually possible to play a game (for example WoW) on the new al iMac without constant crashes? I've seen nothing but people complaining that they crash all the time even with the new drivers and firmware updates.

There's a thread on the WoW forums about this. A work around that seems to have success, is to run the game in windowed mode, and use /maxfps.

I'm holding off ordering a 20" iMac until Apple fix this issue ( or it's confirmed as not effecting Leopard ).

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
On my iMacs I've had one issue with freezing and it is to do with WoW. It only happens when the video card is hot and I enter and exit windowed mode. I may repatch WoW to solve this. Given the freezing I have heard on top end cards running games in PCs, I think this issue is (for me) small beer. YMMV.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
On my iMacs I've had one issue with freezing and it is to do with WoW. It only happens when the video card is hot and I enter and exit windowed mode. I may repatch WoW to solve this. Given the freezing I have heard on top end cards running games in PCs, I think this issue is (for me) small beer. YMMV.

Tis a driver issue, according to Blizzard ( and confirmed by Apple who claim to be working on the issue ). They recommend running in windowed mode, for the time being. If you're interested, see here. There's some useful settings mentioned....

Apple need to get a grip. Reading through the WoW forums ( though the issues aren't only WoW-based, Second Life, also suffers ), there are issues with the Al iMacs, and with the SR MBP's, all related to video drivers.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Tis a driver issue, according to Blizzard ( and confirmed by Apple who claim to be working on the issue ). They recommend running in windowed mode, for the time being. If you're interested, see here. There's some useful settings mentioned....

Apple need to get a grip. Reading through the WoW forums ( though the issues aren't only WoW-based, Second Life, also suffers ), there are issues with the Al iMacs, and with the SR MBP's, all related to video drivers.

Those folks on the Warcraft forums sure have more problems than I do. Mine only crashes (touch wood) going into and out of windowed mode. The ATI drivers have a problem for sure but as the latest Windows versions from ATI have shown, its not something that cannot be overcome. Let's hope Apple presses a little harder on ATI since they are providing the bulk of the work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.