Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
Awesome news, hopefully in the future they can start utilising Metal.

I bought the PC version on Steam, wonder if I'll get the Mac version without having to re-buy.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Ah-may-zing!!

Need it!

As for Metal, I'm betting it will ship with support for it. The timing of the release date means they've been working on it for some time.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
That assumes Metal has all the features required. For Shadows of Mordor, Metal is a no-go.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Awesome news, hopefully in the future they can start utilising Metal.

I bought the PC version on Steam, wonder if I'll get the Mac version without having to re-buy.

Ditto for me. I haven't started it yet still, even though I bought it months ago.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
If it comes out on Steam, it's virtually guaranteed that you will not have to pay for it again.

Yeah, that seems right. The only downside to having bought the PC version is that the Mac developer won't get paid for it.

Ah-may-zing!!

Need it!

As for Metal, I'm betting it will ship with support for it. The timing of the release date means they've been working on it for some time.

Opinion or fact?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Mods, could you please delete the above post? The system won't allow me to correct it or delete it.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
This was said in another thread by Brad Oliver. Metal cannot do tessellation or geometry shaders.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
This was said in another thread by Brad Oliver. Metal cannot do tessellation or geometry shaders.

Yeah, from what I've read which includes what you cite here, we should not expect every new port to utilize Metal because a lot of work needs to be done for it to offer all the features needed.

I imagine it'll be great when possible and hopefully Apple will continue to add needed enhancements to it but for now I actually will be assuming something is not going to be using Metal unless an announcement specifies otherwise.

On another note, since the system requirements for the game do not require El Capitain one can derive from that it isn't a port done with the Metal API.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I can barely play Aliens games when I'm armed with a pulse rifle and a motion tracker. But sneaking around barely armed, trying not to get the teeth, has kept me away from this title. ;)

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Yeah, from what I've read which includes what you cite here, we should not expect every new port to utilize Metal because a lot of work needs to be done for it to offer all the features needed.

I imagine it'll be great when possible and hopefully Apple will continue to add needed enhancements to it but for now I actually will be assuming something is not going to be using Metal unless an announcement specifies otherwise.

On another note, since the system requirements for the game do not require El Capitain one can derive from that it isn't a port done with the Metal API.
Clearly the Mac version is done with openGL. But I see that tessellation is only an option in this game, and judging from screenshots, it hardly makes a visible difference. I don't know about geometry shaders, but maybe Metal could power that game. It'd be great if Feral could pull this off. :) Shadow of Mordor was different because it required tessellation.
It's not as if the API was worthless since it's used for UE4, Unity, Starcraft 2...

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
It's not as if the API was worthless since it's used for UE4, Unity, Starcraft 2...

Oh, yeah. I didn't mean to imply at all that I don't think it's a great thing. I absolutely do! I'm excited about seeing the Blizzard games updated with Metal, etc. I think a lot of great stuff will be done with it. I also hope what it is lacking now just relates to it being new on OS X and its iOS roots where perhaps certain features were not high priority, at least not yet. I would think this is just the start and that over time we'll see improvements that broaden the scope of what can be done with it.

I've been excited about this since watching the demo of it being used in a new game by Epic using Unreal 4 with Metal. Some people were not impressed with the visuals but I thought it looked cool and like a fun game to play. The big thing wasn't watching it though. It was listening to the presentation where the guy detailed the things Metal made possible and the improvements to performance they noted in the course of making that game so far. I think people got a little hung up about what game was chosen to be shown and didn't really pay enough attention to what the guy was saying for some reason.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Update from the website:

UPDATE: We're sorry to bring you bad tidings, but Alien: Isolation - The Collection for Mac and Linux has been delayed due to an issue that affects both platforms, and will not be released today.

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
Update from the website:

UPDATE: We're sorry to bring you bad tidings, but Alien: Isolation - The Collection for Mac and Linux has been delayed due to an issue that affects both platforms, and will not be released today.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......

Dwayne82

macrumors member
May 16, 2015
Switzerland
FYI:
OS X version is aviable on Steam now (since 1/2 week) :) Windows licence works for the OSX Version too :D
I was surprised that it even works on my rMB 12". I get 15-20 fps (of course all minimal settings, exept of details: medium)

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
FYI:
OS X version is aviable on Steam now (since 1/2 week) :) Windows licence works for the OSX Version too :D
I was surprised that it even works on my rMB 12". I get 15-20 fps (of course all minimal settings, exept of details: medium)

Nice to hear it works without major issues!

Does the Mac port include all DLC's?

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
For those familiar with game's pricings over time, is there possibility this game's price would go down below $15 for Steam's Winter/holiday sale?

New Tomb Raider game used to cost like $60 or so, and now some times the game is on sale for $5. I was wondering if the same could happen to Alien Isolation

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
For those familiar with game's pricings over time, is there possibility this game's price would go down below $15 for Steam's Winter/holiday sale?

New Tomb Raider game used to cost like $60 or so, and now some times the game is on sale for $5. I was wondering if the same could happen to Alien Isolation

It's 12.49 over at humble bundle right now. Might be cheaper by the winter sale but not by much.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Steam wouldn't let me start the game on my late 2012 iMac... I had to manually start it by opening the game file in "show package contents." The game decently ran for awhile.... until I lit up the flare! The game just keeps quitting whenever I light up the flare.

Oh well. Submitted request for refund.

Maybe it's time to upgrade my iMac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.