Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
I don't really care. I'd be happy if it didn't even exist. The only thing that switch is used for on my iPhone 15 is getting stuck on the case when it is turned on and turning silent mode off which is on permanently otherwise.

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
The (in)action button is such a downgrade. I’d like my mute switch back. I never use this silly button and whenever I want to mute the phone I have to take it out of my pocket as otherwise I wouldn’t know if it is currently muted or not. Definitely a solution in search of a problem, and possibly ending up like the 3D Touch (which in comparison was far more useful).

• Wow
Reactions: Lyrics23 and mtoddy

Larabee119

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
The action button is pretty useful. I use that all the time to open doors and enable home automation scene when I come home.

Reactions: Lyrics23

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
Even if only a handful of users truly customize it. It has more potential then the simple switch ever did

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I love it. It was a nice perk I was looking forward to when I chose the 15 pro over the 15. Someone here on MR shared a shortcut and I’ve customized it for my preferences. Yes I do occasionally mistake it for a volume button but it’s not a deal breaker. 🤞Apple adds multi press functionality in the near future.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Having it as an accessibility option for people who cannot feel a flat circular icon on a screen to activate a camera or other shortcut is still a useful and laudable thing to include. Just because I might not find it useful doesn't mean other people won't. Many still appreciate the tactility of a button to trigger an outcome.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
The action button on my 15 Pro is in a horrible spot. It's above the volume buttons which is very difficult to reach for me. If they had placed it below the volume buttons it would be easier to reach and I might actually use it. Below the volume buttons also puts the action button close to the vertical center so when you trigger the button with one hand, it's supported by the rest of your hand.

appleCakes

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
California, USA
The mechanical form that truly serves photography is an Apple Watch style Digital Crown. Single/ double/ triple click ... and above all a smooth and satisfying zoom.

What good is all the optical zoom range if working with it is a pain. Reinvent the wheel Apple.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
It is actually a really useful thing, use it as my home assistant button to control stuff in my home. You can make it do loads of things depending on what you want it to do, different things for different times or modes or whatnot.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
it’s on the Lock Screen too. Literally just have to move your finger 3 inches. Doesn’t justify a button
Imagine you are lost in the woods running from a bear. It's night time and you can't see where are you going, and it just started to run quite heavily. You whip out your iPhone as you run to turn on the flashlight...Ah! The rain falls on the screen and the flashlight button becomes unresponsive. The bear is also catching up. In a few seconds you'd be done for. If you trip or run into a tree now it's all over. At this moment you remember that you have set your action button to turn on the flashlight. You press it and the light turns on! Suddenly you see a tree just three feet from you and you were just about to hit it. You swerve at the last moment just as the bear pounces. The bear hits the tree instead and fell unconscious. You keep running. Setting the button to flashlight has saved your life.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Imagine you are lost in the woods running from a bear. It's night time and you can't see where are you going, and it just started to run quite heavily. You whip out your iPhone as you run to turn on the flashlight...Ah! The rain falls on the screen and the flashlight button becomes unresponsive. The bear is also catching up. In a few seconds you'd be done for. If you trip or run into a tree now it's all over. At this moment you remember that you have set your action button to turn on the flashlight. You press it and the light turns on! Suddenly you see a tree just three feet from you and you were just about to hit it. You swerve at the last moment just as the bear pounces. The bear hits the tree instead and fell unconscious. You keep running. Setting the button to flashlight has saved your life.
Well I’m sold.

Reactions: antiprotest

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
I’m sure when one of these buttons eventually turns up on a new iPhone that I purchase I’ll probably set it to work like the mute switch on my 15 Plus. Either that or I’ll just ignore it.

But the results of the Mac Rumors poll, however unscientific, sound right to me. Most people ignore it, a sizable minority finds it useful in different ways and a core group of fanboys think it’s the second coming.

Last edited:

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
So I really LIKE the action button. When I am doing my daily routine I set it for the mute function. However, when I travel, I change it to the camera button and find it's really helpful/useful on trips when I constantly am taking pictures. Now I would be really disappointed if they removed the action button.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I have one specific use in mind, so I'm moderately hyped for this change (especially since I probably won't get the pro, this september)

TheWraith

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2024
I like the IDEA of the action button. In practice it has not been useful for me at all.

Reactions: Biro

johnalan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Ye it’s not really useful. Use it for opening the camera but that’s on the Lock Screen anyway. So is flashlight, the only other thing I’d use it for. So makes it pointless. Also the action button on the Apple Watch Ultra 2 is even more useless. I don’t use it for workouts so it’s set to flash light. Never use the thing. Such a waste of buttons.

I agree it's not useful for the average person, but for me I use it to run a shortcut that hits a bunch of Web APIs and parses JSON responses showing me the aggregate gain/loss of investments I have, prior to that I used it to hit an SSH endpoint that opened my garage, literally using it 15-30 times a day.

I guess I'm in the 10%, so maybe it doesn't make sense to keep, just like the very great pressure sensitive screens.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
It's insanely handy for me as a quick camera button, I typically press it as I get the phone out of my pocket, then take the pic. Super handy for those urgent random pics!

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
One of Apples golden rule said to leave a feature away if less than 20% of the users use it. Now compare this to
„Some respondents (12.6%) agreed with the description that the Action button is a "game changer."“.

I guess neither Tim nor Phil did even hear about this Jobs principle how to make a device simple to use. Or they just don‘t care cause all they have in mind is profit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.