Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandobean

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2013
I use mine a lot to trigger a voice session with GPT. Very handy for replacing Siri to ask quick questions because as we all know Siri is basically useless for that stuff.

Ironically I prefer my case that has the “cut out” for the button. (Was designed when case manufacturers thought it would be a mute switch). This prevents me from hitting it accidentally. I hated my case that had a raised button for it.

Shame I had to be a power user to get real use out of it. Agree there should be long press/double press options.

dozoy

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
Why couldn't Apple have expanded the support for lock/side button accessibility shortcuts? I have the buttons on my android mapped to a few different things:

Hold lock button: flashlight
Double click lock button: camera
Double click down volume: previous track
Double click up button: next track

I know you can do something similar in iOS with accessibility shortcuts, but I only ever found out about them about a year ago. I don't have any visual, hearing, or touch impairments, so I don't exactly spend a lot of time hunting around in that particular menu.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
This button could change everything

We call it Apple Button, and you're going to love it. We are so excited to see what you do with Apple Button.

The reception of Apple Button has been amazing, never did we envisage such a response to such a simple feature. Now coming to all Macs in 2025 is Apple Button Pro + AI. A single, multi use, multi function, professional button. Redesigned microswitches tested to 2 billion clicks. Resistant to dirt and water ingress. We think Apple Button will revolutionise Mac.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
A18 = double press
A19 = triple press
A20 = custom options

People don't understand the cpu power it has to assign for these press combinations.

Also, just found out this button was different after owning this device 5 months.

Reactions: Fuzzball84

Joosst

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Wow, 1 out of 10 (tech savvy macrumors reading) people accidentally press this button thinking it’s a volume button? That is unacceptable bad design. And these are just the early adopters. Wait until the boomers get a hold of this.

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
The button is an outstanding addition.

Not shocked it's panned here. Seems everything Apple does gets a negative response here. Helps people feel good.
Yes, outstanding in the sense of protruding. There are probably people on MR that do like it but i do not see them posting. I would be interested to hear from them because I still sustain a non-action button iPhone.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Yes, outstanding in the sense of protruding. There are probably people on MR that do like it but i do not see them posting. I would be interested to hear from them because I still sustain a non-action button iPhone.

No doubt there are many, such as myself, who like it but don't see the point of making a fuss about it cuz it's just a button that's handy to, for example, launch an often used app. And doesn't rise to the occasion of dancing in the streets about how handy it is.

Or feel the need to use that as reason to take a swing at Apple (wah.... Apple doesn't innovate any more. wah...) or Tim Cook.

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
I e-mailed Steve about my iPhone 3GS, asking for a button on the next iPhone between the volume keys that could be used to play/pause and re/ff music, just like the button on the Apple earbuds remote. I still think that would be a cool option for the action button. That would mean recognizing double and triple presses, which would make the button more flexible for other uses, too.

I wish its function could change depending on what app you're using. On my Ultra, I love using the button WHILE I'M RUNNING to pause and resume, but that requires me to have the button always set to the Workout app. I don't need to be able to launch a workout at any given time and from any given app. I'd much rather be able to, for example, turn on the flashlight or launch some other app when I press it from the watch face, stop and start a stopwatch when I'm running that app, and pause and resume my workout when I'm in an active workout.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
It was useful on vacation to quickly pull up the camera. Haven't used it otherwise.

However, given the choice, I'd prefer the toggle switch back to mute and unmute the phone without needing to look at the screen.

ThrawnTHX

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
Firstly, not a boomer. I hate the action button and shudder at the thought of Apple adding another button next iteration. First, they broke simple with software feature bloat, now they’re engineering bloat into the physicality of the phone itself. Hate it.

Congrats, people. We’re converging with Android.

Reactions: Biro

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Currently have set it up as a shortcut to either open camera or switch between silent/ring modes or even turn on flash light depending on orientation of device. But most probably majority will be using it as a mute button. Hopefully Apple can add some more functionality to the button in the future.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Our social media poll represents a small, self-selecting cohort of iPhone 15 Pro users. It is also an example of convenience sampling, and by no means statistically sound. Even so, it seems the case could be made that many people have had trouble finding a dedicated use case for the Action button. Because of this we can’t draw any firm conclusions about the usefulness of the action button.
Fixed that for you.

Reactions: dannys1

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
FTA: "most occasional users assigned the camera or flashlight to the Action button – functions that are also easily accessible via the Lock screen"

Fair enough, those options are definitely available on the Lock screen, but most of the time it takes multiple presses to trigger the flashlight or camera. For the camera, it is often faster to simply swipe from the right because you can't just tap it, you have to long-press those buttons.

The Action button is much faster to activate the camera. I just wish I could remove the camera button from the Lock screen.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
I had this button on my ancient Sony Erricson mobile phone, as well as on my old Galaxy s10+. Honestly – nothing to see here. Opening camera is much more convenient by just swiping to the left on the lockscreen. Silent mode switch makes more sense imo

marlman

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
I love it got it set via shortcuts to all my shopping loyalty cards using a free app called Stocard.
Use it nearly everyday.

Reeneman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2021
Have a 15 Pro since its release day… still haven’t touched this button for a single time over all these months.

mlenger

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Southern California
I have mine set up as a camera button. I do use it but the placement of the button is less than ideal. Also when the phone is in a case the button becomes very recessed and difficult to press.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.