Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Why? MBA take up similar room, and has full OS. Much better and more capable than a big iPad.

How do you use a MBA with one hand while walking about at an office, factory floor, medical ward or whatnot? Or perch it on a sheet music stand? Take pictures for reference or scan documents and whiteboards on the go?

Not everyone is using their iPads for Candy Crush and as a snack tray while slouching on the couch.

DriedTurnip

macrumors member
May 28, 2013
DPRK
I don't think I've ever heard someone complain "gosh, I wish my iPad was bigger and more uncomfortable to hold and use".

Presaxctly, that *thing* seems to be a step back on many of the design aspects Apple has been improving with the iPad over five generations + mini, but with no Jobs in charge, who knows.

fmaxwell

Nov 27, 2008
Why? MBA take up similar room, and has full OS. Much better and more capable than a big iPad.

Because you can't use a MacBook Air to read while lying in bed, while standing up on a subway, etc. Ever try using a MacBook Air with the screen in portrait orientation. Yeah, that's real practical, to have the keyboard standing vertically. And, hey, love that cellular connectivity of the MacBook Air... Oh, wait, it doesn't have that.

fmaxwell

Nov 27, 2008

A MacBook Air doesn't have any cellular connectivity. It can't be operated in portrait mode for reading magazines, manuals, and books. It does not have a touchscreen, which is vital when working with the device in one hand standing up or when operating in portrait mode. You can't use it lying down. It's not instantly on when you open it up.

NFernoSlyr

macrumors demi-god
Sep 27, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA.
I'm a musician and teacher. I would buy this the FIRST SECOND it became available...

I'd do the same if I were an artist, engineer, publisher, architect, photo/video, animation/movie, (graphic) designer, doctor, scientist, sports coach, fashionista, retailer, educator, strategist, presenter of any kind, into CAD, into stocks, into maps, into "board" games, into scrapbook making, a DJ, etc., etc.

I want/need my sheet music digitized, organized, searchable, available.
Same with fine art, photography and travel books...

^
This…

touchUpInside

macrumors regular
May 4, 2014
UTC -07:00
since when does this site post mockups?

PowerBookG4.jpg

12_9_ipad_macbook_air.jpg

Chung123

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
To summarize: you might not see a use for this, but there are people, like me, who do. The question is, are there enough people who want this.

Agree.

I also wish for Wacom technology support,(I know the MSFT Surface Pro has it) this would be a killer portable Cintiq Companion and much more useful. I have the Wacom Bluetooth Creative Stylus currently but the palm rejection and accuracy is still disappointing.

I would also love some sort of ability to use this is a DSLR video monitor if they allow HDMI input.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
iOS must change

I use NotePro for certain situations where I cannot carry a Laptop. Of course this is also my second Phone (mostly less important contacts).

IPad Air Pro can adress converging crowd of MacBook Air and iPad Air. People are pretty much tired of using iPad with almost same form factor for years.

They need to make this more interesting for content creators with more robust OS, Tools, interface. I think 64 bit architecture probably targeting this device with a good processor and RAM option (like Surface Pro 2)

As SJ mentioned, if Apple doesn't cannibalize its own products (ipad AIR, MACBOOK AIR), some one else will. Today, most of the professionals other than power users and software developers, can handle most if not all tasks through a product like Note Pro or iPad Pro.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Yes.... because we all want a bigger iPhone than what the iPad already is.

Unless it can also run OSX, I see no point. This would only make sense if it detached as an optional tablet. Even then...

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
bloody hell

15" macbook pro
9.7" ipad
4.7" iphone ought to be enough screen for people

Oh come on... only speak of yourself, don't us people that prefer for example the rMini to the 9.7" iPad or would prefer a 17" MBP to a 15" one...

(Entering this on my 17" MBP for the record.)

----------

Wonder how much apple would charge of they release such beast.

Hopefully not close to the Surface 2 Pro prices - say, no more than an additional $200 on top of an iPad Air with the same storage.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Yeah, that's what people around here said about the iPad Mini too

7 inch tablets were selling pretty well before the iPad mini. 12 inch tablets make up a negligible portion of the market at the moment. And I don't see it growing much.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Then you can hear me complain that "gosh, I wish my iPad was about the size of a printed magazine page so that it would be more comfortable to read and able to display more on a screen."

I would have no problem holding something the size of a magazine. Even if the iPad Pro weighed twice as much as an iPad Air, that's still only about 2 pounds -- not exactly powerlifting.

Read all your posts you seem to be the only perhaps who wants to read magazines on a huge iPad and seem to be flaming the rest of the users on the forum. Bad eye site?

----------

I wish it was bigger so I can see 10 web pages all next to each other. ::troll::

fmaxwell

Nov 27, 2008
Read all your posts you seem to be the only perhaps who wants to read magazines on a huge iPad and seem to be flaming the rest of the users on the forum. Bad eye site?

It's spelled "eyesight." In answer, nearsighted with slight astigmatism, corrected to 20/20 with glasses. Without glasses, the screen is still tack-sharp. That's why I can do SMD soldering and other close-up precision work. And it's why I want something that can display schematic diagrams, wiring diagrams, and service manuals.

And I'm annoyed with people who are trying to discourage the production of something that would be darned useful to me and to many others. They act as if the existence of this choice would somehow harm them. Some of us do more than play Candy Crush and check messages on Facebook.

Last edited:

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
Today, you have won the internet.

I'm STILL laughing :D

Honestly though, I don't see the benefit of something like this. Unless it's meant to be (if true) a rival to Lenovo's AIO line-up, by being touted as a mobile version of those.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Agree.
I have the Wacom Bluetooth Creative Stylus currently but the palm rejection and accuracy is still disappointing.

An understatment. Anyone waiting for the ipad pro should take a second look at the surface pro 2. Today i am watching you tube clips side by side with a pdf of the related text. Its just awesome. I have the option to swap in one note and take pen notes and draw diagrams. Ios has its place--i just need more

Tom66

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2014
Apple should just call this the iPhone 6 and blow the large smartphone commentators out of the water.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
An understatment. Anyone waiting for the ipad pro should take a second look at the surface pro 2. Today i am watching you tube clips side by side with a pdf of the related text. Its just awesome. I have the option to swap in one note and take pen notes and draw diagrams. Ios has its place--i just need more

Exactly. This is why I also stated above the Pro, if it indeed comes with Wacom support, should cost a lot less than the Surface Pro 2. After all, you can run true desktop-grade apps on the latter, and not just dumbed-down mobile ones.

----------

7 inch tablets were selling pretty well before the iPad mini. 12 inch tablets make up a negligible portion of the market at the moment. And I don't see it growing much.

A LOT of us (incl. me) that use Wacom tablets / pens on a daily basis would happily get a 12" Wacom-enabled tablet, assuming it's worth paying for. (Read: a, say, 32GB 12" iPad Pro for $1100 is no match for, say, the 256GB/8GB Surface Pro 2 offered at $1200. No sane person would pay that much for a device only running mobile apps - as has also been proved by the lukewarm success of the overpriced Samsung Note Tab series. The latter is just too expensive compared to a desktop tablet with OS upgrade support for at least five years to come, based on MS' earlier OS compatibility track record. Heck, I can even use Windows 7 on my 2003 HP TC1100...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.