Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
You know absolutely nothing about ios process management, apparently.

That doesn't dispute what I said. Just look at the facts.

Switching tabs with other apps shown as active in the app switcher: tabs reload.

Killing all those other apps (that apple claims are doing nothing and using no ram or other resources) and then going back to safari and switching tabs: tabs appear instantly, no reload.

The point in question is whether there is benefit to quitting apps. Regardless of what anyone "knows about ios process management", the benefit of quitting apps is right there to see in front of our very eyes.

If you have an actual argument to dispute that, I'd love to hear it.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
That doesn't dispute what I said. Just look at the facts.

People can go down the rabbit hole of developer jargon, and I can go by my own user experience which gets tarnished by the current lack of RAM in Apple devices.

I don't even bother really using my iPad for anything other than Netflix at this point. My job has lots of web forms and I've lost TONS of work to tab reloads. I can't even navigate away from a web form to do research or all work gets lost.

These days I pretty much use only my MBA and Galaxy S5.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
First, RAM does not interface to NAND. It has to go through the memory or bus controller.

Second, I designed microprocessors for 13 years, and I don't know what a "qualified electronics engineer" is.

Third, the schematic shows pins like ALE and CLE that would be found on NAND flash and not DRAM and appears to be MISSING standard DRAM pins (like RAS, CAS, etc.)

Fourth, the DRAM would be in the CPU package, whereas the schematic says the chip in question is its own BGA package.

So you're clearly wrong, and I urge whatever agency granted you "qualified" status to revoke it ;-)

Thanks for getting involved. It is refreshing to hear from someone who actually knows what they are talking about, instead of people who think they know, but don't.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I'm so mad about this. Even though my phone works flawlessly with 1gb, my friends make fun of me for it all the time.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
How is filling 64gb, or ~50gb free space for storage after OS and byte conversion, exaggerating? I think you may be joking for effect. When I got my first iOS device in 2011 I filled that 64gb on day 1 and back then my music library was half of what it is now. Now I need to enable 128kbps so I can fit all my music on (that is when iTunes lets me sync data to it).

Now our video, music, photo and app libraries are huge and we can't stuff on. Basically now my iPhone is 75% music, 25% apps. My iPad is 75% photos, 20% apps, 5% music (Filled with a most-played smart playlist). I used to keep all my Faces photos on my iPhone but those had to go. Now there's too much juggling and predicting what I'll want on it.

My point was that you called 64GB "paltry", when in fact, we all know that would be:

# Chicken

# Pheasant

# Guinea fowl

# Partridge

:p

----------

i.e. you got owned.

Are we 12 years old, playing RPG on a Playstation here?

*sigh* :D

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
First, while I'd like 2 gigs of RAM, I don't think the current experience is subpar at all. I think it's the best out there. So we disagree on that point.

Second, it was the tone of your original post that I took issue with, insinuating that you knew better how to design a smartphone that the engineers who do it for a living.

Third, If you had actually posted this exact sentence as your first post, I probably would have just nodded my head and moved on.

Just because you feel the engineers made a bad call doesn't mean you need to insult them. Use words that actually convey the message you want them to.

You've been using that word yet nowhere in the post is there an insult. Unless you can't tell the difference between rejecting a notion and an insult. I think you're looking for something to fight about personally.

But whatever. Carry on.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
I must not push my iPhone 5 very hard because memory does not seem to be an issue.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
So now this is debunked, what are all the spinsters who claimed more than 1gb wasn't needed (when it appeared that it wasn't being included), going to say once Apple deems it is?

ogremoustro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The 16GB iPhone 5 was £529 on release.

The 16GB iPhone 5s was/still is £549.

Also, just remembered they increased the iPhone 5 base model over the iPhone 4s. The 16GB 4s was £499 and the iPhone 5, as I just mentioned was £529.

Ah. I don't think they've ever increased the price here in the U.S.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Can't say that I'm surprised, though disappointed.

What good is a 64 bit processor and OS when the ram is so limited

I have never seen an out of memory with iPhone. More is not always better, I would much prefer a tighter and optimised code. I recently traded my iPhone 5s for an Xperia Z2 to see if the grass was greener. The Xperia has 3GB, but my iPhone 5s was a much smoother experience in everything from internet to gaming...

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Irrelevant but cue people going crazy over it.

Guy has his signature announce every single overpriced incremental spec upgrade he has ever purchased.
Claims that doubling the RAM is irrelevant.

Only on MacRumors.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Great. I own an iPad Air and the RAM is just insufficient.
Apps keep reloading while multitasking . I often lose progress and need to retype stuff, like for instance I was searching tyres on ebay and set all the parameters for my car .
I switched to safari to look up something. Switched back to ebay and it relaunched the ebay app and I had to do all the search again.

That's just two (!) apps ....

But I guess its ok for the iSheep. Clearly I am using the device wrong. And 1 GB of RAM is more than enough.
But if apple releases an iphone 6s with 2 GB RAM. Then we will praise them to heaven... The competition will have at least 3GB RAM by the time, but you know... 2GB will be more than enough right? ....

Lmao. You call them iSheep when you're the dummy that bought an iPad Air. Anyone with a lick of computer knowledge knew to stay away from the Air or the mini. So while you are a hypocrite, you are also a sheep.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
So much anger, aggression, supercilliousness, arrogance... people, can't you just be kind to each other? I know it's a lot to ask, but being nice never gets you hated :)

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
1GB? Welcome to 2009... no wonder browsing and multitasking on an iPhone is horrible.

I know - it's no wonder it's horrible! And I was having such a pleasant time browsing and multitasking on my iphone 5 before this random sketchy machine translated rumor about an as yet unreleased phone came and messed everything up!

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Really? As many as he wants. Will you also have an issue if he chooses Pepsi over Coke, too?

If tabbed browsing is supported by the OS, then Apple should strive to make the overall user experience as hassle-free as possible without compromise.

It wasn't really an either or question. He can have as Coke, Pepsi, or whatever soft drink he wants. Of course eventually he will go into diabetic shock. Kinda like Safari, Chrome, or any other browser with to many tabs open.

As many as you want isn't a useful measurement. Since even a computer with modern specs has finite limit, the question is a reasonable one.

Last edited:

slash7844

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
Oh. But even still, 85%? Is that really true? If so that is huge. I still don't get it, iphones are EVERYWHERE. How can android be more popular. Unless that is worldwide and if so nobody must be using iphone outside of the USA.

Android market share is at 84.7% and iphone is sitting at 11.7%, according to IDC.

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

Android is also the dominating in US with about 52% market share vs. 41% of iPhone. Just because you see more iphones around you doesn't mean it applies to the rest of the world.

My nephew was so confident that 90% of the world's PCs are Macs because all of his friends are using either MBA or MBP at his college.

It's a huge world.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
So much anger, aggression, supercilliousness, arrogance... people, can't you just be kind to each other? I know it's a lot to ask, but being nice never gets you hated :)

No.

Sincerely,
The Internet.

P.S. We hate you. :D

Android market share is at 84.7% and iphone is sitting at 11.7%, according to IDC.

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

Android is also the dominating in US with about 52% market share vs. 41% of iPhone. Just because you see more iphones around you doesn't mean it applies to the rest of the world.

My nephew was so confident that 90% of the world's PCs are Macs because all of his friends are using either MBA or MBP at his college.

It's a huge world.

That's not really fair. It's Apple vs Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Sony, Google, etc. And considering the price of iPhones starts in the high hundreds, there is no Apple representation in the low-end market.

A more fair breakdown would be of smartphones by manufacturer and price. I expect that Apple would be well ahead on that chart.

And before someone accuses me of being an Apple fanboy, I own a cheap HTC phone, and am not particularly interested in buying an iPhone. Too expensive for what they are.

Now, on to the main topic: As someone who hasn't read all 19 pages of posts, I can assume the conclusion is that this rumour is stierscheiße? Has anyone suggested what it could actually be, if it is real? Perhaps a separate 1GB of flash memory dedicated to iOS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.