Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I upgraded my iPod touch to iOS 9 Beta 2, but was surprised to find out that almost none of the features touted at the keynote are available. So far I've noticed these are missing:
  • Character preview option (Character preview has been a feature since iOS 1.0 and now they're not letting you to get it back on the iPod touch?)
  • Scrubber in Photos (Yet the Tips app tells you it's there—see attachments below)
  • Proactive assistant
  • Drawing and checklist in Notes
I hope I'm wrong, but Apple seems to be leaving out most of the features from the device.

IMG_0004.PNG IMG_0038.PNG

devinthomas

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
I guess that confirms that they really did build a stripped down base build of iOS 9.

In the past, Apple reportedly put the full version of the operating system on older devices and then disabled features that performed particularly poorly. For iOS 9, Apple is apparently starting with a barebones version of the operating system and enabling features one at a time. As usual, owners of older devices will miss out on some features, but they'll still get the underlying improvements, API changes, and security updates that newer phones and tablets get. (SOURCE)

Amazing. Just curious, how's performance?

blindside217

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
[*]Character preview option (Character preview has been a feature since iOS 1.0 and now they're not letting you to get it back on the iPod touch?)
Are you referring to the box that would pop up when you press a keyboard key showing you which key you have pressed? I am noticing that it is missing occasionally even on my iPhone 6.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Talking about character missing, there is a setting in keyboard setting. You can just type "character" in search box to find it.

Checklist is available in iPad mini, so iPod should be available, although sketch does requires A6 or higher, I think.

I have no phone with A5 processor so I have no idea why proactive is not available in iPod touch.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
iOS 9 defaults the keyboard to showing the visual key presses rather than Character Preview (you can still turn it on in Settings/General/Keyboard) and I don't see why that won't be available for the iPod Touch.

As far as Proactive, I don't think it's available for iPhone 4s but not sure about he iPod Touch. It does have an A5 processor like the iPhone 5, but it's clocked at a slower speed so it may not be able to handle some processor intensive features.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
iOS 9 defaults the keyboard to showing the visual key presses rather than Character Preview (you can still turn it on in Settings/General/Keyboard) and I don't see why that won't be available for the iPod Touch.

As far as Proactive, I don't think it's available for iPhone 4s but not sure about he iPod Touch. It does have an A5 processor like the iPhone 5, but it's clocked at a slower speed so it may not be able to handle some processor intensive features.
But iPhone 4s and iPod touch fifth generation, and iPad mini, are all using A5. The only difference might be the clock speed. So if iPhone 4s doesn't support it, iPod would likely not as well.

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
But iPhone 4s and iPod touch fifth generation, and iPad mini, are all using A5. The only difference might be the clock speed. So if iPhone 4s doesn't support it, iPod would likely not as well.
This is not present on iPad 3 as well.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
At least the 4S and Touch 5G has wallet.... Something all 8 iPads don't have :D

And that iPad 2 doesn't have the new Siri design feature.... Oh wait.

Not surprised... I knew all the A5/A5X devices wouldn't get the new spotlight feature but proactive... Even drawing for notes....

Hey at least nexus one got a bare bones version of gingerbread.... And no one is complaining about that...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

Not surprised... I knew all the A5/A5X devices wouldn't get the new spotlight feature but proactive... Even drawing for notes....

Hey at least nexus one got a bare bones version of gingerbread.... And no one is complaining about that...
Apple this time seems weight system security more than functionality.

Reactions: marf1million

malih

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
Oh my, I just sold mine a couple of weeks ago but I did look at a video of 4S running the Beta.
It also have the keyboard Trackpad feature.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm surprised iPad supports wallet???

Didn't iPads have a Passbook before???
Pretty sure this is only for the Air 2, as it has Touch ID and the secure enclave so it supports Apple Pay purchases online.
I don't think the actual app is available though.

In any case, my non-Touch ID iPad Air on iOS 9 has no mention of Wallet or Apple Pay anywhere.

dinepada

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
Perú

And moves more pixels (screen is bigger)

dinepada

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
Perú

drawing should be enabled, its not the super-duper feature which only A8 and A8x can handle, several apps cand do this in the A5 and not the defaul notes app... Apple please!

malih

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
drawing should be enabled, its not the super-duper feature which only A8 and A8x can handle, several apps cand do this in the A5 and not the defaul notes app... Apple please!

There's always Notability if you really need to draw in notes, and that app have iCloud sync too.

For me personally I'd rather Apple choose performance over flashy new features, like the way iOS 9 seems to be doing.

rafidanis99atmacrumors

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2015
Jakarta, Indonesia
I upgraded my iPod touch to iOS 9 Beta 2, but was surprised to find out that almost none of the features touted at the keynote are available. So far I've noticed these are missing:
  • Character preview option (Character preview has been a feature since iOS 1.0 and now they're not letting you to get it back on the iPod touch?)
  • Scrubber in Photos (Yet the Tips app tells you it's there—see attachments below)
  • Proactive assistant
I hope I'm wrong, but Apple seems to be leaving out most of the features from the device.

View attachment 564053 View attachment 564054
Because your iPod Touch is having limited support due to A5 processor and Apple didn't give a full feature (used in newer iPhone [5/5C/5S/6/6 Plus] and iPad [4/Air/Air 2/Mini Retina or 2/Mini 3] on this device alongside with iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and iPad Mini (first generation). But if you have iPod Touch 6th Generation with A8 processor, I'm not sure this device (iPod Touch 6) will get the same as iPhone 5/5C/5S/6/6 Plus and some extra features used only for iPhone and iPod Touch. So we have to keep that in mind until the next beta or final build.

rafidanis99atmacrumors

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2015
Jakarta, Indonesia
Not for the 6th Generation. Because Apple will form a 3/4 iPhone support (1/4 is iPhone only) on iPod Touch 6th Generation in next beta 6 or final

rafidanis99atmacrumors

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2015
Jakarta, Indonesia
Pretty sure this is only for the Air 2, as it has Touch ID and the secure enclave so it supports Apple Pay purchases online.
I don't think the actual app is available though.

In any case, my non-Touch ID iPad Air on iOS 9 has no mention of Wallet or Apple Pay anywhere.
I'm not sure iPad supported "Passbook/Wallet" in this beta, but currently the "Passbook/Wallet" (application) was only available for iPhone and iPod Touch. Later in next beta or final, iPad will support "Passbook/Wallet". And this iPhone/iPod Touch feature used in iPad (not for A5) was available currently in iOS 9 Beta and in nearby future, it will permanently supported as well.

rafidanis99atmacrumors

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2015
Jakarta, Indonesia
  • Proactive assistant

View attachment 564053 View attachment 564054
Is it 5th or 6th? 6th will get the 4 on the list (I'm not sure it will does or not?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.