Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hey guys,

since the release date for both the mac and the display is approaching fast - has anybody thought of alternatives for the outrageously expensive stand?
I know I know we have to consider it just as a 6000$ Display but still- I‘m surprised there are no kickstarter projects out there... It should be possible to make something without this crazy nice shift and tilt arm, but that just does the job for way less money?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Literally almost any VESA mount will work with the adapter.

Buyers need to factor in the weight of the screen ; 17 lbs ( ~ 8 kg). ( Also the dimensions if it is some kind of pedestal stand that isn't "screwed in on the 'bottom', desk mount side of stand. Things like torque (the weight at the end of a lever) are a factor too ).

The other minor factor is that this monitor requires active cooling air flow. ( two fans inside). If mounted in a location with diminished air flow that won't be good outcome long term.

The $25 discount special may not work all that well . If the monitor falls over and cracks, then that lots of money to get it fixed. There are definitely places to land that are under $500 , but there is large number of the low end stuff and/or stuff aimed at low wattage, consumer TVs that should prudently be skipped.

Reactions: OkiRun

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Hey guys,

since the release date for both the mac and the display is approaching fast - has anybody thought of alternatives for the outrageously expensive stand?
I know I know we have to consider it just as a 6000$ Display but still- I‘m surprised there are no kickstarter projects out there... It should be possible to make something without this crazy nice shift and tilt arm, but that just does the job for way less money?
https://www.ergotron.com/en-au/products/mounts shows a lot of stands. Newegg, Amazon, B&H are other places to look.

Reactions: flygbuss and chabig

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Yes I get that - but I‘m talking about something aesthetically acceptable ;)

The Apple stand isn't just solely satisfying aesthetics. It has some different objectives. One, enough internal inertia that it doesn't require being screwed/clamped to the desk to keep the monitor from pushing it around.

If talking about how many folks are going to be make a clone (looks almost the same). I doubt there are going to be many but I'm sure one or two will take a stab at it.

But there is looks reasonably good stuff out there now. Just crank up the filters to toss the cheapest stuff and push up the weight capacity to where 8-10 lbs over what monitor is. ( and get out of "on the edge" range products. ) if doing "push/pull" the monitor adjustments.

Reactions: airdrop

shuto

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
I posted this in another thread, but it helps here...

I’m planning to buy a Ergotron LX arm to use with Pro Display XDR...

https://www.ergotron.com/en-gb/products/product-details/45-241#/?color=polished aluminum

I think it looks nicer in matte black personally. And when its an arm behind the monitor you won't be able to see it much. And I'm liking the idea of no stand foot getting in the way of keyboard!

It says it can hold more than the weight of XDR, and has vesa compatible mount 75mm holes and 100mm holes (my guess is XDR uses 100mm holes)

It looks like a high quality arm and wirecutter reviews it here...
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-monitor-arms/

I'm going to go matt. Very happy Apple have made a matt monitor eventually. Happy to pay extra £1000 for that, not £1000 for the stand.

airdrop

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2011
I'm going to go matt. Very happy Apple have made a matt monitor eventually. Happy to pay extra £1000 for that, not £1000 for the stand.

LX Desk Monitor Arm (Matte black) for $250 looks like great option, the limit is 11 kg so should be good thanks for sharing.

In my situation I prefer the stand tbh, even if this mean paying additional $700 for it (what to do). Especially if you can expense that against tax, then the price is kind of ok (acceptable at least)

Good luck!

shuto

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
LX Desk Monitor Arm (Matte black) for $250 looks like great option, the limit is 11 kg so should be good thanks for sharing.

In my situation I prefer the stand tbh, even if this mean paying additional $700 for it (what to do). Especially if you can expense that against tax, then the price is kind of ok (acceptable at least)

Good luck!
I'm trying to look at it like, what else could I do with the $700 difference? More ram, beefier GPU, other software. All those things will help my work more than the stand. Sure won't be as pretty though.

Reactions: airdrop

airdrop

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2011
I'm trying to look at it like, what else could I do with the $700 difference? More ram, beefier GPU, other software. All those things will help my work more than the stand. Sure won't be as pretty though.

Yeah, it’s probably much wiser way
$700 is a full year Adobe subscription, so probably you are not wrong here.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I also would like the real stand of course. But 1k.... it definitely hurts.
Like really, the entire system for about 16k is rough for a freelance editor.
Im currently just aiming for the Mac, not the display, but the longer I’m editing on an ultra wide screen right now, the more I begin to mouthwater about the XDR as it’s basically a higher ultra wide display with insanely great image quality and retina....
I do have some really super nice dell 5k displays, but I really begin to love that ultra wide screen estate in the timeline of premiere at one of my client’s.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
It’s my belief that apple will sell a more standard stand for this monitor if not when BTO numbers are released, then soon thereafter.

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
I have the ergotron LX series in the Studio and i like it a lot.
Greatly built and it comes with cable management that makes the desk look clean and tidy. And of course you’ll get great flexibility..

Reactions: shuto and airdrop

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

In my situation I prefer the stand tbh, even if this mean paying additional $700 for it (what to do).

It is about a $500 difference not $700. You haven't accounted for the $199 VESA Mount for the XDR. Even if skip Apple's $999 stand, you still don't effectively have the VESA solution provisioned. ( the standard mount is attached with an Apple tool .... those two are separate. ). "Out of the box". the XDR is only ready for Apple's stand.
I suppose there is some "green" , save the planet explanation of why that isn't in the box with the monitor in the first place, but it does happen to help put money in the Scrooge McDuck money pit too. (or at least help cover the cost of the $999 stands slow moving inventory costs. )

$200-300 stand + $200 discounted against the $999 pricetag is probably what Apple is hoping some folks will just throw on top of a $6+ K price tag anyway.

P.S. if there was a "Go fund me" spinoff product for the XDR, then I would suspect it would be for this $199 VESA adapter more so than the stand itself. Whatever mechanical do-dad Apple has done to make attaching VESA harder I suspect some folks will be willing to pay to get around. ( Apple probably has a design Patent on the do-dad but that may be a way to tapdance around that. )

Last edited:
Reactions: OkiRun and airdrop

shuto

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
I like your thinking!
You are absolutely right, forgot about the $200 mount. So now the cost of the stand is even more attractive (justified)... haha thank you!
Nope I won't be convinced to buy the stand! VESA mount is $199 (£199), the arm is £125 = £324

Stand is $999 (£999), so thats a saving of £675 to not buy the stand. Almost the cost of an iPad Pro to go along with your new Mac Pro, or software etc...

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Nope I won't be convinced to buy the stand! VESA mount is $199 (£199), the arm is £125 = £324

If dig into the tech specs that stand doesn't work buy itself. It caps out at 14 lbs for what is in the box. You'll need a grommet adapter ( another $25) and a hole in the desk from the grommet to latch into. The "hole in the desk" cost will be different depending upon context. For some that is high cost.

Also may have to move up to the "taller pole" option because the monitor will sag about 2-4" inches ( that stand is raised height limited at higher than 14 lbs weights also. )

Stand is $999 (£999), so thats a saving of £675 to not buy the stand. Almost the cost of an iPad Pro to go along with your new Mac Pro, or software etc...

$500-700 could also buy a decent amount of 3rd party RAM DIMMs or a M.2 SSD PCI-e card along with some SSD(s) for inside the Mac Pro.

airdrop

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2011
$650 is the additional price for the stand.

Considering business scenario, where you can apply for the tax return for every expense you made, the end number will look slightly different as well (in EU you can dedicate between 18-32%, so $535-445%, not bad at all).

But I agree, for most people, who thinks rationally the price is still not comfortable.

Reactions: OkiRun

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Hey guys,

Kickstarter? You do realize this is not a consumer device? It's a professional reference monitor. If you want one for bling, then bite the bullet and buy the blingy stand too.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
$650 is the additional price for the stand.

Considering business scenario, where you can apply for the tax return for every expense you made, the end number will look slightly different as well (in EU you can dedicate between 18-32%, so $535-445%, not bad at all).

But I agree, for most people, who thinks rationally the price is still not comfortable.
It is still possible that the monitor will come with a standard - stand. Apple is quiet on this front not affirming nor denying.

shuto

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
If dig into the tech specs that stand doesn't work buy itself. It caps out at 14 lbs for what is in the box. You'll need a grommet adapter ( another $25) and a hole in the desk from the grommet to latch into. The "hole in the desk" cost will be different depending upon context. For some that is high cost.
Also may have to move up to the "taller pole" option because the monitor will sag about 2-4" inches ( that stand is raised height limited at higher than 14 lbs weights also. )
From their website, The ergotron LX stand supports 7 to 25 lbs monitors (The XDR display is 16.49 lbs).

There are two methods of attaching the arm, one with a behind the desk clamp and another through a hole in the desk. (clamp seems better to me!)
https://www.ergotron.com/en-gb/products/product-details/45-241#/?color=black

But maybe you are right that it doesn't go high enough, its really hard to work out! It says it supports 34 inch screens though.

Any other visa arm ideas?

shuto

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
It is still possible that the monitor will come with a standard - stand. Apple is quiet on this front not affirming nor denying.
I'm 100% sure its not coming with a standard stand in the box. Tech specs page ...

In the Box
  • Pro Display XDR
  • Power lead (2m)
  • Apple Thunderbolt 3 Pro Cable (2m)
  • Polishing cloth

shuto

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
Incase it helps anyone wondering about a third party monitor arm - I emailed ergotron support and they said the Ergotron LX arm is fully compatible with the Pro Display XDR. They replied...

The Ergotron LX Arm is fully compatible with the Apple Pro Display XDR, See below:
https://www.ergotron.com/en-gb/tools/mount-finder?manufacturerid=949&modelid=72269

So yeah think I'm gonna get that one. I'll try to remember to update this post with how I get on with it.

Reactions: chfilm

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
From their website, The ergotron LX stand supports 7 to 25 lbs monitors (The XDR display is 16.49 lbs).

There are two methods of attaching the arm, one with a behind the desk clamp and another through a hole in the desk. (clamp seems better to me!)
https://www.ergotron.com/en-gb/products/product-details/45-241#/?color=black

But maybe you are right that it doesn't go high enough, its really hard to work out! It says it supports 34 inch screens though.

From the linked website above. Features section. Then click on Technical Specs.

"...
  • Weight Capacity: 7 to 25 lbs (3.2 to 11.3 kg). With monitors greater than 20 lbs (9.1 kg) in weight, the vertical range of motion may be reduced up to 4.5" (11 cm) for a total height range of 8.5" (22 cm)
  • Note: If installed on WorkFit-T or WorkFit-TL, maximum allowable monitor weight is reduced to 14 lbs (6.4 kg). A separately order Grommet Mount (98-017) is required for attachment
"

The "WorkFit-xxx" products are the desktops that they also sell. The edges aren't conducive to holding that weight with the standard clamp they ship. There may be corner case desks that clamp OK, but there will also be desktops that have same constraints as the WorkFit.

The XDR monitor is on the heavy side. (most folks don't encase their monitors in miltary grade aluminum which weighs substantially more than plastic. ). Lots of VESA solutions will get filtered out by just the higher weight constraints.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.