Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2020
^^^^Looks like it should. But, IMO, this one looks a bit more robust:

Lou

I looked at that one as well but it does not allow for screen rotation

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
I looked at a number of solutions and didn't find anything that I trusted to support an expensive monitor with; that didn't damage my desks; and that would not have "arms" that risked sticking out further to the back (so that it would interfere with an already narrow passage there.
In the end I just swallowed and got the apple stands.

I must say the stand -while expensive not arguing that- is an impressive big, heavy chunk of aluminium that does its task splendidly so far.

Tip when buying any support for your XDR: make sure it goes low enough, the monitor even in landscape is high, if you're used to e.g. a 27" Apple thunderbolt: the XDR in it's lowest place on the stand has the bottom of the image on screen at the same height as the thunderbolt monitor, but it's higher and so overall the centre already goes higher, it's even much worse in portrait mode: IMHO unusably high up there when you sit in front of it.

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2020
I looked at a number of solutions and didn't find anything that I trusted to support an expensive monitor with; that didn't damage my desks; and that would not have "arms" that risked sticking out further to the back (so that it would interfere with an already narrow passage there.
In the end I just swallowed and got the apple stands.

I must say the stand -while expensive not arguing that- is an impressive big, heavy chunk of aluminium that does its task splendidly so far.

Tip when buying any support for your XDR: make sure it goes low enough, the monitor even in landscape is high, if you're used to e.g. a 27" Apple thunderbolt: the XDR in it's lowest place on the stand has the bottom of the image on screen at the same height as the thunderbolt monitor, but it's higher and so overall the centre already goes higher, it's even much worse in portrait mode: IMHO unusably high up there when you sit in front of it.

So, you like it or don't like it?

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
So, you like it or don't like it?
The XDRs: love them (but won't ever consider using them in portrait mode myself - that is useless to me)
The stand: like it, it does what it needs to do, no complaints. But well also nothing to be exited about: it's just a stand.

Last edited:

elliottcable

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2007
Chicago, IL
I've used products from Monitors in Motion's "Boa" line for years; and I just picked up yet another of their arms for my new XDR setup.

(Forgive the messy desk; I'm in the middle of re-building my workstation when I took this photo.)

IMG_4916.jpeg

If you buy from them, note that the XDRs are too large to be mounted horizontally side-by-side on their "double" arm — In the above photo on the right, I'm using a "triple" arm, with no monitor mounted in the middle.

They're gorgeous, machined-aluminum hunks, and feel absolutely rock-solid while still having finger-tip adjustment. They're pretty damn pricey, but I mean, they're still cheaper than Apple's first-party stand — and way, way more functional.

Also, for anybody wondering, the auto-rotation still works. :p

Reactions: OkiRun

straightMacin

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2019
Chicago, IL
I've used products from Monitors in Motion's "Boa" line for years; and I just picked up yet another of their arms for my new XDR setup.

(Forgive the messy desk; I'm in the middle of re-building my workstation when I took this photo.)

View attachment 900263

If you buy from them, note that the XDRs are too large to be mounted horizontally side-by-side on their "double" arm — In the above photo on the right, I'm using a "triple" arm, with no monitor mounted in the middle.

They're gorgeous, machined-aluminum hunks, and feel absolutely rock-solid while still having finger-tip adjustment. They're pretty damn pricey, but I mean, they're still cheaper than Apple's first-party stand — and way, way more functional.

Also, for anybody wondering, the auto-rotation still works. :p

I’m using three of their Mantis 20 arms on two poles and have found they just barely work with side-by-side landscape XDR’s. Fantastic products that really match the aesthetics of the screens.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

I'm curious how stable they are for you in terms of picking up vibrations from the desk. It's the biggest issue I have with a lot of monitor arms/stands I've tried so far for UW displays.

I'm currently using one of these: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1079417-REG/chief_kontour_k2c110s_k2c_articulating.html

My problem is that even these get a bit of vibration going for my 38" UW if I'm typing at full speed. I still like them better than most monitor arms I've tried though. The XDR is about the same weight as my 38" UW (~.4lbs lighter) and more compact, so it would probably do better than mine on the Kontour arms.

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2020
I’m using three of their Mantis 20 arms on two poles and have found they just barely work with side-by-side landscape XDR’s. Fantastic products that really match the aesthetics of the screens.

Wish I could use one of those - but, my desk is not a typical size so fastening it like that will not work

thzim

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2020
I am using since 3 weeks the ERGOTRON 45-490-216 LX arm and I can recommend it!

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Which monitor are you using? I'm still juggling on getting Ergotron HX or Humanscale M10.

Is it worth to get the Apple $999 monitor stand instead of getting a monitor arm? I'm looking forward to getting a XDR display and just wonder

Depends. A good monitor arm with a stable desk will work quite well, and beat pretty much any cheap monitor stand. However, the better the stand, the harder it is to equal the stability with a monitor arm. The XDR stand looks like a very good stand, but is it worth a grand? That's a much harder question, IMO.

But if you are looking for stability needed for a standing desk (my particular demon), then there's a number of monitor arms that look good but will magnify wobble from the desk, to the monitor, as they simply cannot be as rigid as a good stand. I've got a Kontour K1 model that uses a more fixed arm. It helps a lot with the wobble if braced properly against the desk, and is a little over 1/8th the price of the XDR stand.

The Boa also looks like a really solid option, although I don't know if it's better or worse than the K1 design in terms of stability. Both of these are still going to be a lot cheaper.

But really, it boils down to: do you want a monitor arm or not. And how much range of motion are you going to be using day-to-day? If you really just need something to hold it up in a fixed position, you can get a more stable mount with the Boa or K1 for the same price or less compared to an arm that is meant to be moved regularly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.