Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
I especially hate that Delta now isn't coming to the App Store in Europe. Now as a European I'm forced to install this other store if I want it. Some people kept claiming that people who don't want to install other stores would never have to but this was always going to happen.
Imagine the state if CTF is invalidated by the EU. I think there will be an exodus of apps from AppStore. Apple will learn the importance of developers the hard way now.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
And the App Store is part of that integrated ecosystem.

I believe that it boils down to iOS not giving users enough rope to hang themselves with. App restrictions mean lesser chance of malware and software piracy. This is what allowed developers to earn more on iOS compared to android, even with the latter's greater market share (the implication is that when users can't easily sideload pirated copies of an app, they are more inclined to actually spend money purchasing it via legitimate channels). And it's hard to argue this when the iOS App Store earns more than twice what the Play Store brings in despite having only a fraction of the users.
I already indicated it would be perfectly acceptable for Apple to continue to maintain a ban on malicious or IP-stealing apps. Such a ban need not extend to adult-oriented apps nor apps such as emulators that were banned up until days ago nor game streaming apps that were also banned until recently. If Apple wanted to remain the sole source of apps as part of an integrated ecosystem, among other things, they should have loosened up restrictions on what could be on the app store. Apple wanted their cake and to eat it too. Being able to get apps outside of the app store does not suddenly negate Apple's superior hardware and software, nor their products' interoperability and compatibility.

Perhaps it's simply a difference of opinion, but Apple's overzealous restrictions on what apps can be on iOS and their commissions on purchases does not seem to me to be one of the major drivers of Apple's success.

30% is not unreasonable compared to what developers used to get by distributing their software via physical channels (and was actually preceded by Nintendo). So charging 30% may seem overkill compared to 0%, but it can also be seen as a steal compared to say 50% or even 70%.
Hard to determine what's actually reasonable if there's no iOS app distribution competition to facilitate that discovery.

People say - I am not losing anything by not venturing outside the App Store. The same can be said for the google play store as well, and still we see app developers earning less on Android, we see a less vibrant app market, and this is what you all truly think that aping a less successful software distribution model on Android is what is truly best for iOS users?
Do developers earn more because the iOS app market is "more vibrant" (however you'd like to interpret that I guess) or simply because iPhone users on average earn more money?

"iPhone users have a 43.7% higher average salary than Android users."

That difference in user income is quite substantial.

Last edited:
Reactions: SlCKB0Y

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Which isn't the best experience.

How nice it would be to handle all payment and subscriptions in the Mac App Store.
Having another app store doesn't prevent you doing that.
I prefer the option of increased variety and increased functionality. I mean, how does me having the choice of two stores affect you using the one of your choice?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: iOS Geek

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Imagine the state if CTF is invalidated by the EU. I think there will be an exodus of apps from AppStore. Apple will learn the importance of developers the hard way now.
My guess is that Apple will simply find another way to try and make up for the shortfall, such as increasing the annual developer fee.
Hard to determine what's actually reasonable if there's no iOS app distribution competition to facilitate that discovery.
What do you think of the 30% cut charged by game consoles such as Nintendo, Sony, Xbox, as well as Steam?
Do developers earn more because the iOS app market is "more vibrant" (however you'd like to interpret that I guess) or simply because iPhone users on average earn more money?

"iPhone users have a 43.7% higher average salary than Android users."
And there are, as so many people loved to remind me back in the day, 4 times as many android users as iPhone users around the world. The play store would make it up in volume, and developers would abandon the iOS App Store in droves, they said.

Funny how things worked out in the end. But to your question, I would say both come together to create a virtuous cycle. Apple has aggregated the best customers in the world, which is why you see apps like notability, fantastical, lumafusion and Apollo released as iOS-only apps, because Apple makes it lucrative for a developer to focus on only 1 of the two major smartphone OSes in the world. Even games like Grimvalor, Battleheart Legacy and Slay the Spire would come to iOS first.

Meta voluntarily uses the Mac App Store along with Microsoft and Slack. Why would they leave Apple's store on iOS? Nobody spends money on WhatsApp and the last thing Meta wants is to pay more money only to make it harder to install their free apps.
One of the apps headed for the AltStore is a clipboard manager app which uses location settings to keep itself active in the background 24/7. While it does sound like something necessary for the app to work as intended, it also does not sound great for battery life (it's akin to leaving maps running in the background all day). This sounds like something that Meta would love to do with their Facebook app so it can continue to track users 24/7 and for all we know, the extra data might even be able to offset the cost of the CTF?

Reactions: jlnr

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
One of the apps headed for the AltStore is a clipboard manager app which uses location settings to keep itself active in the background 24/7. While it does sound like something necessary for the app to work as intended, it also does not sound great for battery life (it's akin to leaving maps running in the background all day). This sounds like something that Meta would love to do with their Facebook app so it can continue to track users 24/7 and for all we know, the extra data might even be able to offset the cost of the CTF?
Oh interesting, I didn't know that. But I still doubt that Meta will do it. FB doesn't need to run in the background if people have WhatsApp open in the foreground all the time anyway. Also, the OS would still warn about it, right? Or indicate that something is running. I have a geofencing app on my phone and need to confirm its permissions regularly.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
My guess is that Apple will simply find another way to try and make up for the shortfall, such as increasing the annual developer fee.
Oh, I am not talking about Apple's profit here. I am talking about the availability of apps on the app store. If the default is for an app is to be available on their website because they do not have to pay 30% tax, why would they list in the app store? See the mac app store?

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
Maybe I’m missing something, but how do I install this on my iPad in the EU (Netherlands)? I cannot use altstore PAL because smehow these marketplaces are for iPhone only, and I cannot find it in App Store because I’m not in the US…

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Maybe I’m missing something, but how do I install this on my iPad in the EU (Netherlands)? I cannot use altstore PAL because smehow these marketplaces are for iPhone only, and I cannot find it in App Store because I’m not in the US…
You can't. Delta should be available as a free download in the App Store (you get only the iPhone version on your iPad still though), but any other apps intended to be available solely in Altstore won't be available unless the developer also makes it downloadable via the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.