Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
"Apps will be cheaper!" was one of the primary arguments.

Now, you get this same app for free in the US, and pay $1.50 per year in the EU. AND, the developer is charging a fee beyond just covering his expenses, it would seem. He's not passing savings onto the user; he's charging enough to make a profit from the App. And of course he will; because now he has to manage server space, payment processors, etc.

This developer COULD have chosen to keep this app in the App store for free to the user.
“Keep this app in the App Store”?? Delta was on the EU App Store?

Reactions: Mailia

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
So that Apple is finally in competition with their AppStore and has to deliver quality. In other words, the quality that the company has been promising for years but not delivering.

Apple has ignored its rules for its own apps right from the start. Malware has been smuggled into the AppStore dozens of times. There were already apps that looked like games and turned into crypto apps after one click.

Thanks to incidents like this, we know that Apple's promises of a controlled and secure store are a lie. Nothing is checked as long as Apple gets its commission.

Alternative AppStores can change that.
Apple quality is the reason I buy them, if I wanted Android level marketplace I will buy Android.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Do you think that Delta would be available in any region of the App Store had business ran its natural course without government intervention? Is it just the biggest coincidence in the world that the App Store, after around 16 years of existence, started allowing "retro game emulators" one month after the DMA went into effect?

No, and it isn't a problem. Those who wanted emulation software would be able to switch to Android for last 15 years. If emulation is important enough Apple will loose those customers. That's how the market solves.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
This is RICH coming from you. Hahaha...so, let the market decide? Use an alternate business?
Just how steam was the superior game store than the AppStore, or that chrome was seen as the better browser than safari. But also allow users to use safari or Firefox if it’s better fitted. And only use the macappstore if that’s what you value.

And develops can distribute on the store they prefer.
Where have we heard this argument before :) So funny...
Indeed where have we heard it before
*not to mention that this argument directly conflicts with the very post you made that I was quoting from.
It doesn’t contradict what I wrote or the stance I have argued for since day 1

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
This is RICH coming from you. Hahaha...so, let the market decide? Use an alternate business?

Where have we heard this argument before :) So funny...

*not to mention that this argument directly conflicts with the very post you made that I was quoting from.
How many mobile OS’s do consumers have to choose between? Ok, now how many banks? Oh, you can’t count them all?

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I meant he could have released it in the traditional app store rather than launching an alternate app store in the EU.
Huh? But these people are expressing a legitimate concern about forking the App stores on IOS. This sentiment is independent of "emulators" and will happen over and over again. I think you're missing the argument here.
The only reason this is even an issue right now in the first place is because Apple spent the first nearly two decades of iOS’s existence banning emulator apps. Now here we are, all of 12 days into Apple allowing emulators on iOS and some folks have crocodile tears streaming down their face because Delta continues to not be available on the EU iOS App Store. If Apple hadn’t banned them, countless emulators would already be littering the iOS App Store. Give it a few more weeks or months and you there will be other emulator apps available on the EU iOS App Store. Now where are all the banking apps that we’ve been told would leave the App Store?

Reactions: Sophisticatednut

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
This wasn't my argument. We were arguing about forking IOS, and how the argument that "you can just use an alternative" is disingenuous.
Actually I was pointing out that your view of being forced to make a choice between options utterly lacks any kind of nuance. Being told to “pick an alternative” when there is only one other option is a very different scenario than being told to pick an alternative when dozens or hundreds of alternatives exist.

Essentially you tried to say what’s good for the goose is good for the gander while failing to recognize the significant differences between the two scenarios where a consumer has to make a choice.

Last edited:

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Hopefully this might force Apple to be less arbitrary in rejecting apps that may compete with their lackluster offerings.

Reactions: f12003_ga

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
And you want to guess what we can do if you don’t want to use an alternative AppStore? You don’t install Delta and download an alternative competitor.
So one question...

Why is it okay for people to tell me that I don't have to install apps outside of the App Store if I don't want to (even if it means giving up on an app that I may want to use because the developer decides to not make it available inside the App Store), but I can't tell people to get an android phone if they want a feature that isn't available on the iPhone?

So it's okay for other people to expect me to disadvantage myself so that they can benefit, but I can't have the same expectation of others???

2Xtreme21

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
Will this somehow “replace” the original AltStore requiring a PC/Mac with AltServer running if I buy this? Does the purchased version still allow side-loading? I use AltStore to side-load Apollo and I’d rather that not be interfered with.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
The only reason this is even an issue right now in the first place is because Apple spent the first nearly two decades of iOS’s existence banning emulator apps. Now here we are, all of 12 days into Apple allowing emulators on iOS and some folks have crocodile tears streaming down their face because Delta continues to not be available on the EU iOS App Store. If Apple hadn’t banned them, countless emulators would already be littering the iOS App Store. Give it a few more weeks or months and you there will be other emulator apps available on the EU iOS App Store. Now where are all the banking apps that we’ve been told would leave the App Store?
I don't recall anyone claiming banks would remove their apps from the App Store. That issue was that them getting access to NFC for payment they would remove themselves from the Wallet and force people to use their crappy apps. And yes, many banks have some really TERRIBLE apps. I think Comerica took their design and coding skills from auto UI coder rejects.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
And yet the DMA didn't go after Nintendo, Sony or Xbox, right?
Yes and perhaps you should study the preamble in the DMA why some American companies are targeted but not other American companies.
But the reason are two fold.
1: they don’t have a dominant market position
2: games can be purchased from alternative sources.
According to your argument here, those are "antithetical" to a free market.
Have I ever argued in their defense? Or what do you think my argument is?
Huh? But these people are expressing a legitimate concern about forking the App stores on IOS. This sentiment is independent of "emulators" and will happen over and over again. I think you're missing the argument here.
This isn’t a legitimate concern and 100% made up especially when The iOS AppStore has been fragmented almost since day one. Apps being available exclusively in the U.S. store, Swedish store, German store, Canadian store, Chinese store, Japanese store, Korean store etc etc etc.

Alt stores are just competition to Apple.
I meant he could have released it in the traditional app store rather than launching an alternate app store in the EU.
And he could do both. That’s the beauty of the free market. You can pick and choose. And I will simply pick one of the competitors when they are approved to the AppStore.
Such as the provenance Emulator and Ignited Emulator when they are approved for the iOS AppStore.
Both seen as superior to the Delta emulator.

Reactions: MLVC

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
So one question...

Why is it okay for people to tell me that I don't have to install apps outside of the App Store if I don't want to (even if it means giving up on an app that I may want to use because the developer decides to not make it available inside the App Store), but I can't tell people to get an android phone if they want a feature that isn't available on the iPhone?

So it's okay for other people to expect me to disadvantage myself so that they can benefit, but I can't have the same expectation of others???
It’s called principles. Only one of those scenarios involves Apple preventing competition in distributing apps on iOS, one of only two major mobile OS platforms. A market the touches upon, tangentially or directly, billions of dollars (possibly trillions?) in global commerce.

The idea that a trillion dollar company should be able to restrict competition as well as control what software roughly half the populace has access to doesn’t pass the smell test for some people.

Last edited:

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I don't recall anyone claiming banks would remove their apps from the App Store. That issue was that them getting access to NFC for payment they would remove themselves from the Wallet and force people to use their crappy apps. And yes, many banks have some really TERRIBLE apps. I think Comerica took their design and coding skills from auto UI coder rejects.

Literally a post on the previous page, bud.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It’s called principles. Only one of those scenarios involves Apple preventing competition in distributing apps on iOS, one of only two major mobile OS platforms. A market the touches upon, tangentially or directly, billions of dollars (possibly trillions?) in global commerce.

I don’t think it’s about principles at all.

This all boils down to power, and who is able to get their way and get what they want, consequences to everyone else be darned.

If these people were so interested in enabling competition, they would have opted for a platform which enabled functionality like sideloading and third party app stores right from the very start. Instead, they, like so many other people, opted for a close ecosystem and have reaped the benefits of the tight integration and now that they want more, a narrative is being spun about how we are all prisoners of Apple’s walled garden and only government regulation can save us from ourselves.

Nothing wrong here, IMO. Let’s just be honest about the possible ramifications, rather than try to hand wave everything away and pretend that everything will be a bed of roses and that there will be absolutely zero downsides whatsoever.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014

Literally a post on the previous page, bud.
That was a one-line hypothetical that came up in this thread. I am referring to the thousands of comments in th threads around this topic, articles access to NFC, and all the other EU- or DMA-related threads over the past month or two.

Other than one line asking about banks pulling their apps to an alternate nothing else has ever been brought up. I read that comment as a either bad strawman or a misconception of what banks would look to get out of the new accesses.

This is no way banks will move out of the App Store. But I can definitely see them pulling out of the Wallet.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I don’t think it’s about principles at all.

This all boils down to power, and who is able to get their way and get what they want, consequences to everyone else be darned.

If these people were so interested in enabling competition, they would have opted for a platform which enabled functionality like sideloading and third party app stores right from the very start. Instead, they, like so many other people, opted for a close ecosystem and have reaped the benefits of the tight integration and now that they want more, a narrative is being spun about how we are all prisoners of Apple’s walled garden and only government regulation can save us from ourselves.

Nothing wrong here, IMO. Let’s just be honest about the possible ramifications, rather than try to hand wave everything away and pretend that everything will be a bed of roses and that there will be absolutely zero downsides whatsoever.
How does someone choosing an Android enable competition? You’re still left with just two competitors. Not to mention a lot more goes into the choice than closed or open ecosystem. I suspect relatively few people choose an iPhone because of a closed ecosystem. I suspect far more people chose one because it works better with their other Apple devices, has iMessage, is made of glass and metal instead of cheap plastic, or for teenagers, is simply the cooler phone to own.

Who said there would be no downsides? Though I understand it may seem that way when juxtaposed with the folks saying that this would cause an utter cataclysm. Most people who wanted to see Apple’s control loosened didn’t say it would be free of any negative consequences. They simply believe the potential benefits outweigh the potential negatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sophisticatednut

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
That was a one-line hypothetical that came up in this thread. I am referring to the thousands of comments in th threads around this topic, articles access to NFC, and all the other EU- or DMA-related threads over the past month or two.

Other than one line asking about banks pulling their apps to an alternate nothing else has ever been brought up. I read that comment as a either bad strawman or a misconception of what banks would look to get out of the new accesses.

This is no way banks will move out of the App Store. But I can definitely see them pulling out of the Wallet.
Go back through the myriad threads on third-party app stores and I assure you you’ll find other references to the veritable horror of banking apps potentially leaving the App Store.

Edit:

Here’s another reference.

Look, if you think they’re making a poor argument, I agree with you.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So one question...

Do you have some examples of popular apps that aren’t available on Google‘s play store because they’re distributed via an alternate store or via side loading?

Reactions: freedomlinux

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
So one question...

Why is it okay for people to tell me that I don't have to install apps outside of the App Store if I don't want to (even if it means giving up on an app that I may want to use because the developer decides to not make it available inside the App Store),
Well that’s because this have always been the case since the AppStore was released. And it’s what you always do. As I believe I have asked you before with no answer.

What did you do before when an app wasn’t available in the App Store? What did you do when VLC was removed for licensing dispute?

Did you use another app or stop using iOS suddenly as developers refused to deliver on iOS?
but I can't tell people to get an android phone if they want a feature that isn't available on the iPhone?
Well what did you do when people asked for the flashlight functionality to be available on iOS without opening the video camera? Did you also tell them to use android instead until iOS 7 was released?
Or when people asked for the ability to look up stored WiFi passwords, did you also just tell them to get android instead, until iOS 16 was released?

In what way are you disadvantaging yourself? You value the AppStore more than the developer using another source.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Mailia

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2010
Finland
Hopefully this might force Apple to be less arbitrary in rejecting apps that may compete with their lackluster offerings.
I mean, it already kinda has. Just one month ago, Delta was on the list of apps that were not allowed on the App Store under any circumstance. Hence why the bellyaching about "having to give up apps because they're only coming to an alternative store" is so weird, because you've had to give up on Delta for the last five years because they couldn't be on the App Store.

Reactions: Rokkus76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.