Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Apple could have chosen to allow "retro" emulators in the App Store back in 2019 too. But for some reason they decided to wait only after the Digital Markets Act went into effect. Would've saved the developers the trouble of having to make an alternative app store for distribution in the first place.
Or we can just let business run its natural course and not ask government to dictate how business operates. The market has given a plethora of options for those to whom game emulators are a must-have.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Testut says that once AltStore PAL is "running smoothly," third-party app developers will be able to submit their apps for distribution outside of the App Store. The app marketplace is designed to be decentralized with no directory, so developers will need to self-promote their apps and direct users to their websites to install an app through AltStore.
Decentralized with no directory? :D So, worse than Apple’s App Store, got it.

Then again, I’ve always said that anyone depending on Apple putting their name on a list in the App Store to get sales (rather than marketing such that the apps name shows up in social media lists) are not business-ing right.

Reactions: hans1972

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
The snowball of litigation is already rolling and growing, Apple is at the bottom of the hill waiting to get hit.
At the bottom of the hill with a boatload of new money as Apple increase share due to having more and more features people want. Anyone who thinks that Apple’s not going to come out of this with a larger marketshare hasn’t been paying attention. Thanks to the EU to guaranteeing Apple’s growth in the market!

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

Orystal

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2023
If I download Delta on the US AppStore I will still have the app updates once I return to the EU AppStore?

Mailia

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2010
Finland
Or we can just let business run its natural course and not ask government to dictate how business operates. The market has given a plethora of options for those to whom game emulators are a must-have.
Do you think that Delta would be available in any region of the App Store had business ran its natural course without government intervention? Is it just the biggest coincidence in the world that the App Store, after around 16 years of existence, started allowing "retro game emulators" one month after the DMA went into effect?

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Do you think that Delta would be available in any region of the App Store had business ran its natural course without government intervention? Is it just the biggest coincidence in the world that the App Store, after around 16 years of existence, started allowing "retro game emulators" one month after the DMA went into effect?
I don't care that Delta is available and don't think that many Apps that I actually care about will be better on Alt App stores than they are on the Apple App store. Nowhere near worth it at the cost of using government to dictate basic business practices.

Reactions: strongy

Haiku_Oezu

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2016
This is a perfect demonstration of the EU’s utter incompetence
All they had to do was write the law so that sideloading from your computer has to be allowed

Nobody wanted any of this alternative App Store ******** (well Tim Sweeney did but I don’t care what that homunculus wants)

But no, the EU had to be completely incompetent and let Apple get away with roadblocks and this dumbass CTF nonsense

I’m done, screw Apple and screw the EU

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
I especially hate that Delta now isn't coming to the App Store in Europe. Now as a European I'm forced to install this other store if I want it. Some people kept claiming that people who don't want to install other stores would never have to but this was always going to happen.
And how many time have people here bleated that apps will not be exclusive to an alternate storefront? And that one would never have to install a third-party store to get any apps? Looks like it took all non of <counting finger> one day for that to be proven wrong. Not that anyone is (or should be) surprised.

edit: typo

Last edited:

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
I especially hate that Delta now isn't coming to the App Store in Europe. Now as a European I'm forced to install this other store if I want it. Some people kept claiming that people who don't want to install other stores would never have to but this was always going to happen.
Yeah it really didn't take long to prove those people wrong. Would have been nice if those people could have at least just been honest with themselves and admitted that something like this could happen. They kept acting like things could continue as always for the people who wanted it the way it was. As of now...we have proof that isn't the case. The bs fragmentation begins.

And for those who say this legislation was good for consumers...with this...we also have proof that this isn't the case either.
And how many time have people here bleated that apps will not be exclusive to an alternate storefront? And that one would never have to install a third-party store to get any apps? Looks like it took all non <counting finger> one day for that to be proven wrong. Not that anyone is (or should be) surprised.

Literally nobody has argued this, the only ones who have said this argument is you people

And you want to guess what we can do if you don’t want to use an alternative AppStore? You don’t install Delta and download an alternative competitor.
Sorry I don’t agree. It wasn’t the small indie developers who were fighting Apple in the courts for this. It will be the big users who will decide they don’t need Apple and want a share of that. You say only epic because they were banned but part of the reason they were banned is they were agitating for this.
Sorry but even the small developers fought Apple. It’s just that they don’t get in the news. And you can see that with the case in UK where thousands of developers are suing Apple for their commission.
Look at the pc market where if you are a gamer you might need to have half a dozen store apps to get the games you want. Apple thankfully was shielded from this as epic didn’t care about the Mac market.
Epic exist on the Mac… game developers don’t care about the Macappstore

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Literally nobody has argued this, the only ones who have said this argument is you people
Actually, quite a few people on this website in favor of the DMA have argued literally that. Quite a few who said this exact scenario would NEVER happen. As for the "you people" as you're calling us...we are the ones who called bs on the ones who said this wouldn't happen. Guess who was proven wrong here? I'll answer that for you: those who said this wouldn't happen.

I know it hurts to be wrong, but sometimes, you're better off just admitting it and moving on. The more you keep defending a failed argument, the worse it looks.

Reactions: strongy

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Their website? Which you can have an icon on the homepage anyway.
EXACTLY! We've come full circle where those of us who oppose the DMA were arguing that anyone could still pay Spotify et al through THEIR WEB SITE! Only now you wouldn't have an app on your phone for that service at all.

Right back where we started.

USB-Adapter

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2015
Can I install and use uYou+ without any hustle if I subscribe to this EU PAL thingy?

I use AltStore because of uYou+, but always fail to refresh AltStore one a week and have to use the web version of YT.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
N
EXACTLY! We've come full circle where those of us who oppose the DMA were arguing that anyone could still pay Spotify et al through THEIR WEB SITE! Only now you wouldn't have an app on your phone for that service at all.

Right back where we started.
Not all app can be website app thought.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Actually, quite a few people on this website in favor of the DMA have argued literally that. Quite a few who said this exact scenario would NEVER happen. As for the "you people" as you're calling us...we are the ones who called bs on the ones who said this wouldn't happen. Guess who was proven wrong here? I'll answer that for you: those who said this wouldn't happen.
I have been on the forum before the DMA was talked about and arguing as a loud proponent for alternative AppStores, and likely argued in every single article related to the DMA and the right to install software independently from Apple.

And unless I have been sleeping those times I can’t say I have seen anyone but iOSgeek who are a passionate opponent to my side and other using it as absurd straw man arguments against something nobody have argued for.

And used it more as FUD because people think developers owes people to provide an app in the AppStore.
I know it hurts to be wrong, but sometimes, you're better off just admitting it and moving on. The more you keep defending a failed argument, the worse it looks.
Anyone arguing it would be wrong on principle and absurd considering it’s an impossible thing. There countless apps that can’t be in the AppStore and alternative stores simultaneously.

If developers were forced to have their app in alternative stores AND the AppStore simultaneously then it would handicap the apps and make them useless. Just as almost every Mac game distributed on steam can’t be distributed in the Macappstore because of some limitations unless they make a separate version or downgrade the quality of the steam version.
What would an alternative to a banking app be if your bank doesn't distribute outside of an alternate app store?
Change bank, use a web app, use their website.

Exactly how people does it currently with their bank if they don’t have a dedicated ios app.

They don’t owe you an app to be distributed in your store of choice.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Change bank, use a web app, use their website.

Exactly how people does it currently with their bank if they don’t have a dedicated ios app.

They don’t owe you an app to be distributed in your store of choice.

This is RICH coming from you. Hahaha...so, let the market decide? Use an alternate business?

Where have we heard this argument before :) So funny...

*not to mention that this argument directly conflicts with the very post you made that I was quoting from.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
This is RICH coming from you. Hahaha...so, let the market decide? Use an alternate business?

Where have we heard this argument before :) So funny...

*not to mention that this argument directly conflicts with the very post you made that I was quoting from.
I have always argued for the market to decide… as long as the market has the ability to do that.

And I consider that iOS is a separate market and the AppStore that Apple enforce on user and developers are the completely antithetical to the idea of a free market.

Nobody could choose a superior AppStore, superior payment system, superior browser etc etc exactly how it works in the Mac is how I believe it should work on iOS.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
And I consider that iOS is a separate market and the AppStore that Apple enforce on user and developers are the completely antithetical to the idea of a free market.

Nobody could choose a superior AppStore, superior payment system, superior browser etc etc exactly how it works in the Mac is how I believe it should work on iOS.

And yet the DMA didn't go after Nintendo, Sony or Xbox, right?

According to your argument here, those are "antithetical" to a free market.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Yeah it really didn't take long to prove those people wrong. Would have been nice if those people could have at least just been honest with themselves and admitted that something like this could happen. They kept acting like things could continue as always for the people who wanted it the way it was. As of now...we have proof that isn't the case. The bs fragmentation begins.

And for those who say this legislation was good for consumers...with this...we also have proof that this isn't the case either.
What I find interesting are the people whining about Delta not being on the App Store in the EU when Apple themselves are the ones that didn’t allow emulator apps on the App Store until *checks notes* 12 days ago, thus incentivizing alt stores for such apps in the first place.

Please, spare us the crocodile tears.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
What I find interesting are the people whining about Delta not being on the App Store in the EU when Apple themselves are the ones that didn’t allow emulator apps on the App Store until *checks notes* 12 days ago, thus incentivizing alt stores for such apps in the first place.

Please, spare us the crocodile tears.
Huh? But these people are expressing a legitimate concern about forking the App stores on IOS. This sentiment is independent of "emulators" and will happen over and over again. I think you're missing the argument here.

andreagrandi

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2020
I‘m also torn about this.. because there is now way as European to install it on an iPad.

But Apple has really put the developers in a difficult position. They build AltStore just to distribute Delta in the first place, and after everything is finished, Apple goes.. nevermind allowed in the AppStore…
I get that they need something to be in the AltStore to make sense
Can a user from US install it on the iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.