Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I agree that it would be prudent now to wait till MWSF. We have just a little over 2 weeks now. Another price drop would be nice. We are certainly due for an update to the Cinema Display. This 20th anniversary of Mac will be a great celebration with a lot of cool updates. A 12th Day of Christmas with real meaning.

agn

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2004
I sure hope so.... :D

it is odd... Apple has the best swivel stand in the industry, the "neck" of the iMac, but their displays are in the same form factor of 4 years ago (or more): bland, lifeless and static!

A picture frame in our desk...

What is needed is the concept of the iMac neck as a basis for a range of displays, perhaps in a brushed metal frame too.

that would be a attention grabber in the shops, and could attract more people to consider and buy Apple products (like iTunes and the HP iPod do....) and get the "feel" of the brand.

Why this hasn't been done before, I can't figure out...

:confused:

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by carletonmusic
I thought SJ was against the idea that computers and televisions would merge. A 30" seems like a step in that direction...

It would still have 2-3 times the resolution of any TV so techically no it would not be a television. Also I doubt they will ever put inputs on it besides DVI or some other connector based on it. So if you had a digital source and an adaptor for the screen you could use it to display a television signal but it would to small because of the low resolution of even HDTB in comparison of the resolution capabilities of a 30" LCD monitor. So the only way to put TV on a computer monitor would be through the computer and I hardly consider that merging since that's been available for 20 years.

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
30' monitors would be awesome. yeah they're expensive, but have you seen them? the apple displays are worlds better than anything else out there.

i have dual 19' Samsung LCDs at work, and they costed about 800 a piece at the time (we're talking about PCs here), but dual monitors still present problems, like video playback being slower on your second monitor and stuff like that.

these huge apple displays are like having the area of 2 or 3 monitors, but not having to deal with 2 or 3 monitors, plus they have amazing picture quality.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Engagebot
30' monitors would be awesome. yeah they're expensive, but have you seen them? the apple displays are worlds better than anything else out there.

i have dual 19' Samsung LCDs at work, and they costed about 800 a piece at the time (we're talking about PCs here), but dual monitors still present problems, like video playback being slower on your second monitor and stuff like that.

these huge apple displays are like having the area of 2 or 3 monitors, but not having to deal with 2 or 3 monitors, plus they have amazing picture quality.

30 foot monitors would be awesome.

Personally the expense of even a 23" monitor is exhobanant since I can exceed the screen area of a 23" by buying two 17" monitors for 1/4 the price. On a Mac with a ATI9800 which has dual monitor output there is no speed difference in the displays.

Also Lacie and Formac both makes LCDs that are equal to or better then Apples monitors in both display quality and over all adjustability and adaptability.

cmx08

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
Wide Screen forever Apple

the bigest hit this year could be the introduction of wide screen for all the mac.

Wide 17" or 20" Aluminium LCD
Wide 17" or 19" (maybe cinema) eMac
Wide 16" iBook

Apple was the first one to make the wide screen Notebook and let's hope that it will be the first one to make the Wide screen transition for all the mac.

can really ask anything for the 12.1 and 15" imac tho ...

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Re: Wide Screen forever Apple

Originally posted by cmx08
the bigest hit this year could be the introduction of wide screen for all the mac.

Wide 17" or 20" Aluminium LCD
Wide 16" iBook

Great idea! That would be an awesome way for Macs to be even more recognizable in consumers eyes. "Oh, yeah, Apple makes the widescreen computers. That's so cool... I want one!"

With HDTV coming, widescreen is becoming the standard for broadcasting and content creation. Apple should lead the charge yet again!:D

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Re: Wide Screen forever Apple

Originally posted by cmx08
Wide 16" iBook

Are you on crack?

Where do you expect Apple to find wide-screen CRT displays?

A 16" iBook is just too ludicrous to contemplate.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Wide Screen forever Apple

Originally posted by MacBandit
What are you talking about? The majority of HDTV CRTs are wide screen not to mention Sony has a 24" widescreen computer monitor.

24" Sony

I would still prefer the Apple 23" Cinema Display! :)

That came from forgeting the shift key!:(

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: Re: Wide Screen forever Apple

Originally posted by wdlove
I would still prefer the Apple 23' Cinema Display! :)

Who could pass up a 23 foot display!?

Personally I find CRTs to be way more flexible and you get a hell of a lot more screen space period. If I was just doing text all the time I would either have an LCD and a CRT or just an LCD.

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wide Screen forever Apple

Originally posted by MacBandit

Personally I find CRTs to be way more flexible and you get a hell of a lot more screen space period. If I was just doing text all the time I would either have an LCD and a CRT or just an LCD.

Did this make sense to anyone here?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by Photorun
And we're still waiting!

I'm afraid that you are correct. I just can't believe that Steve will let the 24th pass without some new hardware.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by yamabushi
Okay...maybe on the 27th?

I'm going to be at my local Apple Store at Chestnut Hill on Monday the 26th. So it would be nice if something happens tomorrow.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I hope apple keeps the old lcd look maby have two lines of lcd's old and new styles.

an aluminium display would just look weird next to a g4 cube :(

m,tz206

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2003
New York City
So don't sit a few inches from it.

Originally posted by MacFan25
I wondered if Apple would come out with Aluminum Displays or not.

But, 30 inches seems like it could be strenuous on your eyes if you are sitting a few inches from it.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Hector
I hope apple keeps the old lcd look maby have two lines of lcd's old and new styles.

an aluminium display would just look weird next to a g4 cube :(

Why should Apple continue to make a line of products just because it matches something they don't sell anymore? Just remember there will be a lot of used older screens on the market that will match your cube once new screens come out.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Website Engadget.com Claims Aluminum Display Around Corner

Just posted today, May 27th, 2004

http://www.engadget.com/entry/5844174639663617/

Either they bought into a fake (which they as much admit to the possibility) or this is right around the corner. This web site usually doesn't post junk, so I'm kind of surprised that they bit on this one. Looking at the pics, I feel right off the bat that they're fake (it sits too far down and looks like it would easily tip over, given no back brace and very short feet) - and the info states that they'll be "...introducing it at the next Macworld Expo." :confused:

(supposed "side view" shown below - story and other pics at link above)

Attachments

• 5844164528551596.jpg
    5844164528551596.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 129
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.