Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthorumor

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Someone has too much time on their hands.
Besides, some product names are bad but you get used to it e.g. Windows XP, Nintendo Wii, and even iPad.
I would have preferred them to simply call it Mac OS. Kinda like a reboot of their MacBook, and falls in line with their other OS naming convention (Watch OS, iOS).

Peaceful

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Someone has too much time on their hands.
Besides, some product names are bad but you get used to it e.g. Windows XP, Nintendo Wii, and even iPad.
I would have preferred them to simply call it Mac OS. Kinda like a reboot of their MacBook, and falls in line with their other OS naming convention (Watch OS, iOS).

Oh I don't mind the product name. OS X is just fine. It's when you add the extra name that's supposed to give meaning, only it's meaningless. That's what gets me. Even more insulting, they talk it up as having such great meaning. Only it doesn't unless you've been there, because for most of us, we don't even know what the heck they're talking about without a lengthy explanation, and maybe a slideshow. And a history lesson.

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
Think of it this way Snow Leopard was a bug fixed and optimized release of Leopard essentially. So El Capitan (which is located inside Yosemite) is a bug fixed and optimized version of Yosemite. All the cat names were meaningless as well did you care as much then?

Peaceful

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Think of it this way Snow Leopard was a bug fixed and optimized release of Leopard essentially. So El Capitan (which is located inside Yosemite) is a bug fixed and optimized version of Yosemite. All the cat names were meaningless as well did you care as much then?

I'm all for a Snow Leopard-like bug fix and optimization. They really ought to do that at least every other release. I just wish they had picked a name where people I talk to respond with "That's a cool name" rather than "whaaaat?"

Peaceful

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Yes. Get a real life OP ;)

Best use of a winky I've seen this week. I like the new forum emoticons.

I'm surprised about the amount of "too much time" comments. Isn't that sorta the whole point of the forum? Maybe I should have posted in a less lets-get-down-to-business one.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I did not watch all of it, but my first response was wtf. I thought it was a joke similar to the guys on bikes.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
Mavericks was good, I thought.
Yosemite was fine.
I understand that this upcoming version is iterative, featuring improvements to the Yosemite core... so naming it a subset of Yosemite made sense. But there are way cooler names inside of Yosemite, IMO, that would've sounded better.
Tuolumne... Mariposa... Ahwahnee... Tioga... Wawona...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not liking the names at all. I didn't understand Mavericks (I'm not a California person), but Yosemite made sense but El Capitan does not.

Once I googled it, I understood the tie in, i.e., part of Yosemite. I think Apple failed in the naming convention if you have to google the meaning. Prior to this, we more or less understood the the Snow cat versions were more under the hood type upgrades .

Reactions: Peaceful

space1nvaders

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
My problem is just trying to Google these names for support. I always have to put Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite to find a match. Now with 2 words El Capitan or Captain (some people can't spell it), it's going to be ever longer.

How about...

OSX 11 instead of Mac OS X 10.11 for any Mac product

iOS 9.10 for the iPhone, iPad

Reactions: Peaceful

Peaceful

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Disappointed it wasn't Malibu like my concept :(

Also disappointed it wasn't Redwood or Sequoia, like I 100% expected it to be.

Now those would have been great names. I updated my blog post with a list of 10 better naming schemes (instead of just one), and one of them I picked (before I read your post, actually) was "Hardwood Trees." I don't know if those are technically hardwood...but they'd be awesome names.

Peaceful

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
I'm not liking the names at all. I didn't understand Mavericks (I'm not a California person), but Yosemite made sense but El Capitan does not.

Once I googled it, I understood the tie in, i.e., part of Yosemite. I think Apple failed in the naming convention if you have to google the meaning. Prior to this, we more or less understood the the Snow cat versions were more under the hood type upgrades .

Exactly! What good is it as a name if it leaves so many people going, "Huh?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.