Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Now those would have been great names. I updated my blog post with a list of 10 better naming schemes (instead of just one), and one of them I picked (before I read your post, actually) was "Hardwood Trees." I don't know if those are technically hardwood...but they'd be awesome names.

I mean, I kind of like El Capitan, but I agree it was definitely a weird name to pick.

I mean, there could have been worse, and at least they weren't cliché with a city name (The day we get OS X San Francisco, OS X Palo Alto, OS X San Diego, or OS X Los Angeles is the day I physically groan every time I have to see it - what is this? Microsoft codenames?)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Someone has too much time on their hands.
Besides, some product names are bad but you get used to it e.g. Windows XP, Nintendo Wii, and even iPad.
I would have preferred them to simply call it Mac OS. Kinda like a reboot of their MacBook, and falls in line with their other OS naming convention (Watch OS, iOS).

I think the "Mac OS" ship sailed a long time ago...

IMG_1591.jpg

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
When I first heard it, I thought El Captain meant "The Captain".

I miss the simple names. OS 8, OS 9, Windows 7, Windows 8.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I was hoping they would have named it Death Valley... Now I'll settle for El-Crappo...

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Does it really matter? I don't like it personally, but it doesn't really bother me.

Last edited:
Reactions: zxy

zOne31

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012

But, it does mean the captain in Spanish. Just that it's also a proper noun in this case.

I do miss the simple names too. But I like how Apple is going with California names seeing as they proudly state they're from California. The current naming scheme isn't much different from Android's desert naming scheme or the previous cat based OS X naming scheme.

Jess13

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I like Yosemite and Mavericks for OS X, but El Capitan seems quite dumb. I'll just call it OS X Captain.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Like you, I'm very picky and impossible to please when it comes to nomenclature. But I have to admit, as soon as the name popped up on the screen and Craig announced it, I had a split-second feeling of disbelief followed by OMG I love it.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

El Capitan is spanish for "the Captain", but it's also the name of a landmark (within Yosemite).

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
They should just call it OSX 11 or 10.11, and not advertise the names except internally. It's an OS not a movie.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
Mavericks was good, I thought.
Yosemite was fine.
I understand that this upcoming version is iterative, featuring improvements to the Yosemite core... so naming it a subset of Yosemite made sense. But there are way cooler names inside of Yosemite, IMO, that would've sounded better.
Tuolumne... Mariposa... Ahwahnee... Tioga... Wawona...

Ha. No way. Can you imagine all the people butchering the pronunciation of those? El Cap is iconic. They couldn't have picked a better name in Yosemite.

Reactions: mmomega

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Exactly! What good is it as a name if it leaves so many people going, "Huh?"
Well, considering that a name is "a word or set of words by which a person, animal, place, or thing is known, addressed, or referred to," I would say that it is doing it's job pretty dang fine. I like the iterave name, and believe you are blowing this largely out of proportion.

Besides, you're obsessed with names of cats. Hahahaha.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
They should just call it OSX 11 or 10.11, and not advertise the names except internally. It's an OS not a movie.
I have had discussions with people at my company about our internal releases. For many, it is far easier to remember the name of the operating system over 1) The Number or 2) The features.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
You're kidding me right? Its the name of the OS. You don't have to use it if you don't want to, but personally I like the name and its better then what some people were coming up with on here. I guess I should have expected this thread though, considering Mavericks and Yosemite had similar ones. Funny now their names were 'perfect' and El Cap is crap. I expect the same thing next year when Mojave drops. Its a never ending cycle.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
There're iDevices, there's the Watch, and there's the Mac. Only the Mac has descriptive names attached to it, and it's silly at this point. They should've moved on when they ran out of cats.

iOS #, watchOS #, Mac OS # + a place that no one knows.

Drop the latter, if only for the sake of cohesion.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
They're obviously just burning one of the crappier, less significant names for an OS release that's all about bug fixes. Where's the real surprise and shock in that? Just like Snow Leopard aimed to improve on the performance of Leopard, El Capitan refers to a landmark within Yosemite to designate that it's not a major feature release but rather a bug fix release. It's a derivative of the prior release's name.

I am still looking forward to when Apple introduces an OS X "Golden Gate," but I feel they are likely holding onto that for a very significant update.

At the end of the day, if you so choose, you can just call it OS X or OS 10.11. Nobody forces you to use the moniker Apple tags to their operating systems. Personally, I've always felt weird using these names in verbal discussions. Saying you're running "Tiger," "Leopard," etc. is likely to confuse somebody not acquainted with Macs. When Android people tell me they are running "Jellybean" or "Kitkat," I have no idea what the hell they are talking about. :)

Although, when somebody says they are running "Windows 8," everybody immediately knows what is meant. And then, this is generally followed up with awkward silence, condolences, and sympathy. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Theozz

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I don't think the naming scheme is awful, but I much preferred the big cat names. Maybe they should've gone aquatic animals (they were so close at WWDC 13 with Sea Lion... :p) or something along those lines.

I didn't mind Mavericks or Yosemite, but I think El Capitan is a bit strange as it's not an English name. What was wrong with Half Dome?

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
Wow! An angry soccer mom blogging about the naming scheme of some random OS! How genuine! The Internet has never seen that before!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I don't think the naming scheme is awful, but I much preferred the big cat names. Maybe they should've gone aquatic animals (they were so close at WWDC 13 with Sea Lion... :p) or something along those lines.

I didn't mind Mavericks or Yosemite, but I think El Capitan is a bit strange as it's not an English name. What was wrong with Half Dome?

I think the naming scheme DOES suck - there is no rhyme or reason to it.

With Android, they've got all these strange names like Lollipop, Ice Cream Sandwich, Kit Kat, etc. - but you can tell the ORDER of the OSes because they are in alphabetical order.

If Apple just named them in some order, like north to south in California, or alphabetical order, or something else, fine, it would make sense. But not the way it is now.

At least it's not as bad as Linux Kernel names :) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_kernel_names

These are the last few Linux kernel names:
3.12-rc1– Suicidal Squirrel[53]
3.13-rc1 One Giant Leap for Frogkind[54]
(NASA LADEE launch photo)[55]

3.14-rc1 Shuffling Zombie Juror[56]
3.18-rc3 Diseased Newt[57]
4.0 Hurr durr I'ma sheep[58] (Internet poll)

Reactions: navaira

SgtPepper23

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Los Angeles, California

Yeah, El Capitan is Spanish for The Captain. Remember it was the Spanish who colonised what would later become California. Some names have stuck since then, others haven't.

Even as a California native and Spanish speaker, i think it sounds a little silly. But i'll just remove the pronoun (El) and call it Capitan, pronounced kah-pee-tahn. and as others have said, the name will change next year... not to mention its just another name, the average person won't know the difference. i've had some people call their Windows 7 as "Windows 11 or whatever, the thing for my computer"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.